• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Was Adam a caveman? Was Eve a cavewoman?

Muffled

Jesus in me
Actually there is an indication that Adam couldn't live forever: The Tree of Life.

The Tree of Life was planted there for reason, just as there were reason to plant the Tree of Knowledge there.

If God didn't put the Tree of Life (and no Tree of Knowledge) in Eden, Adam still would have live a long life, but it would have been a life without toil, without suffering, without pain, but he still would have been "mortal".

The narrative in Genesis 2 and 3 made it quite clear that no "living forever" without the fruit from the Tree of Life. So yes, Muffled, there are couple of hints that God didn't make Adam immortal at the very start of creation.

That's quite possible, but it is still speculation.

I believe that is a non-sequitur. Please try to show your reasoning.

I believe you are assuming that Adam could not be created with eternal life. Certainly Christians believe that they will be changed bodily so that they have eternal life when Jesus returns and that does not require the fruit of a tree.

I believe what can be created can also be removed. However I am willing to view it as a creation of dependent eternal life ie dependent on the tree of life. There is no command to Adam to eat of the tree of life, so it does not appear to be that crucial.

gnostic

The Lost One
I believe that is a non-sequitur. Please try to show your reasoning.

I believe you are assuming that Adam could not be created with eternal life. Certainly Christians believe that they will be changed bodily so that they have eternal life when Jesus returns and that does not require the fruit of a tree.

I believe what can be created can also be removed. However I am willing to view it as a creation of dependent eternal life ie dependent on the tree of life. There is no command to Adam to eat of the tree of life, so it does not appear to be that crucial.
But you are ignoring last 3 verses, that indicate eating from the Tree of Life would have let Adam to live forever, should eat the fruit, so he kicked them out of Eden, and set an angel to guard Eden.

“Genesis 3:22-24” said:
22 Then the Lord God said, “See, the man has become like one of us, knowing good and evil; and now, he might reach out his hand and take also from the tree of life, and eat, and live forever”— 23 therefore the Lord God sent him forth from the garden of Eden, to till the ground from which he was taken. 24 He drove out the man; and at the east of the garden of Eden he placed the cherubim, and a sword flaming and turning to guard the way to the tree of life.

If Adam ate from the Tree of Life, your claim god can take immortality away from Adam at any time, is false based on god said in verse 22, and then the actual expulsion of them from the Garden, in verses 23 & 24

If god didn’t need the Tree of Life to bestow eternal life then why fear and bar Adam and Eve from those fruits? Why place a cherubim with a flaming sword to deter them from re-entering Eden.

Based on what Genesis 3 say, your claim is the one that is baseless.

I maybe the skeptic one regarding to the Genesis story, but I am not the one twisting what those passages say.