• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What are the differences between men and women in your mind?

Terese

Mangalam Pundarikakshah
Staff member
Premium Member
The sociologist in me is greatly interested in what all of you think of the differences between genders, either socially, biologically, or mentally. Such a thread might get a little heated, so be respectful, please :D

Last edited:

Shiranui117

Pronounced Shee-ra-noo-ee
Premium Member
The sociologist in me is greatly interested in what all of you think of the differences between sexes, either socially, biologically, or mentally. Such a thread might get a little heated, so be respectful, please :D
Chromosomes, hormones, how our minds work, and muscular-skeletal physiology.

That, and men's brains are simple. We're easy to understand. Women, though... Lol no.

Terese

Mangalam Pundarikakshah
Staff member
Premium Member
Chromosomes, hormones, how our minds work, and muscular-skeletal physiology.

That, and men's brains are simple. We're easy to understand. Women, though... Lol no.
What hormones do you find play a large role in the difference between women? Does it affect our minds also?

Shiranui117

Pronounced Shee-ra-noo-ee
Premium Member
What hormones do you find play a large role in the difference between women? Does it affect our minds also?
The sexual hormones are mainly what I have in mind. Men have higher levels of testosterone, women have higher levels of estrogen.

Kemosloby

Premium Member
Women seek protection either from a man, or government, or in numbers. Men can go it alone.

Terese

Mangalam Pundarikakshah
Staff member
Premium Member
Women seek protection either from a man, or government, or in numbers. Men can go it alone.
Do you find this protection seeking biological or socially constructed? And are you saying that women constantly need help in life while men can be independent in life?

Kemosloby

Premium Member
Do you find this protection seeking biological or socially constructed? And are you saying that women constantly need help in life while men can be independent in life?

Im saying a man would more likely die before asking for help than a woman.

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
Humans are a sexually dimorphic species: there are differences between the sexes that are apparent in the bones (females have a wider pelvis, for example), in the organs (uterus, and genitals differ), and biochemically, estrogen and progesterone are not nearly as relevant for males as they are for females. Conversely, females tend to have lower testosterone levels. Women give birth. Men don't.

In terms of intellectual abilities, there are few differences that cannot be explained by social aspects. And, unfortunately, women have been denied social equality for thousands of years. That is difficult to overcome.

idav

Being
Premium Member
The sociologist in me is greatly interested in what all of you think of the differences between sexes, either socially, biologically, or mentally. Such a thread might get a little heated, so be respectful, please :D
I don't think there as much difference as society tries to say actually matters. But I do see the societal pressures. I was always raised up to be a "machismo", it was expected to have full unadulterated pride in being a male and all the bells and whistles that entails, like being "correct" orientation. I can't imagine people try and be "different" on purpose, whatever different is supposed to mean. Around where I live there is higher percentage of alternative lifestyles in full disclosure but the pressures are still there. There does seem to be something about how our minds are wired that predispose us to identifying a certain way, none of which matter in the scheme of how intelligent and articulate everyone can be. I don't know if any of that macho stuff really stuck because parents divorced at a young age and I married quite the independent woman. She does have the occasional issue opening a jar bless her heart. Ok there is some stuff I had to unlearn though, maybe still lol.

Jumi

At least "EQ" seem to develop easier for women. Our education system has a lot of teamwork and group activities where boys seem to be set up to fail and girls commonly have top grades, where in the past teamwork skills weren't required for a good grade and the situation was reversed.

Sakeenah

Men never remember, but women never forget. :D

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
The interaction of men and women requires either some separation or some dishonesty. There is a perceptual difference which creates different thought paths and communication methods, different cues and different expectations over and above that between two men or two women. There are male-female barriers in addition to the issues between any two people. The more we focus upon absolute understanding the more frustrated we become. This causes many problems in relationships. People cope with it different ways. Some give up and some focus too much. When this really becomes an issue is when there is a hurt or even just a perceived hurt, and then if there isn't already some kind of bridge of understanding that can turn into paranoia, bottomless anger, disgust, fear etc. So there are some severe issues that become apparent when people of different sexes (possibly gender roles not sure) try to share intimacy for very long.

That is not the whole story. Many seeming intimacy issues between men and women are not due to them being sexually different but due to a problem one and the other bring such as personality issues, dark secrets, family, culture, education, skills and so forth. We are talking about two different people, not just different sexes.

Nevertheless, many couples do this. They sleep in the same bed night after night for decades and get used to each other. I'm sure it must be worthwhile if they put up with so much trouble for it.

Terese

Mangalam Pundarikakshah
Staff member
Premium Member
I don't think there as much difference as society tries to say actually matters. But I do see the societal pressures. I was always raised up to be a "machismo", it was expected to have full unadulterated pride in being a male and all the bells and whistles that entails, like being "correct" orientation. I can't imagine people try and be "different" on purpose, whatever different is supposed to mean. Around where I live there is higher percentage of alternative lifestyles in full disclosure but the pressures are still there. There does seem to be something about how our minds are wired that predispose us to identifying a certain way, none of which matter in the scheme of how intelligent and articulate everyone can be. I don't know if any of that macho stuff really stuck because parents divorced at a young age and I married quite the independent woman. She does have the occasional issue opening a jar bless her heart. Ok there is some stuff I had to unlearn though, maybe still lol.
Your early life and spouse is fascinating to hear, thank you for commenting :) Do you still feel the need to be "macho"?

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member

I honestly dont know. Sex, yes. Gender no. The latter sounds like societal conditioning. If we taught men wore dresses and women wore pants back when would people in the wrong body of their sex wear pants or dresses? Mentally. I dont know. Im in the middle mentally if that makes sense to people if talking of gender. If sex, its physical and genetic differences.

David T

Premium Member
Women are crazy.... Men find that highly attractive. We would have it no other way in spite our complaints. I am not sure what that says about our half of the equation at all.

Humor aside male female is distinct but not separate it wasn't till 1870 we had any idea symbiosis even existed out in nature at all. If that's true then we really don't understand ourselves. It's something we understood thousands of years ago but was lost in the smokey din of progress.

Speaking of symbiosis your name triggered the name Therese for me. St Therese was influential in Thomas Merton thinking his thinking effected me. I read about her 30 years after reading Merton not realizing it. After reading I thought wow she reminds me of Merton and looked it up and sure enough she influenced his thinking. That's symbiosis And metamorphis in thinking itself. That's definitely not understood today. Jung called it synchronicity.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Humans are a sexually dimorphic species: there are differences between the sexes that are apparent in the bones (females have a wider pelvis, for example), in the organs (uterus, and genitals differ), and biochemically, estrogen and progesterone are not nearly as relevant for males as they are for females. Conversely, females tend to have lower testosterone levels. Women give birth. Men don't.

In terms of intellectual abilities, there are few differences that cannot be explained by social aspects. And, unfortunately, women have been denied social equality for thousands of years. That is difficult to overcome.
I've an alternative theory...one with slightly less scientific backing.....
Women's brains are smaller (this much is scientifically grounded),
making more room for a couple additional lobes:
- A random feeling generator.
- A random thought generator.
- A hormone turbocharger, with direct injection into the above lobes.
It can countermand & supercede the hypothalamus.
- A short circuit switch between the above lobes & the speech center,
thereby eliminating inhibitions from frontal lobe executive functions.

In addition the above differences, the temporal lobe bullies the parietal
lobe into submission, causing its function to recede.

idav

Being
Premium Member
Do you still feel the need to be "macho"?
Thanks I don't mind spilling a couple beans. Nah I don't dictate to the children that way, the step dad pretty much made those mysoginistic attitudes an aversion to me tough love kind of style I suppose if you can call it that.

WalterTrull

Godfella
...what all of you think of the differences between sexes
I’ve often pondered “Why two sexes?” After all: “from these very stones…” I seem to fall back on the need to understand the unity of creation. While I don’t take Genesis literally, the Adam’s rib thing is sort of catchy. What in the world is that all about? I keep coming back to unity rather than greater/lesser. Entities seeming to be naturally complementary might be a very fundamental level of teaching that. I suspect that growth and learning are what it’s all about. The differences 'tween the sexes, I think, are attractive.