• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Unpaid federal workers get help from food banks during government shutdown

TheresOnlyNow

The Mind Is Everything. U R What U Think
I know in several countries if something like this happened is would trigger a new election.
List those please so we can be aware. Thanks in advance. :)

Makes sense, if the government does not work, get a new one.
Fortunately, America's government doesn't operate as one would in throwing out a shirt they don't like so as to pull a fresh one off the rack to take its place.
America is a Democratic Constitutional Republic. We the people govern through a process. Not a dictatorial elective.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
Imagine that, Mr. "Make American Great Again" has this shut down affect people so much that they are receiving handouts from charitable organizations. Just imagine people with full-time jobs having to depend on charities to get by.
Much like my wife said this morning, it's like we've become a "banana republic" with this self-inflicted fiasco whereas screwing the poor and the laborers is quite acceptable to the Autocrat-In-Chief and so many of the wealthy and many in the middle class that don't worry about such things-- unless it affects them.

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
Imagine that, Mr. "Make American Great Again" has this shut down affect people so much that they are receiving handouts from charitable organizations. Just imagine people with full-time jobs having to depend on charities to get by. It is not only embarrassing for self-sufficient workers to be in this situation, but it demonstrates the carelessness of a president to put something like a border wall above the people. It has been shown through research that the wall does not keep people out yet Trump of course panders to the ignorant among his base who don't use common sense. This man is obviously not for the people and this is just becoming ridiculous. This truly angers me when the struggles of the American people do not take precedence over the whims of a man incapable of leadership. The following article talks about which organizations are involved with helping furloughed federal employees.

Unpaid federal workers turning to food banks as government shutdown continues
In the UK all of these employees would be eligible for redundancy applications, which means that they would receive at least one week's pay for every year of employment, plus full benefits, plus unemployment benefit.

I just don't get how the US can discard it's federal employees.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
It's the principal of the thing.
When 2 young toughs play chicken, no one dares swerve first.
That's loser talk.
If innocents are injured in the process, it's in service of the greater cause.

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
It's the principal of the thing.
When 2 young toughs play chicken, no one dares swerve first.
That's loser talk.
If innocents are injured in the process, it's in service of the greater cause.
I think such a system is a bloody disgrace.
I can only suppose or hope that Government Employees earn better wages so that they can afford premiums for redundancy protection insurance (by any other name).

And since you mentioned the word, the American concept of 'loser' is just sad.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I think such a system is a bloody disgrace.
I can only suppose or hope that Government Employees earn better wages so that they can afford premiums for redundancy protection insurance (by any other name).
Or they should be generally more frugal, accumulate
savings, & have credit lines for a rainy day.
That's what I do....everyone should be like me, eh.
And since you mentioned the word, the American concept of 'loser' is just sad.
That's more a politician's concept of "loser".

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
Or they should be generally more frugal, accumulate
savings, & have credit lines for a rainy day.
That's what I do....everyone should be like me, eh.
Ah, well. that's what I've done all through my life.
We probably have very insecure and paranoid natures. But when when tough times hit I could always cope.

That's more a politician's concept of "loser".
If politicians use it, it's because the people respond to it.

Epic Beard Man

Bearded Philosopher
In the UK all of these employees would be eligible for redundancy applications, which means that they would receive at least one week's pay for every year of employment, plus full benefits, plus unemployment benefit.

Your guess is as good as mines.

Jumi

We do have unions.
Those have nothing to do with Congress.
They do with the unpaid workers when your government shuts down. Here if that happened, the unions would pay their fees as they do with first couple of months if the workers are unemployed.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Ah, well. that's what I've done all through my life.
We probably have very insecure and paranoid natures. But when when tough times hit I could always cope.

If politicians use it, it's because the people respond to it.
There's the real problem....people.
If we could just get rid of them.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Look to Japan, they even have homes for elderly with robots leading karaoke sessions...
And who will care for the robots when they get old, huh!

Looks like @wu mated with a forklift.....
japan-is-running-out-of-people-to-take-care-of-the-elderly-so-its-making-robots-instead.jpg

TheresOnlyNow

It passed the house.
Of course. But we're not speaking about a bill solely to pay out of work federal employees during the shutdown.
We're talking about a bill that had all manner of garbage attached to it, through the Liberals actions, with no funding for the wall. So of course it passed the Democrat majority House.
A people who demonstrated not only are their most vocal opponents to the wall under trump hypocrites and immoral losers, like Pelosi who called the wall immoral, but under Obama defended the need for it, and wanted to commit billions more $ than Trump does now for its construction.
They also demonstrated in re-electing Pelosi as Speaker that among their number that out of her mind woman, which is on the record if anyone wants to look up Pelosisms, is the best they can do among their majority for Speaker of the House.

So yes, it passed the House. But it isn't the actual issue concerning giving monies to out of work federal workers during the shutdown. A bill solely for that purpose has not yet been drafted and with no add-on garbage.
Government Executive (Article)
GovExec.COM
9,000 Furloughed Federal Employees in D.C. Area File Unemployment Claims

TheresOnlyNow

Parliamentary system - Wikipedia

I haven watched the news today, Did the British government fall. They were saying yesterday that it could happen,
Thank you. I do not keep abreast of Parliamentary sessions. Though I have happened upon them a time or two. Your representatives, sorry I don't know their true title as pertains to Parliament, are a feisty bunch. I love that. I'd love to see our Congress get that rambunctious.
I've seen at YT that the HoC has even had members get into fights.
Can any American imagine that happening here? Mad Maxine takes a swing at a new Republican member?
:D

fantome profane

Anti-Woke = Anti-Justice
Premium Member
Your representatives, sorry I don't know their true title as pertains to Parliament,
Nope, dos guys ain’t my guys. I’m Canadian. A fews years after the Americans got their independence from those guys in s bloody war we got our independence from them by asking nicely.

But we do have a similar parliamentary system.