• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

unimportant public notice

JacobEzra.

Dr. Greenthumb
So I know I will seem like a loon, but I think I have renounced catholicim and christianity as a whole. I hope my friends will understand and respect my decision.

Again, I know I sound like a loon.

I just thought it would be best to just come out with it. Instead of just beating round the bush. Though I'm sure some have noticed because of recent posts.

Last edited by a moderator:

-Peacemaker-

.45 Cal
Why? Did you begin to doubt the character of God because of something painful he allowed to happen? Did you lose faith that he'll take care of your needs?

JacobEzra.

Dr. Greenthumb
Why? Did you begin to doubt the character of God because of something painful he allowed to happen? Did you lose faith that he'll take care of your needs?

Actually, neither. My life has been very good. Best in years with acceptence into job corps and stable life. Just I relize my conversion was wrong for many reasons. A lot of faith questioning and soul searching.

Renji

It's normal to question things about your faith my friend. I think, people who do this becomes "more faithful" or is actually "more faithful" than those who just sit down and say "Hey, this is what I believe in. Therefore, it's right." and stuff like that. Although the outcome of that action would actually vary.

JacobEzra.

Dr. Greenthumb
It's normal to question things about your faith my friend. I think, people who do this becomes "more faithful" or is actually "more faithful" than those who just sit down and say "Hey, this is what I believe in. Therefore, it's right." and stuff like that. Although the outcome of that action would actually vary.
Thing is bro, I hhave lost all faith in Jesus

Renji

Thing is bro, I hhave lost all faith in Jesus

When I said "faith", it is not something literal (e.g. putting your trust in a particular deity). I just remembered what my philosophy teacher once taught us: "Those who question a lot about their beliefs may be considered more faithful than us who don't, in a way that they explore more about things on whether they should believe in it or not." I hope you get me bro.

And about the Jesus thing, well, if you really want to find him (that is just if you want), then perhaps you should try to find that "old, wounded man within you" and try to see that wounded man "dying and having a new life". Now I won't tell you what that means, how to do that and why even do that bro (besides, it can be subjective), it's for you to find out I guess, as a part of your soul searching. :D

Don't take that as an advice though bro, but something that is just a word from a "friend".

Last edited:

TheKnight

Guardian of Life
Rejection of faith, at some point in life, is, so I believe, a very good thing. Even if you risk losing it never to gain it again, I that taking that step beyond whatever faith you were raised in or have converted to can help you to develop as a person.

For me personally, rejecting Christianity was difficult as I faced external familial pressure and internal pressure that built up over the fact that I was raised a Christian. But over time I realized that I can't pretend to believe in something I think is false and ultimately rejected it.

Funnily enough, I don't even care about true or false anymore. Even though I believe my beliefs are accurate, whether they are true or false is irrelevant to me because I see religion as a system for personal development. We all develop differently, so why wouldn't religious practice differ? And if I expect practices to differ how can I even refer to a religion as true or false? I think beneficial is a better way of looking at it.

Religious practice/belief can be beneficial or harmful for a person. And a person should be cognizant of whether or not their practice/belief is beneficial or harmful to themselves. In this case I would say that harmful includes stagnation. If you look at your religious faith, in your case Catholicism, and you find that you simply cannot or don't believe it and you don't find the practices beneficial, then it makes sense to change your practice and/or beliefs.

Either way, I hope your journey goes well as you continue on in it.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
So I know I will seem like a loon, but I think I have renounced catholicim and christianity as a whole. I hope my friends will understand and respect my decision.

I just thought it would be best to just come out with it. Instead of just beating round the bush. Though I'm sure some have noticed because of recent posts.

You aren't treading a path others haven't tread. Best wishes.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
If I may barge in where I don't belong....it doesn't sound loony to me.
Does it matter how it sounds to others?

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
Perhaps I read more into the the concept of renunciation than I should, but I'd be careful about exchanging one certitude for another.

JacobEzra.

Dr. Greenthumb
Thank you for your words and sharing your insight
Rejection of faith, at some point in life, is, so I believe, a very good thing. Even if you risk losing it never to gain it again, I that taking that step beyond whatever faith you were raised in or have converted to can help you to develop as a person.

For me personally, rejecting Christianity was difficult as I faced external familial pressure and internal pressure that built up over the fact that I was raised a Christian. But over time I realized that I can't pretend to believe in something I think is false and ultimately rejected it.

Funnily enough, I don't even care about true or false anymore. Even though I believe my beliefs are accurate, whether they are true or false is irrelevant to me because I see religion as a system for personal development. We all develop differently, so why wouldn't religious practice differ? And if I expect practices to differ how can I even refer to a religion as true or false? I think beneficial is a better way of looking at it.

Religious practice/belief can be beneficial or harmful for a person. And a person should be cognizant of whether or not their practice/belief is beneficial or harmful to themselves. In this case I would say that harmful includes stagnation. If you look at your religious faith, in your case Catholicism, and you find that you simply cannot or don't believe it and you don't find the practices beneficial, then it makes sense to change your practice and/or beliefs.

Either way, I hope your journey goes well as you continue on in it.

JacobEzra.

Dr. Greenthumb
If I may barge in where I don't belong....it doesn't sound loony to me.
Does it matter how it sounds to others?

Eh not so much with folk online. But I do with famil who I converted for. And that is no real reason to convert, no matter how I word it and repeat it.

blackout

Violet.
To Thine Own Self Be True.

Even your family members deserve the True You.
Playing out roles for the sake of others
can come to no good when the "part" you are playing is your life.

In the end,
when vestments become too uncomfortable
we will most likely shed them anyway.

Better that you did it now.
It took me far longer.
I racked up a whole lot of real damages.
Looking like a loon for a short season is nothing in comparison.

EDIT: And I'm sure that while I came off as a conundrum to most,
I was seen as a loon by no small handful as well anyway. :p

Last edited:

JacobEzra.

Dr. Greenthumb
Good luck in finding a new faith!

Thanks Bob(and UV and evdryone else)

Though I'm sure I am just returning to the faith I originally was, imma just keep it gangsta for now though.

I have learned a lesson though. Changing yourself for others or because it seems like it'll be easier, is a foolish thing.

Bob Dixon

>implying

Though I'm sure I am just returning to the faith I originally was, imma just keep it gangsta for now though.

I have learned a lesson though. Changing yourself for others or because it seems like it'll be easier, is a foolish thing.

It certainly is!
So keep it gangsta, my son!

-Peacemaker-

.45 Cal

Most people I know worship themselves. They are their own god. It sounds like you're going to be placing all your chips on yourself, or some other part of creation, as opposed to the creator in order to find fulfillment. I realize I can be a sarcastic prick but this much I say with total sincerity: I pray you would be blessed in every way and be given wisdom and a humble heart.

JacobEzra.

Dr. Greenthumb
Most people I know worship themselves. They are their own god. It sounds like you're going to be placing all your chips on yourself, or some other part of creation, as opposed to the creator in order to find fulfillment. I realize I can be a sarcastic prick but this much I say with total sincerity: I pray you would be blessed in every way and be given wisdom and a humble heart.
Please spare me from your predictions, thanks :)