• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Understanding and compassion on RF

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
My apologies, but I'm having a hard time understanding your point. What does GD have to do with anything here?
Yes, sadly, and the reason I started this thread was summarised in post #9. I happened to speak with a psychiatrist friend this morning at our temple, and I asked him for advice on how Average Joe should deal with it in real life. He said non-judgemental listening was the standard practice. That ... and he said, in his business it's pretty common.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Human psychology is so varied and runs all kinds of spectrums I wonder if even the experts know where the line is between a person simply having a full-of-themselves attitude to GD.
I think there is a difference between saying, "I'm smart' versus 'I'm God'.

The effects can be devastating either way. A former neighbour of mine (not GD, just D) quit her job because she 'won' the lottery. Another person I know was about to invest his entire life savings in a single stock, convinced he was smart enough to know which was the best investment. His dear wife talked him out of the full investment at the last moment, and she did cut their losses.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
I think there is a difference between saying, "I'm smart' versus 'I'm God'.

The effects can be devastating either way. A former neighbour of mine (not GD, just D) quit her job because she 'won' the lottery. Another person I know was about to invest his entire life savings in a single stock, convinced he was smart enough to know which was the best investment. His dear wife talked him out of the full investment at the last moment, and she did cut their losses.
Just one example of the issue: There's a big difference between "I'm smart" and "I'm wise" - intelligence does not equal wisdom. And "I'm God (and you are not)" versus "I'm God (and so is everyone else)".

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
Right understanding can be the root to compassion, no?
Call me silly, but I'd say you have it exactly backwards. Compassion, in my view, will promote so-called "right" understanding otherwise you are putting the cart before the horse.

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
hmm.. could be.
Compassion is an emotional response to reality. Our understanding grows when we allow that compassion to guide us. That said, yes, many posters on RF are obviously suffering from delusions of grandeur. They simply cannot help themselves, but are in no real position to either support or defend their wild ideas. Most are lousy communicators to boot. What is odd is that many don't even realize they are lousy communicators and the fact would seem to be lost on them.

There's really not much one can do in such cases other than to look and smile. There is little point in trying to get them to see reason.

Last edited:

icehorse

......unaffiliated...... anti-dogmatist
Premium Member
Call me silly, but I'd say you have it exactly backwards. Compassion, in my view, will promote so-called "right" understanding otherwise you are putting the cart before the horse.

there's no need to be bringing horses into this mess