• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Was God once a Man?

JayHawes

Actions God the Father must have taken in order to "fulfill all righteousness".

Obtain a physical body, by being born to earthly parents
Baptism
Marriage
and all other necessary saving ordinances of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints..

It's not do as I say, but do as I do, as was demonstrated by Christ, when he came to earth and was baptized.

Marriage could be taken care of later.

If this isn't the case then all who never married on earth will never have a chance at godhood.

The thought is ridiculous..

Marriage in the bible is never required. Actually THe Apostles said it is good not to marry. How then is it correct doctrine to have marriage as a requirement of any Church? We only live one time (Hebrews 9:27). MIllions of not billions have died without being married, Jesus himself never mention being married as a requirement for his Church, only Jospeh Smith does, ot atleast one of his succesors.

FFH

Veteran Member
The devils know that there is only one God, why can't man get it?
Christ is the god of this world, under the direction of God the Father, which is what demons and prophets alike are referring to..

There are many gods in the heavens, Michael (Adam) being one of them.

So right there you have three

God the Father
God the Son
Adam

Not to mention all the righteous prophets and saints who have ever lived on this earth and who have been strong witnesses of Christ as the Messiah.

This is a big part of our salvation, professing Christ as the Messiah...which will not go unnoticed in the heavens...

No doubt these have all obtained or will shortly obtain godhood...

Here's a question FFH. Do these newly made "gods" get their own world to rule, or do they have to stay here and be subordinate to the god of this planet?

FFH

Veteran Member
Important, read this link: Info about the "King Follet" address given by Joseph Smith

It was tagged with that name simply because the address followed this person's funeral, almost 1 month later. Why it was tagged that name baffles me...

Just another way Satan uses to hide truths or belittle them...he tags a stupid name to them...

Doppleganger gave a nice link to this address...

Can we find the most accurate one ???

The almighty Wiki seems to point us in the right direction. (See above link)

I never bothered to look up the most accurate record of this address given by Joseph Smith, and becuase it was never written word for word, the church really cannot use it, but we can get the general idea...

I need to search for the most accurate one that was accepted by the church..as stated in this Wiki article..

Again here it is:Info about this address given by Joseph Smith

FFH

Veteran Member
Here's a question FFH. Do these newly made "gods" get their own world to rule, or do they have to stay here and be subordinate to the god of this planet?
That's the beauty of God the Father's plan, we can become rulers of our own universes. We can become equal in knowledge and power to God the Father, as we see Christ has done, but under the direction of the Father...

As with earthly parents, the strings are cut, at a certin point, and then we are free to do what we want, under the prinicples of righteousness..

It is only under these righteous principles that we will be truly free to be gods...

If we choose wickedness, then we will be bound under someone elses authority, unless we are willing to change our ways..

Simple principles of righteousness..

Is it any different here on earth ???

I am free to come and go as I please, if I obey certain laws of the land, but if I break those laws I am bound...

Keeping the law keeps me free, like not speeding, but breaking those laws may result in my driving priveledges taken away..

Much better for me to keep the law, rather than break it...

Bishka

Veteran Member

Please note, that this is purely FFH opinion ONLY. The King Follett Discourse and anything not found in our canonical statements and scripture is purely that, not official doctrine.

FFH

Veteran Member
Please note, that this is purely FFH opinion ONLY. The King Follett Discourse and anything not found in our canonical statements and scripture is purely that, not official doctrine.
Uh, can you explain this then ???

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/King_Follett_Discourse

The sermon was not always viewed in a favorable light by LDS leaders. It was not published in the annals of Joseph Smith's life ca 1902 ("History of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints") because of then Church President Joseph F. Smith's discomfort with some ideas in the sermon which he felt suffered from inaccuracies of the original note takers.

By 1938 it had begun to regain favor and gradually became a part of trusted Latter-day Saint doctrinal texts.

Bishka

Veteran Member
By 1938 it had begun to regain favor and gradually became a part of trusted Latter-day Saint doctrinal texts.

It has not been canonized so it is NOT official doctrine. Some may believe it and some many not -- it is not ESSENTIAL to our salvation. IF it was, it would have been canonized years ago.

JayHawes

Christ is the god of this world, under the direction of God the Father, which is what demons and prophets alike are referring to..

There are many gods in the heavens, Michael (Adam) being one of them.

So right there you have three

God the Father
God the Son
Adam

Not to mention all the righteous prophets and saints who have ever lived on this earth and who have been strong witnesses of Christ as the Messiah.

This is a big part of our salvation, professing Christ as the Messiah...which will not go unnoticed in the heavens...

No doubt these have all obtained or will shortly obtain godhood...

Christ is not the god of this world, Satan is the god of this world (2 Corinthians 4:4). Our being join-heirs does not make us gods. The bible is clear that there is One God, not three, and that God will not have any "gods" before him. We will be equal unto the angels, who themselves are not gods, but in the image of the ONLY GOD.

FFH

Veteran Member
Times and Seasons - Wikipedia

This address given by Joseph Smith in the April 7, 1844 conference, was published in the "Times and Seasons" periodical, which would be equivalent to our Ensign today, in which we print all LDS church conference addresses..

The Book of Abraham was published, at the same time, in the same periodical, along with the personal history of Joseph Smith, after his death.

FFH

Veteran Member
Christ is not the god of this world, Satan is the god of this world (2 Corinthians 4:4).
I knew you would bring that up....

Our being join-heirs does not make us gods. The bible is clear that there is One God, not three, and that God will not have any "gods" before him. We will be equal unto the angels, who themselves are not gods, but in the image of the ONLY GOD.
We have the potential to become like God, in every way, and be rulers of our own universes...

Set your goals high, you never know what is possible...

"What is impossible with man is possible with God"...

With God's help we can achieve this lofty goal..

JayHawes

I knew you would bring that up....

We have the potential to become like God, in every way, and be rulers of our own universes...

Set your goals high, you never know what is possible...

"What is impossible with man is possible with God"...

With God's help we can achieve this lofty goal..
\

:D I know that all things are possible. I know that God will appoint us to rule over kingdoms. But i do not beleive, according to scripture, that we will be gods. Or that we in any way will be rulers of our own universe. If God wants to have us to rule over a kingdom (on earth) that is fine. As for ruling our own universe, I see no scripture that hints at this. That's like me saying I Hope God allows Fried Chicken to fly around heaven all day. God is able to do it, and fried chicken is good. But there is no scriptural proof for it.
The serpeant said:
Ge 3:5"For God knows that in the day you eat of it your eyes will be opened, and you will be like God, knowing good and evil."

Notice he said be like God, to know Good and evil. Not being a god.

FFH

Veteran Member
That's like me saying I Hope God allows Fried Chicken to fly around heaven all day. God is able to do it, and fried chicken is good. But there is no scriptural proof for it.
I don't know about you but I'm not only gonna have fried chicken flying around my universe, but cole slaw, garlic mashed potatoes, spicey curly fries and some chocolate shakes too...;)
The serpeant said:
Ge 3:5"For God knows that in the day you eat of it your eyes will be opened, and you will be like God, knowing good and evil."
Must have been one smacking good apple for them to risk losing paradise...

Must have been a Nashi

Still miss those things...nothing like a Nashi grown in Japan...a little bit of heaven...

Notice he said be like God, to know Good and evil. Not being a god.
Ah, again, I new you'd bring that up sooner or later...

Is there really a difference between being like God and being a god ???

If we are like God then we are a god, just without his power and knowledge, which we will be given once we have been proven worthy...

JayHawes

Ah, again, I new you'd bring that up sooner or later...

Is there really a difference between being like God and being a god ???

If we are like God then we are a god, just without his power and knowledge, which we will be given once we have been proven worthy...

Isaiah 46:9

"Remember the former things of old: for I am God, and there is none else; I am God, and there is none like me."

Polaris

"Remember the former things of old: for I am God, and there is none else; I am God, and there is none like me."

Though there may exist other gods who oversee their own creations, for us there is but one God (upper case is important here) and none else. Only one God is our Father, whom we love and worship, and to whom we are accountable. This passage sits just fine with me -- there is one God and none else.

JayHawes

Though there may exist other gods who oversee their own creations, for us there is but one God (upper case is important here) and none else. Only one God is our Father, whom we love and worship, and to whom we are accountable. This passage sits just fine with me -- there is one God and none else.

You seem to ignore the following part:

"... I am God, and there is none like me."

This is a contradiction of Mormon teaching. That we will be a god. Because if we are like God, as FHH says, we will be a god. This verse clearly says there is no one like God.