• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Vegan & Vegetarian Stuff

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
That's fair if you don't like the taste of meat. I liked it a lot and I still want to eat tasty things.

On the topic of spices, I just had a chickpea curry and it was ooooft! Yummety yum. Garlic, ginger and chilli is the real Holy Trinity for me.

We use curry leaves, mustard seeds, and cumin a lot. There is a South Indian snack from chick peas where you chop onion, and lightly fry all the stuff together. It's like a very dry chick pea curry. I'll try to find a recipe.

Edited ... here's the recipe ... they called it a chick pea salad for English readers. Sundal. South indian "Street" Food - Sundal (Chickpea Salad) — FSK

Edited ... although the recipe says to cook your own chick peas, you can 'cheat' by using canned ones, drained. Most of my Tamil friends think poorly of using canned chick peas. We use both. You can also easily freeze the ones you cook yourself. They're probably about 70% cheaper too.

Last edited:

Yerda

Veteran Member
We use curry leaves, mustard seeds, and cumin a lot. There is a South Indian snack from chick peas where you chop onion, and lightly fry all the stuff together. It's like a very dry chick pea curry. I'll try to find a recipe.

Edited ... here's the recipe ... they called it a chick pea salad for English readers. Sundal. South indian "Street" Food - Sundal (Chickpea Salad) — FSK
Thanks! I love chickpeas and cumin but I have never used curry or mustard leaves in my life. Never even seen them. That's something for the shopping list.

Edit: Mustard seeds. I've got them in the cupboard.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Thanks! I love chickpeas and cumin but I have never used curry or mustard leaves in my life. Never even seen them. That's something for the shopping list.
Curry leaves, and mustard seeds. Both usually available in Indian import shops. The curry leaves grow on a tree, and most people who love them grow their own trees. Fresh!

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
I'd like to see an ingredients list.

Because of covid, we are doing our food shopping online (and it gets delivered). Our last "shop" included some boring old bread rolls. Turned out when we checked the ingredients (as we would if in a physical shop) that they contain egg white. o_O

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member

Edit: Mustard seeds. I've got them in the cupboard.
One note, when Indian recipes refer to mustard seeds they are referring to brown mustard seeds. I used Amazon for mine since the local store only has yellow ones. The brown ones have more kick.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
One note, when Indian recipes refer to mustard seeds they are referring to brown mustard seeds. I used Amazon for mine since the local store only has yellow ones. The brown ones have more kick.

I prefer whole grain mustard, and have been buying the same quality brand since we moved here. A couple of weeks ago they had sold out so i had to risk a lesser brand made with brown instead of yellow seeds. Very nice

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
Very much so, she even tidies her own room and gets up on time for school. Also a pretty good cook but won't touch meat.
Impressive. Is she available on a 14 day trial? Meat free household.

What would you accept in exchange?

Last edited:

ChristineM

Premium Member
Impressive. Is she available on a 14 day trial? Meat free household.

What would you accept in exchange?

No trails, no guarantee, take or leave

Exchange,.. just donate a tenner to the charity of your choice. Oh, and we'll need visiting rights...

Little hint of possible trouble to come, she has just begun notice boys...

ChristineM

Premium Member
Tonight we will be having Moroccan lamb stew sans lamb, it's being replaced by tofu. Sorry, just been informed it's seitan.

Anyone else use seitan?

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Tonight we will be having Moroccan lamb stew sans lamb, it's being replaced by tofu. Sorry, just been informed it's seitan.

Anyone else use seitan?
I think you misspelled "Satan".

Seriously I have had that quite a few times. At Thanksgiving and Christmas I get together with my brother and his family. I cook the turkey and associated products, they cook the vegetables. They are mostly vegetarian and often vegan in their meals. Part of the dinner always includes some wheat gluten. As a meat eater I do find it quite tasty when they make it.

Lots of garlic is said to be important.