• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Unpacking Donald Trump's controversial Tweet

Epic Beard Man

Bearded Philosopher
Over the weekend Donald Trump tweeted some controversial remarks concerning newly elected as well as popular congresswomen, Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez, Ilhan Omar, Rashida Tlaib, and Ayanna Pressley. Trump tweeted:

"So interesting to see “Progressive” Democrat Congresswomen, who originally came from countries whose governments are a complete and total catastrophe, the worst, most corrupt and inept anywhere in the world (if they even have a functioning government at all), now loudly......

....and viciously telling the people of the United States, the greatest and most powerful Nation on earth, how our government is to be run. Why don’t they go back and help fix the totally broken and crime infested places from which they came. Then come back and show us how....

....it is done. These places need your help badly, you can’t leave fast enough. I’m sure that Nancy Pelosi would be very happy to quickly work out free travel arrangements!"

The problem with this tweet is that 3 of the 4 are actual United States citizens so to say "go back where you come from" is nothing short delegating the four women as an other when it comes to this country. citing the New Yorker, Ocasio-Cortez recalls a memory where her father took her to Washington D.C. as a girl where her father showed her the Capitol, the reflecting pool, the Lincoln Memorial, and other sites of American democracy and told her "this belongs to all of us."

The fact of the matter is many persons of color are still taught that we don't belong, and many of us are reminded almost everyday that we need to go back to whatever land we come from. If we are born here then we are to go back to our ancestral homeland. I've personally encountered this on more than one occasion. Considering that I was born and raised in California, I've been told to go back to Africa, but of course now I find it comical because I'll respond "which country because there are 54 of them?" You see, three of the four Congresswomen are U.S. citizens and only Omar, an immigrant from Somalia who came here at the age of 5 is the only naturalized one. Regardless, they are still Congresswomen and are the face of the U.S.

Jim Hines tweeted:

"Unlike the Democratic Congresswomen @realDonaldTrump attacked today, I actually am a foreign-born Member of Congress. But I'm a white male of European descent, so there's no chance he'll attack me. His tantrum has nothing to do with birthplace."

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/D_jlGhKWwAEL8oo.jpg:large

Plain and simple the comment was racist

Shad

Veteran Member
A nation is not a race. Omar is from Somalia. Is Somalia a good place to live? Nope Try again.

You need to talk to a councilor to deal with your paranoia and other issues. You are projecting.

Altfish

Veteran Member
It is all about diversion and whipping up his base. He is a shrewd political operator (or is being manipulated as such) and knows how to command the media; his manic tweets distract the Media, the Democrats and their supporters and deflect them from what they should be concentrating on i.e. sorting an electable candidate to take on Trump.

He is a horrible man who may be making Amurica Grate Agin but the rest of the world (apart from Russia) have little time for him.

Unfortunately, my country is heading in the same obnoxious direction.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Interestingly Trump's immigrant wife has remained silent; perhaps she is sorting out her papers so she can go back home.
A wise person knows when it's best to avoid the fray.
Because poop flinging accomplishes nothing but
covering all participants in poop.

Kangaroo Feathers

Yea, it is written in the Book of Cyril...
Interestingly Trump's immigrant wife has remained silent; perhaps she is sorting out her papers so she can go back home.
50010174_1556749807802567_4282383771967160320_n.jpg

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
A nation is not a race. Omar is from Somalia. Is Somalia a good place to live? Nope Try again.

You need to talk to a councilor to deal with your paranoia and other issues. You are projecting.
You are so grasping at straws. To say nothing of glossing over the fact that, as clearly stated in the OP, there were four congresswomen addressed by Trump's comments and it turns out that the other three are very much US citizens.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
It is all about diversion and whipping up his base. He is a shrewd political operator (or is being manipulated as such) and knows how to command the media; his manic tweets distract the Media, the Democrats and their supporters and deflect them from what they should be concentrating on i.e. sorting an electable candidate to take on Trump.

He is a horrible man who may be making Amurica Grate Agin but the rest of the world (apart from Russia) have little time for him.

Unfortunately, my country is heading in the same obnoxious direction.
His nurture of conflict with Iran was a similar distraction, topped by the attempt at appearing naive, compassionate and spontaneous when he supposedly learned at the last minute that, yes, ordering a bomb dropping would kill people.

How come so many Americans listen to his crap?

Shad

Veteran Member
You are so grasping at straws. To say nothing of glossing over the fact that, as clearly stated in the OP, there were four congresswomen addressed by Trump's comments and it turns out that the other three are very much US citizens.

Assertion backed by another assertion as he didn't name anyone.

Can someone be wrong without being a racist?

Do you think he would have said anything if Omar was a MAGA hat wearing member of the GOP?

Why do those members, for argument sake, always reference their sex, religion and skin colour?

Why does Tlaib feel like a Palestinian in Congress rather than an American?

Why are the progressives always defined by X-American instead of just American.

Shad

Veteran Member
Sure, one can be.

So he could be wrong without being a racist then. You have concede the point as per below.

Then again, there are situations such as the one discussed in this thread, which clearly do involve racism.

Assertion and given the above concession you have nothing.

Is Nararro a racist for babbling about deporting Cruz and Rubio?

I edited my post. Take a look

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Over the weekend Donald Trump tweeted some controversial remarks concerning newly elected as well as popular congresswomen, Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez, Ilhan Omar, Rashida Tlaib, and Ayanna Pressley. Trump tweeted:

"So interesting to see “Progressive” Democrat Congresswomen, who originally came from countries whose governments are a complete and total catastrophe, the worst, most corrupt and inept anywhere in the world (if they even have a functioning government at all), now loudly......

....and viciously telling the people of the United States, the greatest and most powerful Nation on earth, how our government is to be run. Why don’t they go back and help fix the totally broken and crime infested places from which they came. Then come back and show us how....

....it is done. These places need your help badly, you can’t leave fast enough. I’m sure that Nancy Pelosi would be very happy to quickly work out free travel arrangements!"

The problem with this tweet is that 3 of the 4 are actual United States citizens so to say "go back where you come from" is nothing short delegating the four women as an other when it comes to this country. citing the New Yorker, Ocasio-Cortez recalls a memory where her father took her to Washington D.C. as a girl where her father showed her the Capitol, the reflecting pool, the Lincoln Memorial, and other sites of American democracy and told her "this belongs to all of us."

The fact of the matter is many persons of color are still taught that we don't belong, and many of us are reminded almost everyday that we need to go back to whatever land we come from. If we are born here then we are to go back to our ancestral homeland. I've personally encountered this on more than one occasion. Considering that I was born and raised in California, I've been told to go back to Africa, but of course now I find it comical because I'll respond "which country because there are 54 of them?" You see, three of the four Congresswomen are U.S. citizens and only Omar, an immigrant from Somalia who came here at the age of 5 is the only naturalized one. Regardless, they are still Congresswomen and are the face of the U.S.

Jim Hines tweeted:

"Unlike the Democratic Congresswomen @realDonaldTrump attacked today, I actually am a foreign-born Member of Congress. But I'm a white male of European descent, so there's no chance he'll attack me. His tantrum has nothing to do with birthplace."

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/D_jlGhKWwAEL8oo.jpg:large

Plain and simple the comment was racist

Yeah, there's no real spin or defense that one can make here. But as someone else mentioned, it's the kind of statement that appeals to certain atavistic elements in the US, which has been an underlying problem.

I've heard such talk before; it's something that people say out in the street, but it's not something that's deemed acceptable.

It's also a pretty stupid thing to say, since 3 of the 4 it was directed to actually come from America.

It's a variation on the old "Love it or Leave It" mantra that has often been used in US political discourse for as long as I can remember. That's what the hard-hats used to tell the hippies. I always thought that was a lame non-argument anyway.

Stanyon

WWMRD?

Shad

Veteran Member
Yeah, there's no real spin or defense that one can make here. But as someone else mentioned, it's the kind of statement that appeals to certain atavistic elements in the US, which has been an underlying problem.

I have already. You never made an effort.

I've heard such talk before; it's something that people say out in the street, but it's not something that's deemed acceptable.

Anecdotal evidence. "I once heard terrorist say Allah is Great. I heard Muslims say this too. Something something correlation"

It's a variation on the old "Love it or Leave It" mantra that has often been used in US political discourse for as long as I can remember. That's what the hard-hats used to tell the hippies. I always thought that was a lame non-argument anyway.

So you are conceding it could be completely political in nature. Ergo is those "4" were GOP they wouldn't be targets.