• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Was Jesus really God?

Hope

Princesinha
I'm curious here. ;) For those who don't believe Jesus was God incarnated--what are your reasons? Do you believe He was even a real man? If not, why?

Ronald

Your NT says He is the firstborn of all creation, firstborn of the dead, Son of God.
The first born of all creation is the Word of God.
If you dump the Garbage and go by what is truely in the Word of God. You would see that He was born of a Jewish mother, a flesh and blood baby, born with Holy Blood of the Father. God is ETERNAL, Yeshua was mortal, died and The Father raised Him to life the firstborn of the Dead, at the right Hand of the Father.
The trinity is a roadblock to our Hebrew brothers, not just a stumbling block.
What is the benefit derived from believing in trinity?

I don't believe that Jesus was the Son of God because I don't believe in God. Any man may imagine or even strongly believe that he is the Son of God or that he is the chosen one and may even die for those beliefs but that does not make him the Son of God nor does it prove that God exists.

Druidus

Keeper of the Grove
I believe he existed, but I do not believe he was divine, or a demi-god. Mainly because I don't believe in that God.

Lightkeeper

I believe Jesus was highly conscious for his time and was a great teacher. I do not believe he was God. I think his message was misconstrued. He was trying to teach us about the Christ within us and how to be in touch with it.

Hope

Princesinha
Let me ask my question in another way, then, for those who do not believe in God at all. Suppose a man--not necessarily Jesus--were alive today, who claimed that he was the Son of God, and didn't appear to be a self-absorbed lunatic--what would he have to do or say to convince you that what he said was the truth? What would you look for that would make you think, Wow, maybe he's not full of himself, maybe he really is who he says he is? I challenge people to think about this.... :)

Hope said:
Let me ask my question in another way, then, for those who do not believe in God at all. Suppose a man--not necessarily Jesus--were alive today, who claimed that he was the Son of God, and didn't appear to be a self-absorbed lunatic--what would he have to do or say to convince you that what he said was the truth? What would you look for that would make you think, Wow, maybe he's not full of himself, maybe he really is who he says he is? I challenge people to think about this.... :)
He would have to have the power to destroy the free will of any man, the most intelligent or the worst fool, the rich or the poor, the good or the bad.

Druidus

Keeper of the Grove
Let me ask my question in another way, then, for those who do not believe in God at all. Suppose a man--not necessarily Jesus--were alive today, who claimed that he was the Son of God, and didn't appear to be a self-absorbed lunatic--what would he have to do or say to convince you that what he said was the truth? What would you look for that would make you think, Wow, maybe he's not full of himself, maybe he really is who he says he is? I challenge people to think about this....

She could always be lying, she could always be unknowingly getting her powers from other sources. A multitude of reasons actually. To prove it to me, I suppose, she'd have to get "God" to come down and poke me in the chest while saying "Now listen here, bub, I'm God!".

Druidus said:
She could always be lying, she could always be unknowingly getting her powers from other sources. A multitude of reasons actually. To prove it to me, I suppose, she'd have to get "God" to come down and poke me in the chest while saying "Now listen here, bub, I'm God!".
Yes but it could be an optical illusion or a hologram instead of God.:)

For God to prove that He is God, he would have to do something supernatural out of the scope of science and technology and of which we can actually have proof.

Druidus

Keeper of the Grove
Yes but it could be an optical illusion or a hologram instead of God.

She wouldn't be able to touch me if she was.

For God to prove that He is God, he would have to do something supernatural out of the scope of science and technology and of which we can actually have proof.

You couldn't prove it that way to me. I believe and practice psychokinesis and psi manipulation. I'd just say she was practiced in those arts. Read my journal.

Green Gaia

Veteran Member
Hope said:
I'm curious here. ;) For those who don't believe Jesus was God incarnated--what are your reasons? Do you believe He was even a real man? If not, why?
I believe a man existed who lived the life we think of as Jesus and gave us those teachings. I do not believe he was a god anymore than you or I am, (but that's another conversation ;) ). I agree with Lightkeeper that he was highly conscious for his time and was a great teacher. However given the political, social and religious time he was born into, people had two choices on how to deal with him; reject him and his teachings completely OR reinvent him in a way they could understand, i.e. their long awaited Messiah.

Jaymes

The cake is a lie
Hope said:
I don't believe he was God reincarnated because I'm not Christian. ;)

On a more serious note.. I do believe he existed. I do believe he was ahead of his time, and had teachings worth emulating. My favorite phrase for him is "the original hippie." :D

linwood

thomasedison said:
BTW, Do we proof aside from the Bible that Jesus actually said himself that He was the Son of God?

There is some dispute on that one .

Some parts of the Bible seem to say he was born as Gods son and some parts seem to say he was basically adopted by God when John the Baptist baptised him.

I don`t know if Jesus ever said he was the son if God in a literal sense but he has said it in a way that can be interpretted as generic..like we`re all the children of God...if you wanted to.

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
Maize said:
I believe a man existed who lived the life we think of as Jesus and gave us those teachings.
Why? And in which Jesus do you believe? John's? Matthew's? Paul's. What of the Jesus portrayed in the Infance Gospels - do you believe in him? What of the vitriolic fiction that became the Passion Narrative. Do you believe in this Jesus?

Too often those who believe, or seek to believe, in an historical Jesus cherry-pick the Gosples and Episles for the nice, comforting homilies and pretend that they have discovered some core figure of note when, in fact, there is no more reason to have confidence in one set of attributions than another.

Green Gaia

Veteran Member
Deut. 32.8 said:
I believe the teachings we attribute to Jesus came from somewhere....
And in which Jesus do you believe? John's? Matthew's? Paul's.
I believe in the teachings of love and compassion we attribute to a man named Jesus, I don't care who wrote about it.
What of the Jesus portrayed in the Infance Gospels - do you believe in him?
I'm not sure what you're referring to and why you're attacking my post...
What of the vitriolic fiction that became the Passion Narrative. Do you believe in this Jesus?
No, not in that way. It possible that this person was killed for his teachings though.
Too often those who believe, or seek to believe, in an historical Jesus cherry-pick the Gosples and Episles for the nice, comforting homilies and pretend that they have discovered some core figure of note when, in fact, there is no more reason to have confidence in one set of attributions than another.
Thanks for your opinion.

Hope

Princesinha
Jensa said:
On a more serious note.. I do believe he existed. I do believe he was ahead of his time, and had teachings worth emulating. My favorite phrase for him is "the original hippie." :D
Hmmmmm....well, he certainly was a revoutionary person.;)

The thing to me that is so fascinating about Him is the fact that he was such a complex individual. He was multi-dimensional, multi-faceted. That's why when reading the Gospels one has to look at the whole picture presented. He spoke of love and forgiveness, yet blasted the Pharisees severely. He hung out with the outcasts and the sinners, but said some very hard-to-swallow things to His own disciples--like, 'Get behind me, Satan,' to Peter. He loved children and treated women as equals (in a day when that was unheard of), and yet went into a righteous rage in the temple, throwing the money changers out. One simply cannot describe Him in only one word. He embodies so much. His very complexity, I believe, makes it highly improbable that someone invented Him. :)

Jaymes

The cake is a lie
Hope said:
His very complexity, I believe, makes it highly improbable that someone invented Him. :)
Just to play Devil's advocate, does that mean that someone can't create complex characters? Or does that mean that complex characters in books are just as likely to have existed as Jesus?

Hope

Princesinha
Interesting question. :)

Of course someone is capable of creating complex characters. Jesus' complexity is, in my opinion, merely a factor in His favor, as far as His being a real person goes. It does not 'prove' anything. Also, one has to keep the context of the story in mind. If it could be proven that the Gospels are nothing more than tall-tales, then His complexity would not matter. However, because this is not the case, if one is investigating for oneself the authenticity of this person Jesus, one could not ignore that He is not easily pinned down or defined.