• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Unpaid federal workers get help from food banks during government shutdown

Epic Beard Man

Bearded Philosopher
Imagine that, Mr. "Make American Great Again" has this shut down affect people so much that they are receiving handouts from charitable organizations. Just imagine people with full-time jobs having to depend on charities to get by. It is not only embarrassing for self-sufficient workers to be in this situation, but it demonstrates the carelessness of a president to put something like a border wall above the people. It has been shown through research that the wall does not keep people out yet Trump of course panders to the ignorant among his base who don't use common sense. This man is obviously not for the people and this is just becoming ridiculous. This truly angers me when the struggles of the American people do not take precedence over the whims of a man incapable of leadership. The following article talks about which organizations are involved with helping furloughed federal employees.

Unpaid federal workers turning to food banks as government shutdown continues

TheresOnlyNow

The Mind Is Everything. U R What U Think
A bill to give federal employees their monies would have to enter the House first. Paid before the shutdown concludes.
How likely is that?
It's the Dem's fault this shutdown was made necessary. The most vocal opponents now were the most ardent supporters of a wall, and funding, under Obama.
Those Dem's partisan hatred of Trump, obstructionist politics, are what is causing this problem.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
Rather than an elegant rollout to their anti-corruption, pro-health care, aggressive-on-climate change agenda, House Democrats have been locked from Day 1 in a fierce partisan fight with President Donald Trump over how to reopen a partially shuttered government. It has been a wake-up call to the ways of Washington particularly for the new members, who are getting a dramatic introduction to government dysfunction.

“I’m frustrated. I came into Congress ready to get stuff done,” Rep. Ben McAdams (D-UT), a newly elected member who represents one of the most conservative districts held by a Democrat, told me. “But here we are, two weeks in, and we haven’t been able to turn on the lights. ... Some of the important debates aren’t happening right now because of the shutdown.”
https://www.vox.com/policy-and-poli...vernment-shutdown-2019-house-democrats-agenda

Seems to be putting a damper on the Democratic controlled House's agenda as well.

youknowme

Whatever you want me to be.
A bill to give federal employees their monies would have to enter the House first. Paid before the shutdown concludes.
How likely is that?
It's the Dem's fault this shutdown was made necessary. The most vocal opponents now were the most ardent supporters of a wall, and funding, under Obama.
Those Dem's partisan hatred of Trump, obstructionist politics, are what is causing this problem.

Your syntax is odd. . . Are you even an American?

youknowme

Whatever you want me to be.
The Democrats have to stand their ground, as they need to show Trump and the Republicans that you can't just bully the American people to get what you want. If the Democrats give up now then Trump will just see this as a weakness to exploit later. The Democrats are doing exactly what they should be doing, standing up to a bully.

fantome profane

Anti-Woke = Anti-Justice
Premium Member
The entire idea of a government shutdown is so incredibly stupid that it comes to no surprise that it's only a thing in the USA.
I know in several countries if something like this happened is would trigger a new election.

Makes sense, if the government does not work, get a new one.

TheresOnlyNow

Seriously?
You are unaware that a budget was passed, and Trump refused to sign it?
Seriously?
Tom
There's a difference between a bill solely to pay back pay to federal workers during the shutdown, and that of the budget deal. Which as we know didn't include funding for the wall. Which is why he didn't sign.

A bill solely for paying federal workers back pay during the shutdown was what I referred to in my post.

Quetzal

A little to the left and slightly out of focus.
Premium Member
A bill solely for paying federal workers back pay during the shutdown was what I referred to in my post.
A compromise to help do exactly that was drafted.

This week, House Democrats plan to pass four individual appropriations bills that would fund agencies that are not controversial, like the Treasury Department, the Interior Department, and the Agriculture Department.
https://www.vox.com/policy-and-poli...ial-government-shutdown-house-democrats-bills

I do not believe it ever made it to a vote due to McConnell and company.

Salvador

RF's Swedenborgian
Imagine that, Mr. "Make American Great Again" has this shut down affect people so much that they are receiving handouts from charitable organizations. Just imagine people with full-time jobs having to depend on charities to get by. It is not only embarrassing for self-sufficient workers to be in this situation, but it demonstrates the carelessness of a president to put something like a border wall above the people. It has been shown through research that the wall does not keep people out yet Trump of course panders to the ignorant among his base who don't use common sense. This man is obviously not for the people and this is just becoming ridiculous. This truly angers me when the struggles of the American people do not take precedence over the whims of a man incapable of leadership. The following article talks about which organizations are involved with helping furloughed federal employees.

Unpaid federal workers turning to food banks as government shutdown continues

The partial government shut down has gone on long enough. The Democrats now are simply too staunchly opposed to an effective border security barrier system. I'd like to see continuing resolutions to reopen the government for a few weeks while negotiations take place in Congress regarding the funding of an effective border security barrier system. Also, continuing resolutions will fairly compensate government workers who did not get their pay checks last week.

If Congress fails in its duty to appropriate funding for an effective border security barrier system, then as a last resort, a national emergency should be declared by the POTUS.

Salvador

RF's Swedenborgian
The Democrats have to stand their ground, as they need to show Trump and the Republicans that you can't just bully the American people to get what you want. If the Democrats give up now then Trump will just see this as a weakness to exploit later. The Democrats are doing exactly what they should be doing, standing up to a bully.

Five key Senate Democrats have entirely flip-flopped on the issue of a border security barrier system and these Senators have failed to explain why they now are against the same type of border security barrier system that they supported when they voted for the Secure Fence Act of 2006.

Five current Democratic U.S. senators, including the party’s top leadership, all voted for the
Secure Fence Act Of 2006, the very law that authorized the same type of border security system that President Trump now wants to extend across the vast stretch of land between the U.S.-Mexico border.

They are:
  • Minority Leader Sen. Chuck Schumer, D-N.Y.
  • Sen. Dianne Feinstein, D-Calif.
  • Sen. Ron Wyden, D-Ore
  • Sen. Tom Carper, D-Del.
  • Sen. Debbie Stabenow, D-Mich.
These 5 Democratic Senators have now withdrawn their support for an effective border security system, merely out of Partisan Party politics in order to oppose Republican President Trump who has vowed to have an effective border security system extended across most of our nation's border with Mexico.

Also, in 2013: All Senate Dems voted to build border fence, kill visa lottery, end chain migration::

2013: All Senate Dems voted to build border fence, kill visa lottery, end chain migration

TheresOnlyNow

A compromise to help do exactly that was drafted.

https://www.vox.com/policy-and-poli...ial-government-shutdown-house-democrats-bills

I do not believe it ever made it to a vote due to McConnell and company.
And likely such will never get past the obstructionist Dem's in the House.
They didn't arrange to illegally obtain majority there for nothing. And as costly as it was, while those who were their co-con-spirators are still free of prison, an one in Florida is not only free, but draws a pension, benefits, and when eligible, SS, for her repeated illegal election interference over many years of being the top person in the Dept. of Elections.

If the Republicans would have been allowed to gain majority in both houses the second prong of America's destruction would have been thwarted. Just as the first was when Trump beat HRC.

We have two years to suffer the House devils. Meanwhile, when traitor BHO could brag he didn't need Congress because he had a phone and a pen, Trump as a Patriot can, unlike BHO, protect America with his phone and pen.
God be with him.