• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Was God once a Man?

doppelganger

Through the Looking Glass
there are so many myseries in which we will never be able to understand untill we are standing face to face with God himself. He promises that everything will be made known to us, even "the mysteries of God" will be made known to us after we depart from this probation.

The paradox of cause and effect is a mystery of our own creation. Nietzsche already solved it. :D

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
Saying God has a progenitor, and was once a man, contradicts the Bible, because He is called the great "I AM" in the Bible.
I can see why you'd think that, but I believe it's a matter of interpretation. To begin with, we see Jesus Christ as "I AM," and not God the Father. Traditional Christianity holds to a "universe" cosmology, while Mormonism holds to a "multiverse" cosmology. According to a universe cosmology, LDS doctrine would indeed contradict the Bible. According to a multiverse cosmology, it wouldn't. I realize I haven't really explained what I mean by that, but I don't know how interested you are in pursuing the subject.

madhatter85

Transhumanist
Revelation 1
5 And from Jesus Christ, who is the faithful witness, and the first begotten of the dead, and the prince of the kings of the earth. Unto him that loved us, and washed us from our sins in his own blood, 6 And hath made us kings and priests unto God and his Father; to him be glory and dominion for ever and ever. Amen.
From this passage there, John the Revelator knew God had a father. he had a progenitor, the elementary particles of our heavenly father's existence are eternal and everlasting, but his organization must have taken place for him to exists, meaning he had a progenitor.

Paul also knew the plurality of Gods in his 1st epistle to the Corinthians in Chapter 8

5 For though there be that are called gods, whether in heaven or in earth, (as there be gods many, and lords many,) 6 But to us there is but one God, the Father, of whom are all things, and we in him; and one Lord Jesus Christ, by whom are all things, and we by him.
but to us, there is only one God, he is our father, he who has created and organized our beings. and to that we are to be eternally grateful to him, for giving us everything we have.

Popeyesays

I can see why you'd think that, but I believe it's a matter of interpretation. To begin with, we see Jesus Christ as "I AM," and not God the Father. Traditional Christianity holds to a "universe" cosmology, while Mormonism holds to a "multiverse" cosmology. According to a universe cosmology, LDS doctrine would indeed contradict the Bible. According to a multiverse cosmology, it wouldn't. I realize I haven't really explained what I mean by that, but I don't know how interested you are in pursuing the subject.

The Burning Bush on Sinai announces itself to Moses as "I AM". And says tell Pharoah that "I AM" sent you.

There are some who look at every instance the words "I am" come out of Jesus mouth He is saying He is God almight. If the Bible had recorded Him going to the bathroom saying "I am going to pee." That would be seen by some as a claim by Jesus that He is God.

Jesus must have had to pee from time to time.

Regards,
Scott

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
Revelation 1
From this passage there, John the Revelator knew God had a father. he had a progenitor, the elementary particles of our heavenly father's existence are eternal and everlasting, but his organization must have taken place for him to exists, meaning he had a progenitor.
I suppose this passage could be interpreted as you have done, but I'm not convinced that it's the correct interpretation. "God and His Father" could just as easily be referring to God and His (i.e. Jesus') Father, who are, of course, one and the same.

Popeyesays

Paul always spoke plainly. I don't think his words are infallible, but he spoke plainly.

So let's put that quote from I Corinthians in context shall we?

"8:1 Now as touching things offered unto idols, we know that we all have knowledge. Knowledge puffeth up, but charity edifieth.
8:2 And if any man think that he knoweth any thing, he knoweth nothing yet as he ought to know.
8:3 But if any man love God, the same is known of him.
8:4 As concerning therefore the eating of those things that are offered in sacrifice unto idols, we know that an idol is nothing in the world, and that there is none other God but one.
8:5 For though there be that are called gods, whether in heaven or in earth, (as there be gods many, and lords many,) 8:6 But to us there is but one God, the Father, of whom are all things, and we in him; and one Lord Jesus Christ, by whom are all things, and we by him.
8:7 Howbeit there is not in every man that knowledge: for some with conscience of the idol unto this hour eat it as a thing offered unto an idol; and their conscience being weak is defiled.
8:8 But meat commendeth us not to God: for neither, if we eat, are we the better; neither, if we eat not, are we the worse.
8:9 But take heed lest by any means this liberty of your's become a stumblingblock to them that are weak.
8:10 For if any man see thee which hast knowledge sit at meat in the idol's temple, shall not the conscience of him which is weak be emboldened to eat those things which are offered to idols; 8:11 And through thy knowledge shall the weak brother perish, for whom Christ died? 8:12 But when ye sin so against the brethren, and wound their weak conscience, ye sin against Christ.
8:13 Wherefore, if meat make my brother to offend, I will eat no flesh while the world standeth, lest I make my brother to offend."
(King James Bible, 1 Corinthians)

It has context and the context has nothing to do with what you propose.

Regards,
Scott

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
The Burning Bush on Sinai announces itself to Moses as "I AM". And says tell Pharoah that "I AM" sent you.

There are some who look at every instance the words "I am" come out of Jesus mouth He is saying He is God almight.
I think the confusion here is that the Latter-day Saints believe Jesus Christ to be the God of the Old Testament as well as the God of the New Testament. In other words, we believe Jesus Christ to have been known as Jehovah during His pre-mortal existence. We refer to God the Father, not as Jehovah, but as Elohim. (Yes, I am aware that it's a title. It can also be used as a proper name.) At any rate, there are quite a number of examples in the Old Testament which describe the New Testament Jesus Christ. While I am convinced that God the Father has a form that is capable of being seen, I think it quite possible that most, if not all, of the instances in the Old Testament where people are said to have seen God are in fact sightings of Jehovah, or the pre-mortal Jesus Christ.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
Paul always spoke plainly. I don't think his words are infallible, but he spoke plainly.

I agree that Paul spoke plainly. I disagree with your conclusion about the meaning of the verse in question. Does that mean that Paul didn't speak plainly after all, or that one of us in wrong in our interpretation?

Popeyesays

I agree that Paul spoke plainly. I disagree with your conclusion about the meaning of the verse in question. Does that mean that Paul didn't speak plainly after all, or that one of us in wrong in our interpretation?

I think he's talking about the practice of sacrifice in the Temple. That's what he says he is talking about.

I don't consider Paul to have had a Revelation to impart, he's a commentator.

""8:1 Now as touching things offered unto idols, we know that we all have knowledge. Knowledge puffeth up, but charity edifieth.
8:2 And if any man think that he knoweth any thing, he knoweth nothing yet as he ought to know.
8:4 As concerning therefore the eating of those things that are offered in sacrifice unto idols, we know that an idol is nothing in the world, and that there is none other God but one."

You can't make sense of verse five without referring to 1-4.

Regards,
Scott

lunamoth

Will to love
I agree with Scott here about that verse; Paul is referring to idols and things people worship as gods, and probably also to the ceasars that call themselves lords, not to a plurality of Gods.

The whole context is that even though the meat offered to idols can be eaten by Christians, because that sacrifice has no meaning and so brings no harm (it's just meat like any other food), some Christians might see this as a return to worshiping idols, or it might weaken their faith to see their brothers eat the sacrificed meat. So, in case it might cause others to stumble, that's a reason to avoid meat sacrificed to idols.

~Amin~

God is the King
God Cannot Be A Man Because Then
He would Be In Need Of His Creation ie
Breathing, Drinking etc.
One Of His Attribute is That He Is Self
Sufficient. And to Say His Became a Man Is A Violation
Of Sound Belief Taught By The Prophets.

doppelganger

Through the Looking Glass
"God" is whatever it is one thinks it is. As this thread and almost every other thread on this forum demonstrates.

Does that make "God" a "man"?

If not a "man," certainly at least a "being" crafted in each observer's image.

As for the "many gods" there are at least as many as there are "I am"'s to whom a "God" could manifest.

Hope

Princesinha

"8:1 Now as touching things offered unto idols, we know that we all have knowledge. Knowledge puffeth up, but charity edifieth.
8:4 As concerning therefore the eating of those things that are offered in sacrifice unto idols, we know that an idol is nothing in the world, and that there is none other God but one.
8:5 For though there be that are called gods, whether in heaven or in earth, (as there be gods many, and lords many,) 8:6 But to us there is but one God, the Father, of whom are all things, and we in him; and one Lord Jesus Christ, by whom are all things, and we by him.
8:7 Howbeit there is not in every man that knowledge: for some with conscience of the idol unto this hour eat it as a thing offered unto an idol; and their conscience being weak is defiled.
8:8 But meat commendeth us not to God: for neither, if we eat, are we the better; neither, if we eat not, are we the worse.
8:9 But take heed lest by any means this liberty of your's become a stumblingblock to them that are weak.
8:10 For if any man see thee which hast knowledge sit at meat in the idol's temple, shall not the conscience of him which is weak be emboldened to eat those things which are offered to idols; 8:11 And through thy knowledge shall the weak brother perish, for whom Christ died? 8:12 But when ye sin so against the brethren, and wound their weak conscience, ye sin against Christ.
8:13 Wherefore, if meat make my brother to offend, I will eat no flesh while the world standeth, lest I make my brother to offend."
(King James Bible, 1 Corinthians)

Regards,
Scott

I agree.