• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What are the mistakes Muslims do when informing others about Islam?

Shia Islam

Quran and Ahlul-Bayt a.s.
Premium Member
Originally Posted by *Anne*
I'm not the original poster, but I do appreciate this thread and would like to see it stay on topic. Perhaps the more personal issues can be taken to PM.

Just a humble suggestion.

Originally Posted by not4me
I wanted to make a similar suggestion. If I were Shi'a Islam, I would like to ask for this.

If taking such issue to PM will not lead the correspondent members taking them more personally then I agree :)

One of the points raised in this thread is that Muslims should be careful about Quoting Quran when talking with people who don't believe on it…

However I'll quote wisdom that is not specifically related to religious people:

"The good deed and the evil deed are not alike. Repel the evil deed with one which is better, then lo! he, between whom and thee there was enmity (will become) as though he was a bosom friend." Quran

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member
Being a Westerner myself, I've only ever felt the complete opposite, that Islam has opened the door for me and invited me in, and been more hospitable to me than I could have imagined. I'd say this perception of yours is due to your preconceived notions about Islam, rather than actual personal experience.

I disagree. Here's the thing: I don't claim absolute wisdom or compassion since I do realize I have a lot to learn. However, I'm not so self-deprecating to point out when I have been generalized as a "Westerner" before engaging in dialogue with Muslims.

Let me try to rephrase this in another way...not4me and I are in disagreement on many theological issues, but one thing we seem to agree on is the full integrity of strength in women. But simply because her views for the solutions of certain women's issues may be different than mine does not presume that she should be perceived as "backward" or "horribly repressed". That only creates labels and assumptions instead of understanding and harmony. In fact, I highly respect not4me greatly as a stand-out Muslim woman on these boards, and do not see her as the aforementioned labels. That has only come about through various exchanges she and I have had.

I do ask the same in return, and that as a "Westerner" - who does embrace secularism - that I am considered with the same respect.

Music theory shows us how a grouping of different pitches can either create a pleasing harmony or a messed-up cacophony of sound. My music training is admittedly rusty (LOL), but I wanted to show my intention of valuing our differences while seeking out exactly how to create the literal and metaphorical harmony I spoke of. :yes:

Abu Rashid

Mestemia said:
Since my point is going to be completely ignored (not that I am the least bit surprised) I shall take leave of this thread.

It seems to me your intention is focused on getting Muslims to infight. You won't be pleased until a Muslim is publicly attacking or opposing another. If Fathihah is misrepresenting Islam, then you'll find that Muslims will quietly advise her, not publicly denounce her as you seem to demand. That is the dignity and respect that Islam commands of it's adherents towards one another.

If you are shallow enough to take, what you obviously recognise as a misrepresentation, as representative of Islam, then that speaks volumes about your own integrity.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
It seems to me your intention is focused on getting Muslims to infight. You won't be pleased until a Muslim is publicly attacking or opposing another. If Fathihah is misrepresenting Islam, then you'll find that Muslims will quietly advise her, not publicly denounce her as you seem to demand. That is the dignity and respect that Islam commands of it's adherents towards one another.

If you are shallow enough to take, what you obviously recognise as a misrepresentation, as representative of Islam, then that speaks volumes about your own integrity.

It seems to me that Mestemia is in fact addressing the apparent relutance in calling the likes of 301ouncer and Fahtimah on their excesses.

If so, I understand him completely. It hurts Islam to let such excesses run unchallenged for so long.

Fatihah

It seems to me that Mestemia is in fact addressing the apparent relutance in calling the likes of 301ouncer and Fahtimah on their excesses.

If so, I understand him completely. It hurts Islam to let such excesses run unchallenged for so long.

Response: Or rather, it helps islam, and exposes the lack of credibility of those who challenge it, if you only knew.

Abu Rashid

What damages Islam is lack of unity, and I personally would never respond to naive attempts by detractors of Islam to attack fellow Muslims.

We're not overly concerned with what you, a disbeliever, reckon about Islam (due to your rejection of faith).

Our job is merely to convey what Islam is about, if you have sincerity within you, then it will reach you, if not, then it most likely won't. So don't give me this nonsense about "If you just denounce these guys, then I'll listen". You ignore the truth because inside you there is rejection of your maker, plain and simple.

Autodidact

Intentionally Blank
I confirm that i am more acquainted with debating Sunnis than debating or even informing Christians and especially Western people about Islam...

Being minorities in most of the Islamic countries, which are Sunnis, Wahabbis and even More than that, Shiites became very powerful in refuting the Sunni belief....This is to be referenced to the fact that Shiites were opposition during the the so called "the Caliphate Dynasties"...

When it comes to discourse with Christians and especially Western people on the other hand, i feel that i am -and i suspect many other Shiites as well- are less informed with how to approach such a discourse..

I mean western people are not interested in knowing whether the first Caliph Abu-Bakr was a holy man or a hypocrite ...or whether Shia is the true Islam or Sunni...

So what do christians and Western people find important topics to be discussed about Islam?

what do they want to know about Islam?

(Serious and impartial contributions only please)

I think one question a lot of non-Muslims have is why so many Muslim societies have so much horrible stuff going on: terrorism, oppression of women, honor killings, female circumcision, inequality, repression of homosexuality, and so forth.

Another one is why on earth you believe the qur'an in particular.

My experience is that many Muslims just post one fallacy after another, haven't learned the most basic logic, and assume what they're trying to show.

One issue that I come across is that when you point out something bad that Muslims do in the name of Islam, the poster merely responds that's "not really Islamic," as though that settles it, without even realizing the glaring fallacy they've just posted.

If I were to identify probably the single most popular Muslim core fallacy, it's the argument ad populum. This turns out to be at the core of why we should accept the qur'an. Again, the poster does not seem to realize that it's a fallacy.

Autodidact

Intentionally Blank
The best Islam has is someone like Fatihah as my beloved brother to me. None of the unbelieving mankind is worthy of a toe nail of a muslim brother like fatihah. Take that.

O.K., good example, thanks.

Is this post Islamic? Does this represent true Islam?

Commoner

Headache
What damages Islam is lack of unity, and I personally would never respond to naive attempts by detractors of Islam to attack fellow Muslims.

We're not overly concerned with what you, a disbeliever, reckon about Islam (due to your rejection of faith).

Our job is merely to convey what Islam is about, if you have sincerity within you, then it will reach you, if not, then it most likely won't. So don't give me this nonsense about "If you just denounce these guys, then I'll listen". You ignore the truth because inside you there is rejection of your maker, plain and simple.

What a healthy, tolerant attitude you have towards other people...

Fatihah

Response: Jazak'Allah good brother. I couldn't agree more. It is very humbling to see another muslim with the intelligence to see the obvious fitna trying to be advocated by certain non-muslims, especially amongst muslims.

301ouncer

O.K., good example, thanks.

Is this post Islamic? Does this represent true Islam?

you welcome anytime. A drop of blood of a muslim is more dearer to the creator then all of the Kabbah and everything that surrounds it. ;)

Fatihah's toe nail is actually very clean. It gets washed 5 times a day. :D

At least I came to the defence of his camp before anyone and it was a metaphore to show the unshakable/unbreakable brotherhood in islam. :yes:

You like it or dont. tough luck. :sorry1:

Last edited:

McBell

mantra-chanting henotheistic snake handler

No, my intention is to get Muslims who disagree with the bull **** the likes of Fatihah spews in every thread he pollutes to at least be addressed.
But it does not happen.
At least not outside the Muslim Sanctuary.

So it appears to non-Muslims that what Fatihah presents is the correct representation of what Muslims are like.

Thus the point that goes on being ignored by the vast majority of RF Muslims.

Sahar

No, my intention is to get Muslims who disagree with the bull **** the likes of Fatihah spews in every thread he pollutes to at least be addressed.
But it does not happen.
As long as you insist on mentioning names, your point is not going to be addressed by more Muslims and as you wish . I told you, there are certain non Muslim members who are good at nothing except polluting the threads ;), yet if we are really concerned about conveying a certain idea or thought, then mentioning names won't be necessary.

So it appears to non-Muslims that what Fatihah presents is the correct representation of what Muslims are like.
Nice try. :rolleyes:

I won't follow certain Muslims around the forum because I disagree or don't like their arguments' style. When it happens and I find a certain thread worthy of participation and I find myself in a disagreement with some Muslim members, I will express my disagreement and I have no problem with this at all. But I won't follow them in every thread they participate in "You nasty Shi'a", "You extremist Wahhabi", "You don't represent Islam"...etc. Many threads turn to be really ugly because of the two sides, not because of some Muslims only and personally I am not interested in such "messy threads". BTW, I know respected Muslim members who think this way too. They pick the threads in which they can have a meaningful discussion. Other than this, we shouldn't waste our time.

Last edited:

Sahar

In addition, it is very possible I don't represent Islam to some. If they want to object to my arguments and my thoughts, they are very welcome but I won't appreciate it if they stalk me all around the forum. :areyoucra

Autodidact

Intentionally Blank
you welcome anytime. A drop of blood of a muslim is more dearer to the creator then all of the Kabbah and everything that surrounds it. ;)

Fatihah's toe nail is actually very clean. It gets washed 5 times a day. :D

At least I came to the defence of his camp before anyone and it was a metaphore to show the unshakable/unbreakable brotherhood in islam. :yes:

You like it or dont. tough luck. :sorry1:

Muslims? Are these poster's words Islamic? Is this representative of Muslims?

Fatihah

But it does not happen.

Thus the point that goes on being ignored by the vast majority of RF Muslims.

Response: Refer to post 65.

Luminous

non-existential luminary
actually,what does it mean when you talk about equality between gender?we are binded with the fact which is "woman is not same with man ,physically, mentally,inside and outside".that is the fact.you cannot deny it. if you deny it,so,why should there is separate category for man and women in sports?in tennis let say,why we have different category for woman and man?why dont we just "vanish" the category if you said about equality?
your logic is unreasonable: woman is not the same as woman, and man is not the same as man. we are all different and unique. the question about equality is whether we all deserve to be treated equally, given we are all about the same. if women are on the general dumber than men, there would still be some who are smarter then some men. thus political inequality is rather unfair. it is very well accepted that women (in the general) are physically different then men.(this does not mean that sports are completely fair however) but social equality is clearly what is in question, and that sort of equaility has no real standards but what the society decides. in the all, women are just as valuable to a society as men, and should thus be treated equally and given equal rights.
-Eliot Wild explains quite well in post #25

Last edited:

Wotan

Muslims? Are these poster's words Islamic? Is this representative of Muslims?

I doubt you will get an answer.

IMO they ARE, or at least they represent those adherents to the faith that MATTER. The 301's of the world take the "Faith" into the public area and fully intend to compel others to at least act like they believed it also.:sad4:

These shy wallflowers who can't or won't speak up in defense of whatever they think the "Faith" calls for - they simply do not matter. Their silence makes them irrelevant.