• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Was Adam a caveman? Was Eve a cavewoman?

Enoch07

It's all a sick freaking joke.
Premium Member
This "like a thousand years" doesn't mean "equal to a thousand years". It is a simile, a literary device, where you compare something to something else, by using word "like". It is never meant to be literal. Simile is similar to a metaphor, where the comparisons of something to something completely different, is only symbolic or metaphoric.

No I am not taking it literal. "One day with the Lord is like a thousand years with man" is just way of conveying that the Lord operates outside of time. It is not meant to be taken liberally. Which is why I said that there is no way to determine how much time exactly Adam and Eve spent inside of Eden. Could have been 1,000 years of mans time, or 10,000, or 300,000. I cant give an exact number because there is not enough info to calculate an exact number. All I can say with confidence is while Adam and Eve was in Eden time moved considerable quicker outside of Eden. Theory of Relativity gives us some insight as to how this can be. Perhaps God has an extreme gravitational field around Him or something else that would cause time to slow in his vicinity.

Enoch07

Premium Member
You are taking the whole "one day is like a thousand years" from one text, and trying to twist the meaning of another text. This is really a dishonest tactics, that I often seen being used by theists, and more frequently among creationists.

I am not twisting anything. There are a couple of unknown variables that make calcuting Genesis into the timeline of the Earth basically impossible.

1. We don't know how long Adam and Eve were in Eden before being expelled. We can only guess.

2. We don't know exactly how time is effected by God. My opinion is He exist outside of time. So in His presence time is not an issue. Yesterday, today, and tomorrow are all in play at the same time. So is 500,000 years ago, today, and 500,000 years from now. But I just go by the "1 day with the Lord is 1,000 years with man" because that is the closest we are given to an exact number. But I still think it's futile to use it.

gnostic

The Lost One
No I am not taking it literal. "One day with the Lord is like a thousand years with man" is just way of conveying that the Lord operates outside of time. It is not meant to be taken liberally. Which is why I said that there is no way to determine how much time exactly Adam and Eve spent inside of Eden. Could have been 1,000 years of mans time, or 10,000, or 300,000. I cant give an exact number because there is not enough info to calculate an exact number. All I can say with confidence is while Adam and Eve was in Eden time moved considerable quicker outside of Eden.

What you are claiming is still speculative at best, Enoch.

Theory of Relativity gives us some insight as to how this can be. Perhaps God has an extreme gravitational field around Him or something else that would cause time to slow in his vicinity.

Sorry, but again, you are speculating. If Adam and Eve were in God's proximity where there are extreme gravitational field, the forces would either rip them apart or throw them far as God's arm could throw them.

Or if God was moving faster than the speed of light, then there would be no way for Adam to "walk with God"...And I don't see Adam moving faster than the speed of light.

I think you are overcomplicating the Theory of Relativity with your claims.

Enoch07

Premium Member
What you are claiming is still speculative at best, Enoch.

Sorry, but again, you are speculating. If Adam and Eve were in God's proximity where there are extreme gravitational field, the forces would either rip them apart or throw them far as God's arm could throw them.

Or if God was moving faster than the speed of light, then there would be no way for Adam to "walk with God"...And I don't see Adam moving faster than the speed of light.

I think you are overcomplicating the Theory of Relativity with your claims.

Of course it's speculation and opinion. I never claimed it to be anything else. All I am saying is that it's a possibility.

Perhaps Eden itself moves at the speed of light perhaps. Perhaps it's a dimensional pocket, where our undestanding of physics does not apply. I am it a physicist (obviously), but physics is a hobby and I can see the possibilities that we might one day understand and be able to explain it. But not at this moment.

gnostic

The Lost One
1. We don't know how long Adam and Eve were in Eden before being expelled. We can only guess.

True. But if you don't know how long they were there, then stop making things up with baseless assumptions. If it say nothing about how long they have been there, then say nothing. Otherwise, you are basically lying to us, and to yourself.

2. We don't know exactly how time is effected by God.

Again, true. But all you are doing is just making assumptions about this or that. You are playing a game of "what if". And you are making assumptions that your assumptions are correct, when truth be told - you really don't know.

My opinion is He exist outside of time. So in His presence time is not an issue.

Again more assumptions.

Yesterday, today, and tomorrow are all in play at the same time. So is 500,000 years ago, today, and 500,000 years from now. But I just go by the "1 day with the Lord is 1,000 years with man" because that is the closest we are given to an exact number. But I still think it's futile to use it.

You betcha, it's futile. It is also meaningless, because there are no possible ways for you to know.

Enoch07

Premium Member
True. But if you don't know how long they were there, then stop making things up with baseless assumptions. If it say nothing about how long they have been there, then say nothing. Otherwise, you are basically lying to us, and to yourself.

Again, true. But all you are doing is just making assumptions about this or that. You are playing a game of "what if". And you are making assumptions that your assumptions are correct, when truth be told - you really don't know.

Again more assumptions.

You betcha, it's futile. It is also meaningless, because there are no possible ways for you to know.

Not assuming anything at all. Just saying it's a possibility based on what we do know. It could be true or false, but that can be decided for sure without more info.

Enoch07

Premium Member
I wonder if @sayak83 or @Polymath257 might look at my idea of Eden being a place where time moves slower within its boundaries. Look at post #19, 22, and 24 to get a better idea of what I am proposing if either of you feel inclined. If not I don't blame you, it looks like a major headache of a challenge to me, if it's possible at all.

Deeje

Avid Bible Student
Premium Member
You don't. Those who wrote the texts that became Christianity were entirely ignorant of that history, and therefore unable to incorporate it into their myth.

LOL or conversely....they were unacquainted with the myth of cavemen and did not think to incorporate such a ridiculous idea into scripture. :D The first humans were not primitive...they were actually more advanced than we are. We have regressed in many ways but some misguided souls today call it progress. :rolleyes:

sayak83

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
I wonder if @sayak83 or @Polymath257 might look at my idea of Eden being a place where time moves slower within its boundaries. Look at post #19, 22, and 24 to get a better idea of what I am proposing if either of you feel inclined. If not I don't blame you, it looks like a major headache of a challenge to me, if it's possible at all.
Umm why should I believe anything that was said in the first four chapters of Genesis actually happened? Your replies seem to be wildly speculative attempts to make sense of something that is clearly a mythological origin story that every culture has in some form or the other. Am I supposed to discuss how the minotaur could have been a genetically modified ox-human hybrid created in Minoan labs called the labyrinth?

Deeje

Avid Bible Student
Premium Member
If they were they were not primitives. People in some Australian suburbs live in caves even today and they look rather nice

I know....look at Coober Pedy......

Above ground....

images

Below ground.....
images
images
images

Very nice.

Last edited:

Enoch07

Premium Member
Umm why should I believe anything that was said in the first four chapters of Genesis actually happened? Your replies seem to be wildly speculative attempts to make sense of something that is clearly a mythological origin story that every culture has in some form or the other. Am I supposed to discuss how the minotaur could have been a genetically modified ox-human hybrid created in Minoan labs called the labyrinth?

Not asking you to believe anything.

Just asking if your able to show if a hypothetical place could exist where time moves slower than normal. Normal being as we humans perceive time.

Deeje

Avid Bible Student
Premium Member
Oh we were quite the primitive apes. From 2 million BC to 250,000 BC, early humans do not bury their dead. Bodies were left to rot insitu or disposed of in rock shafts.

Who was actually around over 2 million years ago to tell us exactly what humans did with their dead? Science assumes a lot of things that I believe are not true. They cannot prove what they say.

From the Bible's perspective, humans buried their dead, not wanting animals to consume the remains. Would you want that to happen to your loved ones? Burial of the dead varies widely according to religion, tradition and culture.

I don't believe that humans were primitive and later evolved into more civilized societies. I believe that once humans decided to do things their own way, that they regressed, spiritually, morally and culturally.

images

These people are a figment of science's imagination IMO. There is no real evidence that they ever existed.

Deeje

Avid Bible Student
Premium Member
You are taking the whole "one day is like a thousand years" from one text, and trying to twist the meaning of another text. This is really a dishonest tactics, that I often seen being used by theists, and more frequently among creationists.

Are you suggesting that the Creator cannot dwell in a different realm with a different way to count time?
What makes an earth day? One rotation of the planet. The creator does not live on earth. He lives in a realm where a thousand earth days seem like just one day in his realm. Do you understand time as the Creator does? That is quite a presumption.

sayak83

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Not asking you to believe anything.

Just asking if your able to show if a hypothetical place could exist where time moves slower than normal. Normal being as we humans perceive time.
In this universe? Very unlikely.

Deeje

Avid Bible Student
Premium Member
I believe it is fascinating that Cain went east and bore a mark and there is an eastern people who bear marks.

Since all of earth's inhabitants descended from Noah and all other humans were wiped out in the flood, (according to the Bible) including any of Cain's descendants....it makes your statement somewhat inaccurate.

Enoch07

Premium Member
In this universe? Very unlikely.

Does not have to be in this universe. Just wondering if it's possible at all. Not that it is here or that it has happened. Just if it's possible or not.(I know it is, but nobody would believe me though)