• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What are the attributes of a worthy God?

osgart

Nothing my eye, Something for sure
Well, He is the Creator, not only of me but of all things. But it's it's not enough just to be the Creator. For me to care, they should also care about their creation. In Christianity, I find a Creator that cares so much about His creation that He would become a human being, and suffer a horrible and tortuous death to provide redemption for us, when we had rejected Him. I find the Trinity to be the most spiritually satisfying and beautiful conception of the Supreme Being (God), and I've looked into almost every religion you can think of.
So your God is one of Supreme sacrifice I take it.

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
So your God is one of Supreme sacrifice I take it.
That's one way of looking at it, but I see it more as (and Christianity teaches it as) self-sacrificial love, selfless love (i.e. without selfish motivation) and sharing of self in a community. The Trinity is a very mystical concept.

osgart

That's one way of looking at it, but I see it more as (and Christianity teaches it as) self-sacrificial love, selfless love (i.e. without selfish motivation) and sharing of self in a community. The Trinity is a very mystical concept.

There's nothing more noble and caring then self sacrificial, selfless love for the sake of others. So I wouldn't argue against that as a worthy quality.

Bathos Logos

It would take a lot for me to even accept that something was a "god" in the first place, honestly. Once that had been established, and the thing had been demonstrated to meet some basic definition of "god" that I could accept, only then would it even make sense to discuss what qualities it did or didn't have that would make it worthy of admiration and praise.

And what I find truly interesting is that as I sit here, thinking on what those attributes might be, I realize they are the attributes that I, myself, highly prize. For example, I don't think I could admire, or praise the actions or reactions of a God that shied away from confrontation. Though I wouldn't look to it to actively start confrontations, as this doesn't promote peace (another item of high prize on my list), I would admire the idea that it reacted to confrontation brought to its doorstep with fortitude and a cool head. I would admire it only if it always had rational and practical reasoning backing any and all prescriptions or requirements it had of people, and readily and freely gave those reasons honestly and forthrightly. I would admire it if it had the best interests of all living things in mind, and not just the best interests of human beings - if it could and would cherish and honor the perspectives of the other denizens of this planet who I feel deserve such consideration just as much as humans. In other words, it would need to be very much unlike many of the gods that have been presented by various religions in order for me to genuinely admire the way it behaved.

Sgt. Pepper

All you need is love.
What makes God worthy of admiration and praise?

What makes God worthy of worship?

And if you have no God, or many Gods feel free to answer.

I have nothing to debate myself, but I thought a debate forum would be the best way to explore the reasons people find a God worthy, or unworthy.

To be blunt, a god worthy of my worship, admiration, and praise would have to be the polar opposite of the vengeful, unjust, barbaric, and jealous God I read about in the Old Testament and in other books of the Bible. I will never again consider a god who deliberately causes disasters and calamities, kills with impunity, and willingly allows violence and human suffering in the world a god worthy of my worship, praise, and admiration. Lastly, I'll never again consider a god who turned a blind eye to the abuse I suffered as a child a god worthy of my worship, praise, and admiration. On the contrary, I consider such a god well deserving of being shunned and rejected.

Altfish

Veteran Member

I have nothing to debate myself, but I thought a debate forum would be the best way to explore the reasons people find a God worthy, or unworthy.
I think the only god that I could admire is one who does not demand that I worship/praise her/him.

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member

Admiration and praise? The same as for any other entity: doing good things, being helpful, caring for others, going over and above in some positive way.

Worship? I can't think of anything that would make something worthy of worship.

osgart

I think the only god that I could admire is one who does not demand that I worship/praise her/him.

To demand worship and praise from me, I would expect that God to be my ultimate saviour with flawless character, compassion, and every fair quality one can think of.

osgart

I still would not worship or praise any god
How do you define worship and praise?

I certainly wouldn't do crazy rituals, nor would I do what a lot of people consider worship to be.

To me worship is about reverence, and reverence requires for me that a God would be ideal and far above me in every character way.

I don't believe any living entity is ideal in any way, nor is anyone that far above.

Clara Tea

God qualities:

1. does anything He wants

2. doesn't care about you or other insignificant beings

3. set up the universe and life to have something to do (boring otherwise). Now watches like looking at fish in a bowl.

4. doesn't have to watch if doesn't want to

5. created you, can destroy you

6. threatens you with fiery torture for eternity if you don't do exactly as he says

7. fears nothing (but any confrontation might result in some pain or loss, so maybe allows evil to have its way)

Clara Tea

What has God sacrificed? Allowed son Jesus to die? It seems that humans have lost more than God in that deal, since they don't have a kind demi-God among them.

Has God sacrificed his time? Does God listen to prayers without rendering aid?

Clara Tea

IMO

For me, I suppose, the first requirement would be to actually exist. Once that was established, what I would want wouldn't matter, it would just be.

It would matter to me that an all-powerful being might want me tortured in flames for all eternity. However, nothing that I could do could stop an all-powerful God.

But doesn't that also imply that we don't have to do anything for God, since God has the ability to do everything. So, if God told Abraham to kill his son, Isaac, why would Abraham have to do that (especially since God told us not to kill)? Couldn't God merely blink an eye or wave a hand, and kill Isaac for himself? Maybe it is about watching the drama unfold (like watching TV). Are we just tools of entertainment for an all-powerful God that already knows the future?

Clara Tea

It would take a lot for me to even accept that something was a "god" in the first place, honestly. Once that had been established, and the thing had been demonstrated to meet some basic definition of "god" that I could accept, only then would it even make sense to discuss what qualities it did or didn't have that would make it worthy of admiration and praise.

And what I find truly interesting is that as I sit here, thinking on what those attributes might be, I realize they are the attributes that I, myself, highly prize. For example, I don't think I could admire, or praise the actions or reactions of a God that shied away from confrontation. Though I wouldn't look to it to actively start confrontations, as this doesn't promote peace (another item of high prize on my list), I would admire the idea that it reacted to confrontation brought to its doorstep with fortitude and a cool head. I would admire it only if it always had rational and practical reasoning backing any and all prescriptions or requirements it had of people, and readily and freely gave those reasons honestly and forthrightly. I would admire it if it had the best interests of all living things in mind, and not just the best interests of human beings - if it could and would cherish and honor the perspectives of the other denizens of this planet who I feel deserve such consideration just as much as humans. In other words, it would need to be very much unlike many of the gods that have been presented by various religions in order for me to genuinely admire the way it behaved.

It is possible that a creature could have created everything, but why does that creature have to be good and self-sacrificing?

Link

Veteran Member
Premium Member
What has God sacrificed?

God loves exalted chosen ones above all else. He could've kept them hidden and no need to come to this world, they would be beloved by him none the less. But he brought them out of his mercy, and they suffered greatly, not through physical pain though 7th Successor of Mohammad (s) was tortured in Jail for a great part of his life, and not through any pain we really understand, but rather, the love they had for humanity and watching them turn away from God while they did not force the issue on them. And they won't force the proofs, but just show enough miracles and spent their time trying to help humans only to watch them hate God and his light. They who are of immense power, watched by God, weren't told to use their powers and become immune to suffering, being killed, imprisoned, etc. They only die if they wish, and they were mostly all killed by enemies, so that we are willing to sacrifice our lives as well for love of God and his servants.

This favor of letting his exalted gems come down to this unworthy place beneath their dignity and guide us back to God while they suffer immensely witnessing our deeds outwardly and in the unseen being witnesses to the exact unseen state of our deeds, this is a great favor by God, and his beloved exalted chosen ones, if they asked God not to let them descend, he would approve, but they cared about us and they do as God wishes, and so came to this world and were brought out of the unseen realms of beauty and majesty with God, to this world where people turn away from God for petty desires and run away from God's judgment and light "as if fleeing from a lion" (quote from Quran).

MikeF

Premium Member
It would matter to me that an all-powerful being might want me tortured in flames for all eternity. However, nothing that I could do could stop an all-powerful God.

But doesn't that also imply that we don't have to do anything for God, since God has the ability to do everything. So, if God told Abraham to kill his son, Isaac, why would Abraham have to do that (especially since God told us not to kill)? Couldn't God merely blink an eye or wave a hand, and kill Isaac for himself? Maybe it is about watching the drama unfold (like watching TV). Are we just tools of entertainment for an all-powerful God that already knows the future?

Again, for me, I don't have to worry about any of that speculation. Unless and until there is an actual entity to talk about, I just need to keep on keep'n on, being the best person I can be.