• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Was God once a Man?

FFH

Veteran Member
FFH does not speak for the LDS Church, he speaks for himself on these mattters -- no matter who he is related to.
Because the teaching that God was once a man, given to us by Joseph Smith, was given at an official church conference, we can be assured that it's doctrine, otherwise we might as well quit listening to conference.

You never know they might be preaching false doctrine...NOT...

According to scripture, God, the father of our spirits, was picked from among the gods to be the God of this world..

See ► Abraham

JayHawes

As I've realised man Mormons disgree (on what they condiser "doctrine" or not "doctrine", and have many different sects that claim different authority. Some old the Bible and the Book of Mormon highly. Others hold also the Book of Great Price and other books. But as I've discovered the Mormons on here contantly deny the words of their prophets. While others do accept the words of their prophets and President, Mormons can (seems so) choose to accpet or ignore their President's teachings (as though they mean crap when they made it up anyway).

The Mormon doctrine of God once being a man, was of course made up by one of its Prsidents and Prophets, it does not have biblical origins. The teachings that man may become god as is taught by the LDS, is of course a Mormon idea:

Isa 44:6 -Thus saith the LORD the King of Israel, and his redeemer the LORD of hosts; I am the first, and I am the last; and beside me there is no God (Elohim).

Isa 44:8 -Fear ye not, neither be afraid: have not I told thee from that time, and have declared it? ye are even my witnesses. Is there a God beside me? yea, there is no God; I know not any.

JayHawes

Yeah, I have a whole thread dealing with this...

God is not bound by time as we are at the moment....

If we do not marry, or are not given the chance to marry, or were not required to marry, we will be given that opportunity in the next life...

Christ is an example of this...

Christ never married, but will definitely marry in the next life, after he has presented the church (bride) to the Father, at which time we will be one with Christ and the Father, through the blood of Christ, which was shed for those who have repented of their sins..

See "Marriage Supper of the Lamb" in scripture...

Remember God the Father and the Son are not bound by time. All is "as one day" with God.

This is the key to understanding this question of whether Christ married or not, while on earth.

The Marriage supper of the lamb is the Church being bound to the Son of God, its an expansion of what Jesus taught about the Ten Virgins in Matthew 25, about the Church being ready.

Mt 25:1 -Then shall the kingdom of heaven be likened unto ten virgins, which took their lamps, and went forth to meet the bridegroom

Jesus clearly states that in heaven we " neither marry, nor are given in marriage, but are as the angels of God in heaven" Matthew 22:30.

James clearly teaches that the Bride of Christ is many peoples:

Jas 5:7Be patient therefore, brethren, unto the coming of the Lord. Behold, the husbandman waiteth for the precious fruit of the earth, and hath long patience for it, until he receive the early and latter rain.

Re 21:9 -And there came unto me one of the seven angels which had the seven vials full of the seven last plagues, and talked with me, saying, Come hither, I will show thee the bride, the Lamb's wife.

Re 21:10 -And he carried me away in the spirit to a great and high mountain, and showed me that great city, the holy Jerusalem, descending out of heaven from God,

Re 21:24 -And the nations of them which are saved shall walk in the light of it: and the kings of the earth do bring their glory and honour into it.

JayHawes

This is Christ speaking in Revelation...

Christ is the God of the Old and the New Testament...

Revelation 1: 8

I am Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the ending, saith the Lord, which is, and which was, and which is to come, the Almighty.

So if Jesus is the God of the Old and New testament why do you say he was married?Since marriage is needed before exaltation to god-hood, Jesus was already God (during his ministry) and therefore didn't need to be married. and hmm.....you kinda sound like you're teaching the doctrine of the trinity......

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
Because the teaching that God was once a man, given to us by Joseph Smith, was given at an official church conference, we can be assured that it's doctrine, otherwise we might as well quit listening to conference.
If this is the case, please provide us with the source. I am quite certain that this is not the case. If this had been given as doctrine, and the general membership of the Church has given it their sustaining vote, we would find it in the Doctrine & Covenants. It's not there.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
As I've realised man Mormons disgree (on what they condiser "doctrine" or not "doctrine", and have many different sects that claim different authority. Some old the Bible and the Book of Mormon highly. Others hold also the Book of Great Price and other books. But as I've discovered the Mormons on here contantly deny the words of their prophets. While others do accept the words of their prophets and President, Mormons can (seems so) choose to accpet or ignore their President's teachings (as though they mean crap when they made it up anyway).
Official Church doctrine is contained in the Standard Works, which include "The Bible," "The Book of Mormon," "The Doctrine & Covenants" and "The Pearl of Great Price." I believe that every Mormon on RF will tell you the same thing. No other books are a part of the official LDS canon. They may be worthwhile commentaries on our doctrines, but that's all they are -- someone's interpretation of doctrine. None of us deny anything that is a part of our official canon. As far an non-canonical source materials are concerned, we are encouraged to read and learn all we can and when we have done so, to pray for guidance and understanding. By the power of the Holy Ghost, God will direct our paths. Somehow, I suspect that's going to be a bit over your head, but we'll wait and see.

FFH

Veteran Member
So if Jesus is the God of the Old and New testament why do you say he was married?Since marriage is needed before exaltation to god-hood, Jesus was already God (during his ministry) and therefore didn't need to be married. and hmm.....you kinda sound like you're teaching the doctrine of the trinity......
We really don't know Christ's current marital status, or whether he was married, as a god, prior to coming to earth as our Savior, but I do know one thing, Christ was God before becoming a man, which he willingly volunteered to do...

No other god in heaven volunteered to do this for us, but him alone...

So it's kind of ironic that this conversation turned in the opposite direction and we're now talking of a God (Christ) who bacame a man, a perfect sinless sacrifice..

If this is possible, then surely a man can become a god...

With man this seems impossible, but "with God all things are possible"..

With God's help we may become like him...all of us..

JayHawes

We really don't know Christ's current marital status, or whether he was married, as a god, prior to coming to earth as our Savior, but I do know one thing, Christ was God before becoming a man, which he willingly volunteered to do...

No other god in heaven volunteered to do this for us, but him alone...

So it's kind of ironic that this conversation turned in the opposite direction and we're now talking of a God (Christ) who bacame a man, a perfect sinless sacrifice..

If this is possible, then surely a man can become a god...

With man this seems impossible, but "with God all things are possible"..

With God's help we may become like him...all of us..

My point was thus:

1) Since Jesus was already God when he came to earth, he did not need to be married, therefore the Mormon teachings that Jesus was married are baseless.

2) There is only one god- there are no "gods" in heaven.

Isa 44:8Fear ye not, neither be afraid: have not I told thee from that time, and have declared it? ye are even my witnesses. Is there a God (Elohim) beside me? yea, there is no God; I know not any.

Isa 45:5I am the LORD, and there is none else, there is no God (Elohim) beside me: I girded thee, though thou hast not known me:

JayHawes

Official Church doctrine is contained in the Standard Works, which include "The Bible," "The Book of Mormon," "The Doctrine & Covenants" and "The Pearl of Great Price." I believe that every Mormon on RF will tell you the same thing. No other books are a part of the official LDS canon. They may be worthwhile commentaries on our doctrines, but that's all they are -- someone's interpretation of doctrine. None of us deny anything that is a part of our official canon. As far an non-canonical source materials are concerned, we are encouraged to read and learn all we can and when we have done so, to pray for guidance and understanding. By the power of the Holy Ghost, God will direct our paths. Somehow, I suspect that's going to be a bit over your head, but we'll wait and see.

It didn't go over, I caught it;)

FFH

Veteran Member
If this is the case, please provide us with the source. I am quite certain that this is not the case. If this had been given as doctrine, and the general membership of the Church has given it their sustaining vote, we would find it in the Doctrine & Covenants. It's not there.
Niether are a lot of things spoken of in conference..

Is the fact that we should avoid certain movies, in the Doctrine and Covenants ???

Only those things pertinent to our salvation should be in the Doctrine and Covenants, this not being one of them, just a matter of information/knowledge of who God is and that he was once a mortal man like you and I.

Is it possible to be a god without being born into this earth ??? Is it possible to be a god without being married ???

These questions we really don't have the answer to.

Christ was a god before coming to earth, the question should be, did he already have a physical body prior to that time...

The only way to answer this is to realize that God the Father and Christ (God the Son) are not bound by time. All is present, both past and future...

We are not God and really don't understand this, but I think it would be safe to say that all spirits, god or not, must obtain physical bodies, by coming to earth, otherwise this would go against God's own requirements.

God requires that we, obtain a body in order to become like him, so just like the marriage requirement, God must adhere to his own rules, which are eternal and have always existed...

So we can conlude that God and all god's have been born to an earth similar to this one, how long they stayed, is really something that is irrelevant...

God was once a mortal being, but now is immortal, which we may become.

JayHawes

Neither are a lot of things spoken of in conference..

Is the fact that we should avoid certain movies in the Doctrine and Covenants ???

Only those things pertinent to our salvation should be in the Doctrine and Covenants, this not being one of them, just a matter of information/knowledge of who God is and that he was once a mortal man like you and I.

Is it possible to be a god without being born into this earth ??? Is it possible to be a god without being married ???

These questions we really don't have the answer to.

Christ was a god before coming to earth, the question should be, did he already have a physical body prior to that time...

The only way to answer this is to realize that God the Father and Christ (God the Son) are not bound by time. All is present, both past and future...

We are not God and really don't understand this, but I think it would be safe to say that all spirits, god or not, must obtain physical bodies, by coming to earth, otherwise this would go against God's own requirements.

God requires that we, obtain a body in order to become like him, so just like the marriage requirement, god must adhere to his own rules, which are eternal and have always existed...

So we can conlude that God and all god's have been born to an earth similar to this one, how long they stayed, is really something that is irrelevant...

God was once a mortal being, but now is immortal, which we may become.

1) Sometimes you say Jesus is God, other times you say Jesus is a god....which is it according to you, or both?

2) Marriage is not a requirement. Many times Jesus taught that there is no marriage in heaven (Matthew 22:30). Jesus teaches that some people do not marry but become Eunuchs (removes their genitals) for the Kingdom of Heaven's sake (Matthew 19:12). The disciples of Jesus even said once "...it is not good to marry" Matthew 19:10. Paul taught:

1co 7:1 -Now concerning the things whereof ye wrote unto me: It is good for a man not to touch a woman.

1co 7:2 -Nevertheless, to avoid fornication, let every man have his own wife, and let every woman have her own husband.

Notive that Paul said it is good to marry to avoid fornication, not to become gods, not to get a glorfied body, not to fulfill preisthood.

James 2:19 -Thou believest that there is one God; thou doest well: the devils also believe, and tremble.

The devils know that there is only one God, why can't man get it?

FFH

Veteran Member
Remember, Satan and the 1/3 that followed him refused to come to earth and be a part of God's plan..

God certainly has "fulfilled all righteousness" as was demonstrated by Christ, when he was baptised for the remission of sins, even though he was sinless.

We can assume by this action, taken by Christ, by being baptised, that these same requirements have been fulfilled, by God the Father, which are necessary for all, both men and gods alike...

FFH

Veteran Member
Actions God the Father must have taken in order to "fulfill all righteousness".

Obtain a physical body, by being born to earthly parents
Baptism
Marriage
and all other necessary saving ordinances of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints..

It's not do as I say, but do as I do, as was demonstrated by Christ, when he came to earth and was baptized.

Marriage could be taken care of later.

If this isn't the case then all who never married on earth will never have a chance at godhood.

The thought is ridiculous..

JayHawes

I dont understand how you can agree that there is One God, as says the BIble. And then say that Jesus is a god among many gods. And that there are many gods ruling over other worlds (not official doctrine though). And many will be exalted to god-hood, becoming gods themselves. This all seems, to me, to be overloooking the fact that Jesus said there is One God, and even the devils know that there is one God. Not many among him, he is the only God.

Explain if you will your reconciling of there being One God, yet belevieing there are many gods.