• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

We Are Alone in the Universe!

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
I suppose I consider problem solving to be a horse of a different color as opposed to speculation on the unverifiable. If our current level of understanding and technology does not permit us to properly survey the universe for life, then I suggest we focus on those issues that can be addressed. If life sprung up once, could it happen again elsewhere? Sure. But if it is physically impossible for us to leave our solar system, it does not make sense to argue over it, does it? Lot's to be getting on with right here at home.
Interstellar travel may always be an impossibility. The distances are so huge and the difficulties so enormous that we may be stuck here forever. The same may apply to other intelligences.

MikeF

Premium Member
We do that all the time. But occasionally, the fact of a possibility allows us to move in directions that we would not otherwise have the courage to move. And having done so, we create the very thing that we previously could only hope to be possible.

Absolutely. Imagination is the mother of invention. But to argue speculation as if it is an eternal truth seems a little overboard. I'm not saying we shouldn't be mindful of possibilities in our explorations, just mindful of our current limits to verify.

PureX

Veteran Member
Absolutely. Imagination is the mother of invention. But to argue speculation as if it is an eternal truth seems a little overboard. I'm not saying we shouldn't be mindful of possibilities in our explorations, just mindful of our current limits to verify.
Speculations are no longer speculations, once verified or dispelled. Faith is no longer necessary when we have knowledge. But we humans don't always get verification, or knowledge. Very often we have to act on speculation, and on faith. Even atheists. Yet for some reason when theists do this with God, atheists think it's outrageously foolish. And the bias is obvious (to me).

MikeF

Premium Member
Speculations are no longer speculations, once verified or dispelled. Faith is no longer necessary when we have knowledge. But we humans don't always get verification, or knowledge. Very often we have to act on speculation, and on faith. Even atheists. Yet for some reason when theists do this with God, atheists think it's outrageously foolish. And the bias is obvious (to me).

Hmmm. I think we have covered this elsewhere. It all depends on what you mean by "faith". One use of the word faith is synonymous with the word hope, as in the outcome or event is not certain, but we have some expectation that it will be so. Another use of the word "faith" is synonymous "blind faith", and it is this usage that is most often used in religious context. Faith synonymous with blind faith means to cling to an idea or belief without any foundation, and often held in spite of information that directly conflicts or contradicts the held belief.

Are there times when we come to a crossroads and we need to make a choice to move forward, of course. But such instances need continual reevaluation. If it turns out to be the wrong choice, one must be willing to abandon that path and try again, not simply have blind faith that it will eventually work out.

ecco

Veteran Member
As long as you keep choosing to see it that way, it will make you miserable. So WHY CHOOSE IT?
436835e71816057dadb5531528b13937.jpg