• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What are the attributes of a worthy God?

osgart

Nothing my eye, Something for sure
What would make God worthy of admiration and praise?

What would make God worthy of worship?

And if you have no God, or many Gods feel free to answer.

I have nothing to debate myself, but I thought a debate forum would be the best way to explore the reasons people find a God worthy, or unworthy.

Last edited:

MikeF

Premium Member
IMO

What makes God worthy of admiration and praise?

What makes God worthy of worship?

I have nothing to debate myself, but I thought a debate forum would be the best way to explore the reasons people find a God worthy, or unworthy.

For me, I suppose, the first requirement would be to actually exist. Once that was established, what I would want wouldn't matter, it would just be.

MikeF

Premium Member
IMO

IMO

For me, I suppose, the first requirement would be to actually exist. Once that was established, what I would want wouldn't matter, it would just be.

As a follow-on, if there were more than one existent entity, I would then have a choice. But again, there is the whole "actually existing" thing that would need to be settled first.

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member
New What makes God worthy of admiration and praise?

If I can experience them in na inner/spiritual dimension they are usually worthy of praise and worship.

But I stay away from some deities, due to not gelling with their modis operandi. Like YHWH

osgart

IMO

I think it matters because Gods are considered to be ideal authority figures. In other ways of God they may just be powerful authority figures and anything but ideal.

I think it's important in any event to know the gods that people serve. Serving the wrong God would be a dangerous thing.

osgart

If I can experience them in na inner/spiritual dimension they are usually worthy of praise and worship.

But I stay away from some deities, due to not gelling with their modis operandi. Like YHWH

For me I would chalk all my inner spiritual experiences to just being me only. I wouldn't know how to differentiate between a God, and me just having a powerful experience of my own.

MikeF

Premium Member
I think it matters because Gods are considered to be ideal authority figures. In other ways of God they may just be powerful authority figures and anything but ideal.

I think it's important in any event to know the gods that people serve. Serving the wrong God would be a dangerous thing.

I understand your point, and I apologize for the snarky post. But there was a point to it. If something were to exist, one presumably has no choice in the matter as to what characteristics it will exhibit. The tone of the OP seems to indicate some choice in the matter. Now, if the point of the OP was to say, of all the possible imaginary entities, what qualities would you choose for your fictional entity, then I could see how it might matter.

The OP also assumes that authority must be given and that worship is expected, or at least that is my impression. If so, why? What if the imagined entity was of the "set it and forget it" variety? No one there paying attention anyway, right?

Again, it all comes down to establishing the primary criteria, existence. After that there is no choice in type of entity, just whether one will comply or not if compliance is required.

In my opinion, anyway. I know this isn't a thread about the existence of entities, but I feel it is a factor.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
For me I would chalk all my inner spiritual experiences to just being me only. I wouldn't know how to differentiate between a God, and me just having a powerful experience of my own.
To me, everything is God, One, and a very very few are fully and permanently conscious of that. And every experience of that Oneness is a taste however fleeting.

osgart

It's quite possible that non believers, and atheists have things in their life they assign supreme authority to as well.

joe1776

I can think of only one essential characteristic for a worthy Creator: unconditional love. Hate the sin, love the sinner. Worship would not be a condition and Hell, as eternal punishment, would be impossible.

As for morality, let conscience (moral intuition) be your only guide.

Last edited:

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member

If it is a powerful experience, and I can't 100% attribute it to myself; it's a Deity imo

osgart

I understand your point, and I apologize for the snarky post. But there was a point to it. If something were to exist, one presumably has no choice in the matter as to what characteristics it will exhibit. The tone of the OP seems to indicate some choice in the matter. Now, if the point of the OP was to say, of all the possible imaginary entities, what qualities would you choose for your fictional entity, then I could see how it might matter.

The OP also assumes that authority must be given and that worship is expected, or at least that is my impression. If so, why? What if the imagined entity was of the "set it and forget it" variety? No one there paying attention anyway, right?

Again, it all comes down to establishing the primary criteria, existence. After that there is no choice in type of entity, just whether one will comply or not if compliance is required.

In my opinion, anyway. I know this isn't a thread about the existence of entities, but I feel it is a factor.

If a God were to exist I always have the option to not worship The Existent One, or Many.

As for a God's attributes, I never even considered the idea that I have no choice in that matter.

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member
I can think of only one essential characteristic for a worthy Creator: unconditional love. Hate the sin, love the sinner. Worship would not be a condition and Hell, as eternal punishment, would be impossible.

As for morality. Let conscience (moral intuition) be your guide.

I'd prefer my Deities to have and feel the full human range of emotion. So as to know exactly what it is to be human and how to handle it.

MikeF

Premium Member
If a God were to exist I always have the option to not worship The Existent One, or Many.

As for a God's attributes, I never even considered the idea that I have no choice in that matter.

So you are asserting that you do have a choice in an existent entities attributes? As an analogy, if you lived under a monarchy, you have a choice in your monarchs attributes?

osgart

So you are asserting that you do have a choice in an existent entities attributes? As an analogy, if you lived under a monarchy, you have a choice in your monarchs attributes?
No way. That's not even a consideration. My thread isn't about that.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member

Existing would be a good start.

Assuming the first hurdle is over then.

Caring, kindness, responsible, supportive, honest, moral, no jealousy, helpful, listening.

Basically all the things that the majority of god beliefs aren't

joe1776

I'd prefer my Deities to have and feel the full human range of emotion. So as to know exactly what it is to be human and how to handle it.
I make the assumption that if we had a Creator, it wouldn't need to learn about our nature.

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member

Well, He is the Creator, not only of me but of all things. But it's it's not enough just to be the Creator. For me to care, they should also care about their creation. In Christianity, I find a Creator that cares so much about His creation that He would become a human being, and suffer a horrible and tortuous death to provide redemption for us, when we had rejected Him. I find the Trinity to be the most spiritually satisfying and beautiful conception of the Supreme Being (God), and I've looked into almost every religion you can think of.