• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

UK banning all petrol , diesel, and hybrid vehicles by 2035.

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member
The solution to this problem can be found in the past. Horses. Livery stables can become a revived source of employment, as well as street sweepers. Blacksmiths will also find gainful employment in shoes and bridles manufacturing, as well as for wagon wheels for mass transit horse-drawn carriages. As far as air-travel goes, a program of old-wisdom will need to reeducate the population with marketing slogans, "If God intended us to fly, he'd have given us wings". As far as inconvenience to people goes, the response will be, "God gave you feet, use them".

This should fix the carbon footprint problem upon the planet, as well as bring people closer together moving about more slowly and interacting with each other more, than is the case currently in our personal horseless chariot-pods traveling at 70 mph past each other all day long. It's time to bring the past into the present, and into the future; our future.

BSM1

What? Me worry?
The solution to this problem can be found in the past. Horses. Livery stables can become a revived source of employment, as well as street sweepers. Blacksmiths will also find gainful employment in shoes and bridles manufacturing, as well as for wagon wheels for mass transit horse-drawn carriages. As far as air-travel goes, a program of old-wisdom will need to reeducate the population with marketing slogans, "If God intended us to fly, he'd have given us wings". As far as inconvenience to people goes, the response will be, "God gave you feet, use them".

This should fix the carbon footprint problem upon the planet, as well as bring people closer together moving about more slowly and interacting with each other more, than is the case currently in our personal horseless chariot-pods traveling at 70 mph past each other all day long. It's time to bring the past into the present, and into the future; our future.

Plus, in a pinch, horse meat can be delicious on rye...just sayin'.

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Plus, in a pinch, horse meat can be delicious on rye...just sayin'.
That's true, in emergency situations, such as being snowed in in a mountain pass, you're not without a high-protein food source. Your fellow travelers will be grateful for an alternative meat source, than themselves.

BSM1

What? Me worry?
That's true, in emergency situations, such as being snowed in in a mountain pass, you're not without a high-protein food source. Your fellow travelers will be grateful for an alternative meat source, than themselves.

Or if family drops by unexpectedly and you have no venison in the larder.

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
My question is where are people going to hook up?
My paternal grandmother was born in the late 1890s.
She scandalized her whole Irish Catholic family by going on a trip in the "flivver" with a man she wasn't yet married to, all the way from The Soo to Niagara Falls.

One dire prediction was that she'd be trapped into a life of sin by the lack of fuel for the flivver out in some God Forsaken wasteland of the USA. You know what those people are like.
Tom

BSM1

What? Me worry?
My paternal grandmother was born in the late 1890s.
She scandalized her whole Irish Catholic family by going on a trip in the "flivver" with a man she wasn't yet married to, all the way from The Soo to Niagara Falls.

One dire prediction was that she'd be trapped into a life of sin by the lack of fuel for the flivver out in some God Forsaken wasteland of the USA. You know what those people are like.
Tom

Not as cool as your story, but my Grandmother was born in 1900. She loved to tell how she lied about her age when she was 15 (1915) to get a job. She wanted to buy a pair of 'high button shoes' ( she gave me her 'button hook', which I prize). Today's generations seem to think this is ancient history, but it really wasn't that long ago.

Last edited:

Wu Wei

ursus senum severiorum and ex-Bisy Backson
I see pessimism is the currency for most in this thread. One point is the rapidly increasing speed of a basic charge as well as the increasing range between charges.

The new update allows the cars to connect to 200kW European ultra fast chargers, which can add up to 850 miles of range per hour to properly configured vehicles.
(but wait. there's more. coming soon)
Model 3 LR will be able to add 75 miles of driving range in as little at 5 minutes.

Top Gear Declares Tesla Model 3 Fastest Charging Car In The World | CleanTechnica

I think Electric vehicles are a good idea, but they are not there yet if you want/need the range. And they are INCREDIBLY expensive if you want the range.

> Tesla can starts around $70,000 with a range of about 400 miles
> Although the model 3 is about $40,000 but has a range of 250 miles, albeit impressive for an electric car, is still almost twice the cost of a good gas powered car with about 150 miles less in range
> Volkswagen Golf starts around $23,000 with a range, at an average of 32mpg, of about 400 miles
> Currently the average range of an electric car is generally less than 100 miles with a few exceptions as high as 150

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
Not as cool as your story, but my Grandmother was born in 1900. She loved to tell how she lied about her age when she was 15 (1915) to get a job. She wanted to buy a pair of 'high button shoes' ( she gave her 'button hook', which I prize). Today's generations seem to think this is ancient history, but it really wasn't that long ago.
No, it really isn't.

And when I compare the changes in the world she saw, from ~1898-1985, then think about what kids today are probably going to have to deal with as things change faster and faster...
Tom

BSM1

What? Me worry?
No, it really isn't.

And when I compare the changes in the world she saw, from ~1898-1985, then think about what kids today are probably going to have to deal with as things change faster and faster...
Tom

True dat...

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
I think Electric vehicles are a good idea, but they are not there yet if you want/need the range. And they are INCREDIBLY expensive if you want the range.

> Although the model 3 is about $40,000 but has a range of 250 miles, albeit impressive for an electric car, is still almost twice the cost of a good gas powered car with about 150 miles less in range
> Volkswagen Golf starts around $23,000 with a range, at an average of 32mpg, of about 400 miles
> Currently the average range of an electric car is generally less than 100 miles with a few exceptions as high as 150
True but as you pointed out if you need range and also can't wait between charges with the current state of the art.

I have a PEV so I can use electricity or gas as needed. Since most of my trips are very short, my gas mileage is over 100mpg overall. When I'm using gas only, it's close to 35-40 on average. That shows I'm on battery a lot. And I typically recharge only at night when costs are cheapest (I have time of day electricity pricing).

BSM1

What? Me worry?

So instead of carrying a gas can in case we run out of gas, we'll have to start carrying a rather large capacitor?

Milton Platt

Petrol and diesel ban: UK gives car industry 15 years to ditch fossil fuels - CNN

It's only 15 years away. *Yikes*

Apparently it's only electric and hydrogen vehicles that will be allowed.

It's going to be interesting to say the least.

My question is where are people going to hook up? How are the batteries going to be disposed of? And just how expensive will it be, considering electricity will be in massive demand as a companies take advantage of substantial price increases and gouging? Will there be continuous rolling blackouts and brown outs because of the demand of electricity taxing the grid?

And how are the electric companies going to be run? Will there be a ban as well on diesel turbines and the like?

All of those questions will have to be sorted out in the next 15 years...that's why they didn't do it immediately.
But they are all valid questions. Here is an article I found awhile back on battery recycling that had a lot of detail.
Recycling lithium-ion batteries from electric vehicles | Nature

Shad

Veteran Member
My question is where are people going to hook up?

Homes, energy bars (assumed retooled gas stations) along with possible public and private charging stations (work, public buildings, other organizations). Gas stations (company level) in Canada are already adding quick charge stations along side of gasoline pumps. Slow charge is possible in a lot of homes without internal modification via external tools be it a kit or part of the vehicle. Electricity companies are upgrading grids and homes to future proof their customer base and gain customers from the "fuel" industry. Costs are covered government, business and/or customer. There is a level of subsidies going to be involved.

How are the batteries going to be disposed of?

Recycling which already exists currently for consumer electronics. If you have dropped off a laptop, notebook, etc which has a battery pack to a depot it is the same practice in principle. For electric vehicles an unsuitable battery still has 80% capacity. It is a regulation of business and operation not a general use standard. Outside of dead batteries vehicle batteries can be retooled for other purposes; lower grade vehicles, tools, backup, etc.

And just how expensive will it be, considering electricity will be in massive demand as a companies take advantage of substantial price increases and gouging?

Costs are going to increase as fossil fuels and gas are cheaper from raw resource to finished product at this time. Renewables are still in a development phase regardless of the successive uses. Current technology is so far ahead of technology a few years ago that government does not even want to touch old developments, not even for pork in bills. Give it a decade as industry retools and expands effectincy for costs to balance out. However that does not mean government wont cover costs be it for the customer or business.

Will there be continuous rolling blackouts and brown outs because of the demand of electricity taxing the grid?

The grid is outdated in general even under the current fuel sources. Government would have to mess up badly for major grid problems. The issue is the costs and source of funding.

And how are the electric companies going to be run?

No different than now. Keep in mind a lot of oil companies are retooling.

Will there be a ban as well on diesel turbines and the like?

Not in general. Those will be required by at the very least medical, government and military facilities as a backup. Consumer use could see regulations.