• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What are the attributes of a worthy God?

Link

Veteran Member
Premium Member
But how would they know how to describe an all-powerful and all-knowing being? Can human words describe the divine?

All descriptions go astray regarding God, but they are still helpful, in getting us towards him. These are thousand and one shields or weapons, against dark magic. It's a prayer that protects the soul with armor of lights.

stevecanuck

A worthy god would understand that believing in him/her/it/them is a huge leap of faith, and therefore should not be a requirement for assignment in the afterlife. He/she/it/they would reward one based on one's deeds - not whether or not one blindly believes in him/her/it/them.

Sooooooo, not Allah.

Link

Veteran Member
Premium Member
A worthy god would understand that believing in him/her/it/them is a huge leap of faith, and therefore should not be a requirement for assignment in the afterlife. He/she/it/they would reward one based on one's deeds - not whether or not one blindly believes in him/her/it/them.

Sooooooo, not Allah.

This would only be true if he was not a living being connected and with all things. Otherwise, disbelieving in him would be a way to justify following caprice and turning away from duty and turning away from his guidance.

That can't be accepted.

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
What has God sacrificed? Allowed son Jesus to die? It seems that humans have lost more than God in that deal, since they don't have a kind demi-God among them.

Has God sacrificed his time? Does God listen to prayers without rendering aid?
You sacrifice when you give something of yourself. Jesus sacrificed when He gave His life, and He is God, in the Christian understanding.

Aštra’el

Aštara, Blade of Aštoreth
For a god or goddess to be worshipped within my spiritual-religious system… I must resonate with it, deeply and genuinely, and with purpose, with a sizable enough fraction of my spirit screaming out within to grow in their image.

robocop (actually)

Premium Member
What makes God worthy of admiration and praise?

What makes God worthy of worship?

And if you have no God, or many Gods feel free to answer.

I have nothing to debate myself, but I thought a debate forum would be the best way to explore the reasons people find a God worthy, or unworthy.
Justice and Mercy...

The ten sephirot in general?

Brian2

Veteran Member

I have nothing to debate myself, but I thought a debate forum would be the best way to explore the reasons people find a God worthy, or unworthy.

God is the creator of all things and God is just who and what He is with no apologies to anyone.

osgart

Nothing my eye, Something for sure
God qualities:

1. does anything He wants

2. doesn't care about you or other insignificant beings

3. set up the universe and life to have something to do (boring otherwise). Now watches like looking at fish in a bowl.

4. doesn't have to watch if doesn't want to

5. created you, can destroy you

6. threatens you with fiery torture for eternity if you don't do exactly as he says

7. fears nothing (but any confrontation might result in some pain or loss, so maybe allows evil to have its way)

So then what would a worthy God do? What attributes would such have?

Brian2

Veteran Member

Sooooooo, not Allah.

God will judge us based on our works and imo one of those works is choosing to believe imo.

Brian2

Veteran Member
What makes God just?

How would I come to know this justice?

When I said ""God is the creator of all things and God is just who and what He is with no apologies to anyone.""
I was not speaking about justice, even though God is just.

osgart

Nothing my eye, Something for sure
When I said ""God is the creator of all things and God is just who and what He is with no apologies to anyone.""
I was not speaking about justice, even though God is just.

Are you of the conviction that all people know God exists and is just?

Exaltist Ethan

Bridging the Gap Between Believers and Skeptics

The Omniverse: Totality, Essentiality, Eternity, Ubiquity and Potency
Humankind: Utility, Generosity, Sagacity, Sovereignty and Unity

The Omniverse has, is and will ever exist. I am not impressed by its cornerstones of divinity. However, humankind's extropic divine qualities are fleeting in most regards. I believe the stage of our human civilization is somewhere between sovereignty and unity, as we have mastered utility, generosity and sagacity very well. We as humans are able to create divinity from words to actions that become more words.

Kfox

For me the first requirement would be for him to love and respect me so much, that he would not want me to degrade myself by groveling at his feet in a way that I wouldn’t ask of my dog

Heyo

Veteran Member

I don't know what a god is, what attributes it has or what attributes would make it worthy - and it seems nobody does. But I'd agree to follow an experts consensus. Notify me when there is any.

firedragon

Veteran Member

Existence.