• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

We Are Alone in the Universe!

There is absolutely no evidence that intelligent and/or complex life exists elsewhere in the universe. So we must assume that we are alone in the universe and must be the only intelligent life that exist in it. Couple that with my belief that God does not exist, I feel somewhat sad and more convince that life is indeed absurd.

Last edited by a moderator:

Left Coast

This Is Water
Staff member
Premium Member
There is absolutely no evidence that intelligent and/or complex life exists elsewhere in the universe. So we must assume that we are alone in the universe and must be the only intelligent life that exist in it. Couple that with the fact that God does not exist, I feel somewhat sad and more convince that life is indeed absurd.

That we don't currently have evidence for other life doesn't mean it doesn't exist. So we have no reason to assume that's the case. The jury is just still out.

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
There is absolutely no evidence that intelligent and/or complex life exists elsewhere in the universe. So we must assume that we are alone in the universe and must be the only intelligent life that exist in it. Couple that with the fact that God does not exist, I feel somewhat sad and more convince that life is indeed absurd.

Well, that's disappointing.

I guess we can turn the lights off and shut down the forum now.

Thank you everybody for your contributions!!

That we don't currently have evidence for other life doesn't mean it doesn't exist. So we have no reason to assume that's the case. The jury is just still out.
People have been using that as an argument for theism and it is still a fallacy. I guess the jury is still out on the existence of Invisible Pink Unicorns and Zeus.

Left Coast

This Is Water
Staff member
Premium Member
People have been using that as an argument for theism and it is still a fallacy. I guess the jury is still out on the existence of Invisible Pink Unicorns and Zeus.

Correct. We have no clue whether invisible pink unicorns, or Zeus, exist somewhere that we haven't looked. That's not an "excuse" for theism, it's just a statement of what we don't know.

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
At least we know why they aren't showing up when we keep inviting them.

Are you kidding me? Look at this place! It's a mess!

If you were invited to a house where everybody was polluting, arguing, fighting, and disagreeing, would you want to go?

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member

As intelligent beings we must assume that we don't know if there is other Intelligent life in the universe.

I look at it this way, it seems that entropy is the force driving life to form, entropy is happening everywhere. So given the number of planets that could possibly be habitable it seems an awful waste of space if no other life has evolved.

In 1900 there was no evidence of black holes. So I guess they didn't exist until what...1916?
Correct. We have no clue whether invisible pink unicorns, or Zeus, exist somewhere that we haven't looked. That's not an "excuse" for theism, it's just a statement of what we don't know.
Is it statistically probable that Invisible Pink Unicorns or Zeus exist or is it statistically improbable that they exist? I highly doubt Invisible Pink Unicorns can exist. They are an absurdity and so is intelligent life on other planets.

As intelligent beings we must assume that we don't know if there is other Intelligent life in the universe.

I look at it this way, it seems that entropy is the force driving life to form, entropy is happening everywhere. So given the number of planets that could possibly be habitable it seems an awful waste of space if no other life has evolved.
Why would it be a waste of space?

Left Coast

This Is Water
Staff member
Premium Member
Is it statistically probable that Invisible Pink Unicorns or Zeus exist or is it statistically improbable that they exist?

I'd say statistically improbable. But you can't go from "statistically improbable" to "definitely doesn't exist."

I highly doubt Invisible Pink Unicorns can exist. They are an absurdity and so is intelligent life on other planets.

How did you reach the second half there? How is intelligent life on other planets absurd?

Yup, just like the sun revolved around the earth until Copernicus was born, at which time the sun and earth traded places just to confuse everybody. :thumbsup:
There was evidence and people didn't see it yet. This isn't just about that lack of evidence that intelligent alien life but the ample evidence that intelligent alien life does not exist.

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member
There was evidence and people didn't see it yet. This isn't just about that lack of evidence that intelligent alien life but the ample evidence that intelligent alien life does not exist.
There's always been ample evidence that the sun revolves around the Earth, like the fact that if you look up in the sky that's what it looks like it's doing.

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
Is it statistically probable that Invisible Pink Unicorns or Zeus exist or is it statistically improbable that they exist? I highly doubt Invisible Pink Unicorns can exist.

Are you seriously comparing the probability of the existence of pink unicorns to the probability of intelligent life on other planets?

What are your thoughts on the probability of pink unicorns on other planets?

There is so much of it, and one small, insignificant planet with life?
But look what it took for life on earth to evolve, all the phenomena that it took to just to get a few amino acid going. What are the chances of that being replicated over and over again throughout the whole universe?

Are you seriously comparing the probability of the existence of pink unicorns to the probability of intelligent life on other planets?

What are your thoughts on the probability of pink unicorns on other planets?
There is no evidence for either, both are statistically improbable.