• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Was God once a Man?

FFH

Veteran Member
I love that sermon! It's really got some facinating ideas with it. That being said, there is probably a reason why it was never cannonized and included in the Doctrine and Covenents.
It doesn't need to be.

Is everything said in conference cannonized in the Doctrine and Covenants ???

If this is not doctrine, then why listen to any LDS church conference, after all they may just be feeding us with just some "fascinating ideas".

That sermon was inspired...

Can we think that God became god without being tested in all things, both temporally and spiritually...

Many may skip earth life, as we see with babies who die in infancy, but according to Joseph Smith, God (the Father of our spirits) lived on an earth like ours and experienced temptations and everything else that comes with this life.

I firmly believe this to be true...not just a "fascinating idea"

We are in the pre-god stages of our existence and will eventually, if found worthy, become as God is...

"God was once a man" Joseph Smith

That is not an idea, it's was a statement given at an LDS church conference by the power of the Holy Ghost...

God will not allow any prophet to lead us astray.

Where have we heard that before ???

FFH

Veteran Member
Joseph Smith taught, "Joseph Smith, incidentally, once preached a funeral sermon in which he taught, "God himself was once as we are now, and is an exalted man, and sits enthroned in yonder heavens." Another LDS prophet, Lorenzo Snow, whose well-known couplet ("As man is, God once was. As God is, man may become.") is often cited by non-Mormons and Mormons alike when discussing this clearly controverisal topic.
Wrong, the address was given during the LDS church conference of 1844 just after the funeral of King Follet, whoever that was...

Another one of Satan's tricks to mislead the masses as to the sacred origins of that address..

Do the research...

FFH

Veteran Member
If two prophets have taught it, how is it not doctrine, or how is it something that we will have to wait until the next life to find out?
What other prophet taught it ???

..and yes it is doctrine...

LDS members shy away from it because it causes so many heated debates..

God was once a man and just like him, we will become gods and goddesses, kings and queens of our own universes...

*Paul*

Jesus loves you
Wrong, the address was given during the LDS church conference of 1844 just after the funeral of King Follet, whoever that was...

Another one of Satan's tricks to mislead the masses as to the sacred origins of that address..

Do the research...

FFh, from this outsiders point of view, what you believe and say puts you much closer akin spiritually to Joseph Smith than any of the other LDSers on here. I don't want to cause arguements between you but I always admire your openness and readiness to stand for what you believe to be true. I find people like you who embrace their churches history much easier to deal with to be honest than those who pretend the words of their early apostles count for nothing now.

FFH

Veteran Member
I guess, if you really wanted to get argumentative (I can't imagine that you would ;) ) you could say that this begs the question, since neither B.H. Roberts' nor Harold B. Lee's statements have themselves never been canonized.
I'm related to Hugh B. Brown, Harold B. Lee, Joseph F. Smith and Hyrum Smith, but I only have a direct blood relation to Hyrum. I'll go with Hyrum's brother on this matter....

Just a gut reaction/feeling...

I know the Brown and Lee side of my family and they are not all that stable...;)

Just joking, lighten up...;)

My mother's maiden name is Linda Lee Brown, the roots go deep on her side....

FFH

Veteran Member
Jay said:
If there is one God, why do Mormons say they are three gods
Jay, there are many gods who have been to a world like ours and have become "like unto God" possessing the same knowledge and powers, which we too may eventually obtain, if we prove ourselves worthy to our Father who is the literal God of our spirits..

God the Father of our spirits is our god..

Jesus Christ has also obtained godhood. He is the literal spirit son of God and is also God's only physical (begotten) son.

God the Father is the father of our spirits and God the Son is our elder brother of our spirits.

*Paul*

Jesus loves you
Jay, there are many gods who have been to a world like ours and have become "like unto God" possessing the same knowledge and powers, which we too may eventually obtain, if we prove ourselves worthy to our Father who is the literal God of our spirits..

God the Father of our spirits is our god..

Jesus Christ has also obtained godhood. He is the literal spirit son of God and is also God's only physical (begotten) son.

God the Father is the father of our spirits and God the Son is our elder brother of our spirits.

FFH, do you have to be married in a Mormon temple on your journey to attaining Godhood?

FFH

Veteran Member
FFh, from this outsiders point of view, what you believe and say puts you much closer akin spiritually to Joseph Smith than any of the other LDSers on here. I don't want to cause arguements between you but I always admire your openness and readiness to stand for what you believe to be true. I find people like you who embrace their churches history much easier to deal with to be honest than those who pretend the words of their early apostles count for nothing now.
My thoughts exactly...

We need to clear the air and speak the truth...

The other LDS posters baffle me, but not so much really, because it's the norm among LDS members.

I just happen to have an extremely strong faith, which I believe gave way to knowledge years ago...

I know truth when I read and hear it, no need for faith, which only serves as a stepping stone to pure knowledge, given to us by God, through the gift of his Spirit, which is the Holy Ghost.

The Holy Ghost is part of the godhead, because it is literally God's spirit...

So really there are only two personages in the godhead, with God's spirit as the third personage, which speaks truth to all who will ipen their hearts and minds and listen...

*Paul*

Jesus loves you
FFH, do you have to be married in a Mormon temple on your journey to attaining Godhood?

You just keep me hanging on.
apple.gif

FFH

Veteran Member
You just keep me hanging on.
apple.gif
Sorry, don't mean to I'm just slow, plus I thought it best to answer your PM first in more detail...

Gave a simple yes, for all those who may be wanting to know the same thing.

Funny smiley, never noticed that one before.
apple.gif

*Paul*

Jesus loves you

Thank you my friend. SO then does it follow that Jesus had to be married, the Father had to be married, and so on to become Gods?
I'm only asking so I can understand, i'm not going to pounce or anything.

FFH

Veteran Member
Thank you my friend. SO then does it follow that Jesus had to be married, the Father had to be married, and so on to become Gods?
I'm only asking so I can understand, i'm not going to pounce or anything.
Yeah, I have a whole thread dealing with this...

God is not bound by time as we are at the moment....

If we do not marry, or are not given the chance to marry, or were not required to marry, we will be given that opportunity in the next life...

Christ is an example of this...

Christ never married, but will definitely marry in the next life, after he has presented the church (bride) to the Father, at which time we will be one with Christ and the Father, through the blood of Christ, which was shed for those who have repented of their sins..

See "Marriage Supper of the Lamb" in scripture...

Remember God the Father and the Son are not bound by time. All is "as one day" with God.

This is the key to understanding this question of whether Christ married or not, while on earth.

*Paul*

Jesus loves you
Yeah, I have a whole thread dealing with this...

God is not bound by time as we are at the moment....

If we do not marry, or are not given the chance to marry, or were not required to marry, we will be given that opportunity in the next life...

Christ is an example of this...

Christ never married, but will definitely marry in the next life, after he has presented the church (bride) to the Father, at which time we will be one with Christ and the Father, through the blood of Christ, which was shed for those who have repented of their sins..

See "Marriage Supper of the Lamb" in scripture...

Remember God the Father and the Son are not bound by time. All is "as one day" with God.

This is the key to understanding this question of whether Christ married or not, while on earth.

So Jesus never married in His earthly ministry but has been granted godhood because He has been betrothed? Or is He not actually a God yet?

FFH

Veteran Member
So Jesus never married in His earthly ministry but has been granted godhood because He has been betrothed?
Good point, he may have married, just not on earth...

But remember there is no such thing as time..

Time is only measured unto man...

Christ was God from the beginning of the foundation of the world...

Christ is the God of the Old Testament.

Christ was God before coming to earth.

Christ may have already been married prior to becoming a God and prior to the earth being formed, and of course prior to coming to earth...

We really don't know...

I just always assumed he had not marred at all, but you have a good point, how could he become God without first marrying, which he probably did, prior to the earth being formed, since LDS doctrine teaches that Christ was one of the gods who helped create the earth.

God the Father sent Christ his son to form the earth, with the help of Michael (Adam), and many of us were there too, and we had a say in how the earth appeared, and the conditions thereon...

FFH

Veteran Member
You don't agree then that Jesus married Mary and Martha? As someone once taught?
No, absolutely not and I've had a witness of that...

I know for a fact that Christ never married Mary or Martha...

I've actually seen Mary Magdalene and she is unbelievably gorgeous and no she's not married to Christ...

Edit: I wondered if what I saw was just my imagination or a real image, and on three seperate occasions I received a burning in my heart, after asking this question three times.

Yes it was a real image..

FFH

Veteran Member
FFH said:
But remember there is no such thing as time..
This is Christ speaking in Revelation...

Christ is the God of the Old and the New Testament...

Revelation 1: 8

I am Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the ending, saith the Lord, which is, and which was, and which is to come, the Almighty.

FFH

Veteran Member
I've actually seen Mary Magdalene
Just had another burning in my heart concerning this..

It was while I was debating this very thing, whether Mary was married to Christ, on this thread (Can we prove Christ never married ???) that I saw her image...

It was a witness to me that she absolutely did not marry Christ, but was a devout follower of Christ and worshipped him with all her might mind and strength, after being set free of several (I think seven) demons. She appeared, in the image, I saw of her, looking upward, and I felt her feelings, or what she was experiencing..

I felt an extreme unbelievable feeling of "everything was as it should be" type feeling...

It felt like everything was brand new and nothing was out of place, but as it should be...

It's how heaven is...perfect, with beauty all around, and nothing out of place, and she was an epitomy of that beauty found in heaven, in her appearance and in her clothing..

A perfect feeling of wholeness and goodness ran/shot through me for a fraction of a second..

Even tho the experience was extremely short, it was enough to make me want what heaven offered, which is absolutely a gazillian times better than anything on this earth that can be offered...

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
What about it? The BIble says
Ec 1:4One generation passes away, and another generation comes; But the earth abides forever.

From the moment time began, God formed the hills, and The Bible says that the earth will exist forever, therefore so shall these hills.
).

This would seem to be a poor argument... It may be in the bible, But the hills are not constant Nor have they existed since the beginning of time. Their formation and erosion Are not only well documented but well understood. These things can be measured and observed today.

Nor does the earth abide forever. The formation and destruction of Galaxies is observable and ongoing. The earth was formed not long after our sun and will eventually be consumed by it.