• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What book(s) are you reading now?

dust1n

Zindīq
truman.jpg

Margaret Truman, Harry S. Truman.

The president's life as told by his daughter. Very interesting so far.

Let me know if you find any goody goods in there. (Embarrassing stories or political disgrace)

Madhuri

RF Goddess
Staff member
Premium Member
I am currently reading The Boleyn Inheritance. It is fiction based on English history in the time of Henry Tudor.

Smoke

Done here.
Let me know if you find any goody goods in there. (Embarrassing stories or political disgrace)

I doubt that Margaret had much that was scandalous to say about her father, especially since she wrote the book when he was still living. But she doesn't seem to like the Roosevelt brothers much. I'll keep an eye peeled.

I'm enjoying the book.

Margaret Truman said:
I first met this extraordinary man on February 17, 1924. Naturally, I don't recall very much of that or subsequent meetings.

Smoke

Done here.

In 1940 he had gone over to the War Department and tackled General George Marshall. Dad was still a colonel in the army reserve, and he had kept up his study of field artillery.

"I would like very much to have a chance to work in this war as a field artillery colonel," he said.

General Marshall pulled down his spectacles, eyed my gray-haired father, and said, "Senator, how old are you?"

"Well," said Dad lamely, "I'm fifty-six."

"You're too damned old. You'd better stay home and work in the Senate."

Tartly, Dad replied, "You're three years older than I am."

"I know. But I'm already a general."​

Demonic Kitten

I'm in the process of reading "The Third Jesus" and "A Witches Halloween", but the process is slow because a new game (new to me) has my attention.

A

angellous_evangellous

Within the last week I finished Moby Dick, read War of the Worlds, and now Heart of Darkness.

This is in addition to my academic reading, which is enormous.

Noaidi

slow walker
Just finished 'Hardcore Zen' by Brad Warner. Amazing book.

Now started 'The Horse Boy' by Rupert Isaacson, a true story about a father taking his autistic son to be 'healed' by a Mongolian shaman.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
"American Steam Engines" by Thomas Hawley, published in 1902.
It's a fine survey of various designs, but it needs more & larger drawings.

Noaidi

slow walker
I love Brad Warner.

I hadn't heard of him until 2 weeks ago. Bought Hardcore Zen and was blown away by it. :bow:

Got another of his books 'Zen Wrapped in Karma and Dipped in Chocolate' on order.

Anyone read it? Any thoughts?

Last edited:

Smoke

Done here.
I hadn't heard of him until 2 weeks ago. Bought Hardcore Zen and was blown away by it. :bow:

Got another of his books 'Zen Wrapped in Karma and Dipped in Chocolate' on order.

Anyone read it? Any thoughts?

I haven't read it yet. I really like Sit Down and Shut Up, though, and I'm intrigued by the title of Sex, Sin, and Zen: A Buddhist Exploration of Sex from Celibacy to Polyamory and Everything in Between. Based on the two books and several articles I've read by Brad, I'd buy anything he wrote.

Noaidi

slow walker
I haven't read it yet. I really like Sit Down and Shut Up, though, and I'm intrigued by the title of Sex, Sin, and Zen: A Buddhist Exploration of Sex from Celibacy to Polyamory and Everything in Between. Based on the two books and several articles I've read by Brad, I'd buy anything he wrote.

Thanks for that, Smoke (and thanks for the frubals! Much appreciated)

ilhad

This past week I've reread Slapstick by Vonnegut, American Skin by Don De Grazia, and Shot in the Heart by Mikal Gilmore. I'm currently trying to read Les Miserable (something that's been 5 years in the making)....I seem incapable of getting past the first 200 pages, though.

Peacewise

"I am Right, You are Wrong" by Edward de Bono. 120+ pages into it, and it's excellent.

the other book I picked up from saturday shopping in adelaide is.
"Changing Minds" by Howard Gardner. Haven't started that but it sure looks interesting.

Smoke

Done here.
barchester-towers.jpg

Anthony Trollope, Barchester Towers.

I love Trollope, but I have mixed feelings about this Barnes & Noble Classics edition, which is the edition I'm reading. The explanatory footnotes -- eager to inform the reader that "1s and 4d" means "One shilling and four pence" and "cures of the diocese" refers to "offices of curates or ministers" -- are kind of distracting. I find that I can ignore end notes but not footnotes, and it's discouraging to be constantly reminded that the average American reader -- and even the average American reader of Victorian novels -- cannot reasonably be expected to understand a novel written 150 years ago in his native language.

Still, 500 pages of Trollope for eight dollars is nothing to sneeze at.

Peacewise

...it's discouraging to be constantly reminded that the average American reader cannot reasonably be expected to understand a novel written 150 years ago in his native language.

Still, 500 pages of Trollope for eight dollars is nothing to sneeze at.

Lol, aint the notes for the kiddies?
and 500 pages of trollop that cracks me up.