• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

We are the champions ...

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
Neanderthals And Humans Were at War For Over 100,000 Years, Evidence Shows

Instead, for thousands of years, we must have tested their fighters, and for thousands of years, we kept losing. In weapons, tactics, strategy, we were fairly evenly matched. Neanderthals probably had tactical and strategic advantages. They'd occupied the Middle East for millennia, doubtless gaining intimate knowledge of the terrain, the seasons, how to live off the native plants and animals. In battle, their massive, muscular builds must have made them devastating fighters in close-quarters combat. Their huge eyes likely gave Neanderthals superior low-light vision, letting them manoeuvre in the dark for ambushes and dawn raids. Finally, the stalemate broke, and the tide shifted. We don't know why. It's possible the invention of superior ranged weapons – bows, spear-throwers, throwing clubs – let lightly-built Homo sapiens harass the stocky Neanderthals from a distance using hit-and-run tactics. Or perhaps better hunting and gathering techniques let sapiens feed bigger tribes, creating numerical superiority in battle. Even after primitive Homo sapiens broke out of Africa 200,000 years ago, it took over 150,000 years to conquer Neanderthal lands. In Israel and Greece, archaic Homo sapiens took ground only to fall back against Neanderthal counteroffensives, before a final offensive by modern Homo sapiens, starting 125,000 years ago, eliminated them. This wasn't a blitzkrieg, as one would expect if Neanderthals were either pacifists or inferior warriors, but a long war of attrition. Ultimately, we won. But this wasn't because they were less inclined to fight. In the end, we likely just became better at war than they were.

Was it really like this? :astonished: (added to emphasize my doubt)

Last edited:

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion

Instead, for thousands of years, we must have tested their fighters, and for thousands of years, we kept losing. In weapons, tactics, strategy, we were fairly evenly matched. Neanderthals probably had tactical and strategic advantages. They'd occupied the Middle East for millennia, doubtless gaining intimate knowledge of the terrain, the seasons, how to live off the native plants and animals. In battle, their massive, muscular builds must have made them devastating fighters in close-quarters combat. Their huge eyes likely gave Neanderthals superior low-light vision, letting them manoeuvre in the dark for ambushes and dawn raids. Finally, the stalemate broke, and the tide shifted. We don't know why. It's possible the invention of superior ranged weapons – bows, spear-throwers, throwing clubs – let lightly-built Homo sapiens harass the stocky Neanderthals from a distance using hit-and-run tactics. Or perhaps better hunting and gathering techniques let sapiens feed bigger tribes, creating numerical superiority in battle. Even after primitive Homo sapiens broke out of Africa 200,000 years ago, it took over 150,000 years to conquer Neanderthal lands. In Israel and Greece, archaic Homo sapiens took ground only to fall back against Neanderthal counteroffensives, before a final offensive by modern Homo sapiens, starting 125,000 years ago, eliminated them. This wasn't a blitzkrieg, as one would expect if Neanderthals were either pacifists or inferior warriors, but a long war of attrition. Ultimately, we won. But this wasn't because they were less inclined to fight. In the end, we likely just became better at war than they were.

Was it really like this?

No, because there is no evidence for that. It is not evidence, it is a story claiming evidence.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member

Was it really like this?

Early humans (crp-magnon) were not that lightly built. Bone structure was considerably more dense and evoled for strength. Besides their skulls being more dense than modern day humans the brain case was approximately 13% larger than today humans indicating they had larger brains. Did that large brain give them a strategic advantage over Neanderthal?

And if course it was not all war, about 4% of our DNA derives from mating with Neanderthal

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
I tend to agree - and I also tend to see such in much of what we might like to project onto the past - given the sparsity of evidence we often base our assumptions on.

Example from war - you don't always win because of superior weapon, you win because of superior numbers and/or logistics.

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
Early humans (crp-magnon) were not that lightly built. Bone structure was considerably more dense and evoled for strength. Besides their skulls being more dense than modern day humans the brain case was approximately 13% larger than today humans indicating they had larger brains. Did that large brain give them a strategic advantage over Neanderthal?

And if course it was not all war, about 4% of our DNA derives from mating with Neanderthal
Were we in conflict at all with the Neanderthals - given that some of the evidence might come from animal interactions? If so, perhaps we were as 'choosy' as we have tended to be in the known past - what with conquered peoples and how we treated females of such. And larger brains doesn't necessarily imply more intelligence perhaps - smaller and more efficient?

I've no idea of course, but the previous view seemed to be that we inhabited different areas, didn't compete directly, and that the methods of H Sapiens worked better so as to make our survival more likely. :shrug:

ChristineM

Premium Member
I tend to agree - and I also tend to see such in much of what we might like to project onto the past - given the sparsity of evidence we often base our assumptions on.

There is plenty of evidence about cro-magnon, not enough but enough to work with. It's one of the reasons we moved here, so i could indulge my hobby of crawling about in caves looking for cro-magnon artefacts. We have a very good museum of pre history much of which is dedicated to the period (see my avatar there)

But information about their interaction with Neanderthal is, as you say, sparse.

As an assdide, there is a Neanderthal burial site not to far away, i was asked to look at it and the artifacts, including Neanderthal pottery and skeletal remains. And got a severe ticking off for poking my finger in the eye socket of a skull, well its something you just have to do;-). I simply wanted to feel the bone but it looked kind of gross to the anthropologist.

ChristineM

Premium Member
Were we in conflict at all with the Neanderthals - given that some of the evidence might come from animal interactions? If so, perhaps we were as 'choosy' as we have tended to be in the known past - what with conquered peoples and how we treated females of such. And larger brains doesn't necessarily imply more intelligence perhaps - smaller and more efficient?

I've no idea of course, but the previous view seemed to be that we inhabited different areas, didn't compete directly, and that the methods of H Sapiens worked better so as to make our survival more likely. :shrug:

The grave site i mentioned is dated 38000 years ago, cro magnon didnt arrive in the area untill about 35000 years ago so there is little chance of interaction.

Perhaps they saw what was coming and moved south through Spain . I understanding the last stronghold od Neanderthal was Gibraltar.

ChristineM

Premium Member
No, they didn't want to mate with their own women, so their genetic code got watered down and assimilated.

Seems its our genetic code got diluted by around 4% as individuals. Add ill together and the human race carries about a fifth of the Neanderthal genetic code?

As to Neanderthal... Who knows?

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
That's not how we really do this as there are different levels of uncertainty, and I say "uncertainty" as we always want to keep it open that somewhere along the line that we could be in error, large or small. We don't use "assumptions", or at least we're not supposed to, and any anthropologist who does as such will assuredly get cross-examined, which could be very traumatic for them. Even an hypothesis must contain evidence that it could be true.