• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Vegan & Vegetarian Stuff

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member
Sadly, my husband and I had the conversation last night that in recent months, inflation has gotten out of control, and we'll have to buy much less vegetarian 'stuff'.

Some brands are staying about the same(Morningstar comes to mind), but the price on others(Quorn comes to mind) has skyrocketed. Anyone else noticing this in their areas?

Thinking textured vegetable protein might be a cheaper substitute in stews(or things of that nature).

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
Sadly, my husband and I had the conversation last night that in recent months, inflation has gotten out of control, and we'll have to buy much less vegetarian 'stuff'.

Some brands are staying about the same(Morningstar comes to mind), but the price on others(Quorn comes to mind) has skyrocketed. Anyone else noticing this in their areas?

Thinking textured vegetable protein might be a cheaper substitute in stews(or things of that nature).

Whatever vegetables are in season, mushrooms, herbs, spices and nuts.
Make some pastry, mix up something from above and voila, wonderful, cheap vegetable pies or pasties.

You can get Quorn???. My daughter loves it but its not available in France

Ashoka

श्री कृष्णा शरणं मम
For those who don't eat eggs, what do y'all use for an egg substitute? My grandma always taught me to use applesauce, but anything else?

JustGeorge

Staff member
Premium Member
Make some pastry, mix up something from above and voila, wonderful, cheap vegetable pies or pasties.

You can get Quorn???. My daughter loves it but its not available in France

Yup, there are a lot of veggi-meat free recipes that are perfectly wonderful without it. It was always more of a 'treat'. (Ares especially enjoys it.)

We can get some Quorn products, but not the full array that they have.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member

We've switched over to fake Tofu made from besan flour. My food sensitivity test a couple months ago indicated soy, so we did some experimenting. Take a bread pan, oil it a bit, and pour in maybe 1/2 inch of really smooth besan batter, it containing some oil, like a tablespoon. Then bake it in the oven until the edges seem to be drying away from the sides (20 minutes at most). Then flip it over, pop it out, and you have this slightly denser version of Tofu, probably healthier that you can cube, grill, add to chilis, etc.
I especially like the idea because tofu is used to make so many fake things, so tofu is getting it's own karma with fake tofu. But even better, it's dirt cheap, if you buy a large bag at an import store, ot a supermarket that sells it. Add any spices you want to too. Boss grilled some with tomato sauce and basil the other day.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
For those who don't eat eggs, what do y'all use for an egg substitute? My grandma always taught me to use applesauce, but anything else?
Besan works for that too. You can also buy glutinous rice flour, and you don't need much of it. The texture is rubbery.

JustGeorge

Staff member
Premium Member
We've switched over to fake Tofu made from besan flour. My food sensitivity test a couple months ago indicated soy, so we did some experimenting. Take a bread pan, oil it a bit, and pour in maybe 1/2 inch of really smooth besan batter, it containing some oil, like a tablespoon. Then bake it in the oven until the edges seem to be drying away from the sides (20 minutes at most). Then flip it over, pop it out, and you have this slightly denser version of Tofu, probably healthier that you can cube, grill, add to chilis, etc.
I especially like the idea because tofu is used to make so many fake things, so tofu is getting it's own karma with fake tofu. But even better, it's dirt cheap, if you buy a large bag at an import store, ot a supermarket that sells it. Add any spices you want to too. Boss grilled some with tomato sauce and basil the other day.

That sounds pretty good, thanks for the recipe! I've got plenty of besan flour around here to use up.

I enjoy tofu as... well, tofu. There's a lot of Asian dishes its delicious in. But I just don't think it works are a replacement... blech.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist

I love pasties-- a Yooper favorite! *

One of my former students was from India, and she said that because of lack of refrigeration that they only ate that which was seasonal.

* a Yooper joke: What's a Yooper seven-course-meal?

Answer: a pastie and a six-pack.

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
Just baked an Epic Chocolate Fudge Cake from BOSH!

Open the box, mix it up with oil and water, bake for 15 mins.....done.

Eaten a big fat piece and feel quite sick. Will be having some more later. Highly recommended.

D58C9624-1DCC-4FAD-92D5-0815D500458C.jpeg

Guitar's Cry

Disciple of Pan
Just baked an Epic Chocolate Fudge Cake from BOSH!

Open the box, mix it up with oil and water, bake for 15 mins.....done.

Eaten a big fat piece and feel quite sick. Will be having some more later. Highly recommended.

View attachment 59099

My favorite chocolate cake is my wife's vegan recipe: it's 6 ingredients and is so super moist and chocolatey. It's light, and not heavy, so you can eat a big fat piece and not feel sick. ;-)