• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Vegan & Vegetarian Stuff

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
I've seen this on products claiming to be vegan, but which also list Natural Flavors, Sorbates or Glycerides on their ingredient lists, so I'm skeptical.
I'm just wondering why, if it's vegan it's not saying the vegan society. Perhaps the vegan society won't endorse products from a butcher?

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I'm sure the Vegetarian Society tries its best, but examining every veggie product, researching ingredient sources and so on, is a massive and expensive task. For all I know the society consists of six people in someone's basement.

Or maybe the Vegetarian Society charges for their endorsement. I don't know.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
"A (UK) government research paper recommending people "shift dietary habits" towards plant-based foods has been hastily deleted."

- Climate plan urging plant-based diet shift deleted

The truth nearly got out!
I'm still waiting for someone to mention the elephant in the room: Overpopulation. We've exceeded the carrying capacity of the planet. We're using resources faster than they're being replenished.

Ashoka

श्री कृष्णा शरणं मम
Being vegetarian has helped with my stomach issues (I know, TMI, sorry guys) and I just feel better and healthier. My favorite thing to make is veggie pasta, which I am so glad exists. I loved pasta as a meat eater, and now I can eat it! :D

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
My favorite thing to make is veggie pasta, which I am so glad exists. I loved pasta as a meat eater, and now I can eat it!
My wife, who's from Sicily, makes this a lot, and even our grandkids love it!

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
I'm sure the Vegetarian Society tries its best, but examining every veggie product, researching ingredient sources and so on, is a massive and expensive task. For all I know the society consists of six people in someone's basement.

Or maybe the Vegetarian Society charges for their endorsement. I don't know.

The (UK) Vegetarian Society is a registered charity, the organisation dating back to 1847. It is based in Greater Manchester. There is a "small team" of staff that report to a Board of Trustees.
- Trusteelist | The Vegetarian Society

Companies can apply to the charity for trademarking. If the criteria are met the company pay a licence fee and can then put the Society trademark on the product.
- VSA Products Archive - Vegetarian Society

A summary of the most recent financials is here (scroll to the bottom):
- Vegetarian Society – Annual Report

...OK that's enough info for one post. I'll just finish off with a link to the Vegan Society:
- The Vegan Trademark

Last edited:

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member
McDonald's in the US finally adopted the veggie burger.

It was alright. Typical mediocre junk food. Its just nice to see another option out there.

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
McDonald's in the US finally adopted the veggie burger.

It was alright. Typical mediocre junk food. Its just nice to see another option out there.
Hope they don't run out. When launched in the UK there were incidences at several stores where they did and gave the unknowing customers meat burgers instead.

Ashoka

श्री कृष्णा शरणं मम
The Mexican restaurant here has an impossible burrito, that's what they call it, with fake steak meat. It's soooo good.

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member
Hope they don't run out. When launched in the UK there were incidences at several stores where they did and gave the unknowing customers meat burgers instead.

Being that we're in the Midwest(a heavy beef producing area), I don't think we're in any risk of that.