• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What are the mistakes Muslims do when informing others about Islam?

Sahar

By far the biggest mistake Muslims can make here on Religious Forums is to allow Fatihah or 301ouncer to post in a thread.
Really? How can you stop anyone from participating in here? Actually, you don't have the right to ask this from anyone and Muslims here have no right to attempt to stop anyone from participation. Seriously, look at what are you saying and doing here. And how this thread was trashed because of your irresponsible post.

Sahar

Why don't we think that as we don't like certain members, we ourselves are not liked by others also...

Wotan

I disagree. Fatihah is representative of a small, but vocal, group I have encountered over the years, though such beings are akin to talking to a brick wall. I can't help but think that conversations with Fatihah are similar to conversations between America (or anyone else) and the Iranian Mullah-ocracy.

I'm not sure how "small" it is. What I am sure of is he represents those who take their faith seriously. He and the others mentioned along with ManofFaith and Jollybear and Danmac and Pat Robertson and the late unlamented Jerry Falwell are all true believers. What they believe - and most especially what they are willing to DO - matters to the rest of us FAR more than than e.g., .Lava or Dunmesiter.

People like those last 2 are harmless curiosities. The former group are dangerous. :sad4:

And plan to be. :shout

Wotan

'' . . . . but it's really childish to turn a good thread like this into personal quarrels. "

Sadly, it is NOT a personal quarrel. Would it were.

Fatihah

Seems to me that if the goal of the Muslim is to help people understand Islam, then Fatihah is the last person they want interacting with them.

Or at the very least call him out on his bull ****.
But the RF Muslims do not even do that.
They sit back and watch as Fatihah gives one of the worst possible impressions of Islam imaginable.
I wonder if they do not realize that their silence is taken as agreement with Fatihah and his tactics?
Or is it that they honestly do believe as Fatihah does and honestly do agree with his tactics and dishonesty and are just not as honest about it as Fatihah?

I know many Muslims outside of RF and the ones who I have shown this forum to are more upset with the Muslims who remain silent in the wake of Fatihah's disservice to Islam than they are with Fatihah's disservice.

To me, that is extremely revealing.

Response: Your strong push to have other's speak against me is quite telling. You've been doing it for a long time now. Anyone can see that your behavior stems from constantly being exposed of your absurdity, and now you seek some sort of redemption. That's why no one sides with you. (Except the few who are just like you). Why else would someone try so hard and spend so much time speaking against one individual? Your obsession with me though is quite flattering though. Whether you have dreams and fantasies of me wouldn't be out of the question either.

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
Response: Such responses are common, coming from a person who finds themself looking completely absurd when in dialogue. So in an effort to redeem themself, Fatihah has to continue to be your number one target. But the problem you continue to have is that any reasonable person can see your envy, so your every words only favors my case, and is a disfavor to you.
I thought I was being generous in my comment back to Mes about you. I think you have every right to speak your mind. More importantly, people should read what you say and understand well what you represent.

Long ago, I told you that the best thing was to simply let Muslims talk and that detractors would become unnecessary. You have proven my point a 1000 times over. Keep up the good work, Fatihah. :bow:

*Anne*

Bliss Ninny
I'm not the original poster, but I do appreciate this thread and would like to see it stay on topic. Perhaps the more personal issues can be taken to PM.

Just a humble suggestion.

Sahar

I'm not the original poster, but I do appreciate this thread and would like to see it stay on topic. Perhaps the more personal issues can be taken to PM.

I wanted to make a similar suggestion. If I were Shi'a Islam, I would like to ask for this. :)

Fatihah

I thought I was being generous in my comment back to Mes about you. I think you have every right to speak your mind. More importantly, people should read what you say and understand well what you represent.

Long ago, I told you that the best thing was to simply let Muslims talk and that detractors would become unnecessary. You have proven my point a 1000 times over. Keep up the good work, Fatihah. :bow:

Response: Likewise.

Fatihah

Response: That would be nice. Unfortunately, any thread concerning islam or me will get derailed once mestemia and company join in.

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery

Agreed.

*We now return you to the original program."
(Hopefully others will take the hint.)

Abu Rashid

Mystic Sang'ha said:
I think for me, the biggest mistake is when the "West" is politically and/or ideologically demonized. I like to learn, and as a "Westerner" myself, I feel as if the door has been slammed in my face from the start simply because of my own existence.

Being a Westerner myself, I've only ever felt the complete opposite, that Islam has opened the door for me and invited me in, and been more hospitable to me than I could have imagined. I'd say this perception of yours is due to your preconceived notions about Islam, rather than actual personal experience.

Sahar

Being a Westerner myself, I've only ever felt the complete opposite, that Islam has opened the door for me and invited me in, and been more hospitable to me than I could have imagined. I'd say this perception of yours is due to your preconceived notions about Islam, rather than actual personal experience.
I actually think that Mystic made a good point, I never paid attention to it before. I think addressing others by building common ground is a wise approach. But as a lot of our discussions and arguments focus on the differences, the ideological clash shall arise. In the middle of our disagreements, the common ground get lost.
It's worthy to mention, a lot of Muslims do try to approach Westerners by the Western mentality itself which in many times comes at the expense of our own religion and message. One example is the "scientific miracles in the Qur'an" issue. Because the West comes from a materialistic mentality and celebrates it, Muslims try to approach the West by the same mentality. This led to "the temptation to use science to validate Islam which often entraps Muslims with poor understandings of either concept" http://www.religiousforums.com/forum/islam-dir/98163-science-islam-rethinking-relationship.html This article goes further in explaining the harmful consequences of this approach. As Muslims try to present the Qur'an to westerners mostly through this materialistic approach, they ignore (maybe unintentionally) the basic spiritual and moral value of the Qur'an.

I don't know if this makes any sense. :eek:

McBell

mantra-chanting henotheistic snake handler
Since my point is going to be completely ignored (not that I am the least bit surprised) I shall take leave of this thread.

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist
I don't think Muslims make anything mistakes when informing others about Islam. They communicate very well the perspective of members of that religion, and do a great job at conveying its inconsistencies, problems, hypocrises, errors, and the underlying psychological motivations of believers in Islam. I say keep up the good work of showing Islam for what it is.

McBell

mantra-chanting henotheistic snake handler
Please say your point. It's not going to be ignored.
Here you go:

Seems to me that if the goal of the Muslim is to help people understand Islam, then Fatihah is the last person they want interacting with them.

They sit back and watch as Fatihah gives one of the worst possible impressions of Islam imaginable.
I wonder if they do not realize that their silence is taken as agreement with Fatihah and his tactics?
Or is it that they honestly do believe as Fatihah does and honestly do agree with his tactics and dishonesty and are just not as honest about it as Fatihah?

I know many Muslims outside of RF and the ones who I have shown this forum to are more upset with the Muslims who remain silent in the wake of Fatihah's disservice to Islam than they are with Fatihah's disservice.

Badran

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Here you go:

Well, i can't stop anybody from saying what he wants, especially because maybe that is actually what he thinks, and he is not being dishonest.

I agree i should comment on a Muslim if he is doing what you are talking about. I can't speak for all Muslims here, and i've only been here very little time, so i'm not sure what makes Muslims here stay quiet when such things happens. However i agree that it's wrong, because it would be taken as a sign of agreement.