• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Was God once a Man?

Guitar's Cry

Disciple of Pan
You seem to ignore the following part:

Isaiah 46:9

"... I am God, and there is none like me."

This is a contradiction of Mormon teaching. That we will be a god. Because if we are like God, as FHH says, we will be a god. This verse clearly says there is no one like God.

I am Human, and there is none like me.

Polaris

You seem to ignore the following part:

Isaiah 46:9

"... I am God, and there is none like me."

This is a contradiction of Mormon teaching. That we will be a god. Because if we are like God, as FHH says, we will be a god. This verse clearly says there is no one like God.

There is none like him. No other being created us, no other being can bring about our salvation, no other being are we required to worship. There is indeed none like him.

doppelgänger;870912 said:
That, too, is a form.:yes:

True, it's almost impossible to put god in words because it has no characteristics, it is a true mystery, all we know that it is omnipresent, omnipotent and all the other omni's

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
True, it's almost impossible to put god in words because it has no characteristics, it is a true mystery, all we know that it is omnipresent, omnipotent and all the other omni's
Don't state your opinion as if it were fact. The nature of God may be "a true mystery" to you, but it certainly isn't to me.

jonny

One of my favorite quotes from Joseph Smith:

If men do not comprehend the character of God, they do not comprehend themselves.

Quiddity

UndertheInfluenceofGiants
Don't state your opinion as if it were fact. The nature of God may be "a true mystery" to you, but it certainly isn't to me.
You know, that seems to be the ideal cliché in many things we disagree with Katz. We say it’s a mystery and LDS has an answer for it. I find that interesting for a couple reasons that would probably lead this thread off topic.

jonny

You know, that seems to be the ideal cliché in many things we disagree with Katz. We say it’s a mystery and LDS has an answer for it. I find that interesting for a couple reasons that would probably lead this thread off topic.

One could argue that is the reason that Mormonism exists. Joseph Smith was looking for answers in the current churches and didn't find them. Joseph Smith, through revelation or his imagination, answered these unanwerable questions. Those who believe that Joseph Smith was a prophet obviously believe that they were answered through revelation - with the promise that anyone can know the mysteries of God if they keep the commandments and ask God.

It helps that Joseph Smith believed that he had a direct line of revelation from God and was supported by his followers. He could answer these questions and the answers were accepted and believed as doctrine. Other Christian leaders can not because (in my opinion) they have limited themselves to past revelation and reject the idea of ongoing revelation. The doctrine, in their mind, has already been fully established. Any lingering questions are "mysteries."

Quiddity

UndertheInfluenceofGiants
One could argue that is the reason that Mormonism exists.
I was thinking the same thing, but not necessarily for the same reasons you noted.
Joseph Smith was looking for answers in the current churches and didn't find them. Joseph Smith, through revelation or his imagination, answered these unanwerable questions. Those who believe that Joseph Smith was a prophet obviously believe that they were answered through revelation - with the promise that anyone can know the mysteries of God if they keep the commandments and ask God.
Apparently not anyone before Joseph Smith.
It helps that Joseph Smith believed that he had a direct line of revelation from God and was supported by his followers. He could answer these questions and the answers were accepted and believed as doctrine. Other Christian leaders can not because (in my opinion) they have limited themselves to past revelation and reject the idea of ongoing revelation. The doctrine, in their mind, has already been fully established. Any lingering questions are "mysteries."
We have answers too Jonny. We just don't begin to have doubts if we anyone can't explain what the Father is made of and things of that sort. Do people care if that remains mysterious? Some do and some don't.

jonny

We have answers too Jonny. We just don't begin to have doubts if we anyone can't explain what the Father is made of and things of that sort. Do people care if that remains mysterious? Some do and some don't.

I don't mean to say that you don't have answers. I just meant to say that Mormonism answers many questions, specifically about our purpose in this life and potential in the next life, that are not answered fully in other Christian religions. From my perspective you can't understand your purpose or potential if you don't understand the character of God.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
We have answers too Jonny.
You have answers, too, and we have mysteries, too.

We just don't begin to have doubts if we can't explain what the Father is made of and things of that sort. Do people care if that remains mysterious? Some do and some don't.
And we don't begin to have doubts if we can't explain who God's Father is. Like you, most of us are willing to set certain unanswered questions aside and focus on those things we believe are important to know.

wizanda

One Accepts All Religious Texts
Premium Member
If God is beyond the last dimension, to contain reality, what would be if God was here?

Thanks Vicotor, funilly enough i always spot that too. Maybe they really do have the answers, but i really do doubt that.

No-one has the answers, with all respect, where does Mormonism get it from? If old old religions lke Hinudism dont have the answers to all the questions, i doubt Mormonism does.