• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Vegan & Vegetarian Stuff

Martin

Spam, wonderful spam (bloody vikings!)
I like the idea of vegetarian sausages, but all the ones I've tried taste like cardboard.
A lot of the "plant-based" food in supermarkets is disappointing actually.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
I like the idea of vegetarian sausages, but all the ones I've tried taste like cardboard.
A lot of the "plant-based" food in supermarkets is disappointing actually.

We used to get Quorn sausages in the UK. Not bad for vegi daughter who really liked them

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
They didn't make (or only just started making) the vegi sausage when left so not tried them unfortunately
Being an ex meat eater (albeit a long time ago) it's a weird thing with such alternatives in terms of enjoying / not enjoying. I can't help but compare it to meat. And then it might be a case of "I don't like it because it's too much like meat (texture-wise)" OR "I don't like it because it's nothing like meat." Go figure.
Richmond is a case of "I like it and it's like a real (!) sausage." (As opposed to a sausage shaped thing made up of squished vegetables).
But then also: Richmond isn't exactly a vegan company is it.
I'm surprised I manage to eat anything :rolleyes:

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
Being an ex meat eater (albeit a long time ago) it's a weird thing with such alternatives in terms of enjoying / not enjoying. I can't help but compare it to meat. And then it might be a case of "I don't like it because it's too much like meat (texture-wise)" OR "I don't like it because it's nothing like meat." Go figure.
Richmond is a case of "I like it and it's like a real (!) sausage." (As opposed to a sausage shaped thing made up of squished vegetables).

They jumped on the bandwagon.

I do like Richard meat sausages but can't say I've missed them. We have a butcher locally who makes his own Toulouse sausage, far better.

Martin

Yeah, the whole thing about veggie alternatives to meat is a bit incongruous. I haven't tried the Richmond sausages, I'll give them a try.

Martin

We used to get Quorn sausages in the UK. Not bad for vegi daughter who really liked them

I wasn't that keen on the quorn sausages. I used to like the quorn fillets, though they're not easy to get now for some reason.

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
So what's in it, if not honey?
The man himself was on the stall and said: Honey basically consists of just two sugars (glucose and sucrose) but in a very specific proportion. What the bees do, humans can do (and a lot more quickly)
(...and the only other listed ingredient is "flower scent esters.")

This isn't a one-off, vegan honey is a thing :)

eg (random choice)

- veganhoneycompany.com

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member
I ordered some vegan Worcestershire sauce in...

Doesn't mean I can pronounce it, though.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
The man himself was on the stall and said: Honey basically consists of just two sugars (glucose and sucrose) but in a very specific proportion. What the bees do, humans can do (and a lot more quickly)
(...and the only other listed ingredient is "flower scent esters.")

This isn't a one-off, vegan honey is a thing :)

eg (random choice)

- veganhoneycompany.com
Yes, but the combination of sugars in honey would stimulate only the 'sweet' receptors. It would have no taste but "sweet," and be indistinguishable from table sugar.
There's more in honey than just sugars. What extra ingredients makes this product taste like honey?

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
Yes, but the combination of sugars in honey would stimulate only the 'sweet' receptors. It would have no taste but "sweet," and be indistinguishable from table sugar.
There's more in honey than just sugars. What extra ingredients makes this product taste like honey?
I can only offer the "flower scent esters" from the label. You'll have to trust me (and my partner) on this one: on a blind tasting you'd 100% declare it to be honey.

Yerda

Veteran Member
I've had two meat eaters confirm they taste like sausages.

Also, if you like black pudding the Simon Howie veggie stuff is great. Surprisingly close to the real thing.

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
I've had two meat eaters confirm they taste like sausages.

Also, if you like black pudding the Simon Howie veggie stuff is great. Surprisingly close to the real thing.
Not heard of this.
Veggie haggis? @Revoltingest will go apoplectic!

One odd thing "Vegan approved by the Vegetarian Society" .....