• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

UFO mystery solved

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Perhaps many UFOs are ball lightening?

I recommend studying ball lightening. It's weird and common enough. There are even some videos of it.
I think a lot of it has to do with natural phenomena of which ball lightning can certainly be included.

I tend to think the majority of sightings will be attributed to experimental aircraft and such with a small percentage being mysterious and questionable as to where it comes from.

UFOs certainly exist. The question is if it comes from us or something else.

Howard Is

Lucky Mud
Are you saying a psychologically normal person became permanently psychologically disturbed? What could this UFO possibly be doing that affects peoples' brains like that?

It wasn’t just the UFO that caused her breakdown, it was the way she was treated by investigators and others. Imagine being a young girl, seeing something like that, and being treated like a liar or a nut job.

There is a documentary about this incident, but it may be hard to find. Which is strange in itself. If I can find it, I’ll post a link.

Howard Is

Lucky Mud
I suspect there are all kinds of secret military craft we don't know about. Were you near a military base where they develop such things?

No, this was in the western suburbs of Sydney.
There is evidence from psychological research which indicates that many people (most ?) will simply ‘not see’ something which the group collectively denies.
Milgram and Zimbardo did some very revealing research in this area.

Maybe it's not such a good idea to approach a UFO to have a better look?

Not if public opinion matters to you.

Howard Is

Lucky Mud
Three videos posted online that have been described as being related to UFO sightings do indeed include footage of “unidentified aerial phenomena,” a U.S. Navy spokesman confirmed.

And the population put their hands over their eyes and sang “ la la la”.
I was shocked by the global disinterest in this story.

Howard Is

Lucky Mud
I suspect there are all kinds of secret military craft we don't know about. Were you near a military base where they develop such things?

In the interest of full disclosure, I did meet a military engineer who claimed to have been employed in a joint US-British program to develop saucer shaped craft. He was told it was a top secret program to develop stealth craft which could operate along rivers in Vietnam.

The craft were really helicopters with contra-rotating blades, powered by Rover V8 engines, and when he was working on them (mid 1960s) they were very difficult to fly.
Of course he could have been lying, but I don’t think he was.

Jesus, I hope the MIB don’t come to my door now. I’ve already been raided at home once by ASIO, who spent some hours cataloging all of my books and reading all of my poetry and songs, and writing notes...

For the record, they were mugs. When they left, ‘bad cop’ said “You think too much son. It’s dangerous to think that much”.

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
The Melbourne incident still smacks of secret military research, and we know that some of the USA technical advances were not reported until much later. The accounts seemed to vary - three craft over one - and the additional craft (aircraft or what) were not clearly defined. No average person then would have had the slightest knowledge of what technology was capable of if truly innovative technology was being used. And we do know that there were research projects involving circular saucer-shaped vehicles - usually of the fan variety - but vectored thrust might have been developed to achieve such - as used in the Harrier jump-jet and later aircraft.

Also, what exactly do we know about false information from the military and how it might be to their advantage to present the UFO scenarios - as covers for their military research. I'm naturally skeptical because of these two factors - that advanced air vehicles have always been a priority for the military and so might misinformation as to the extent of this.

joe1776

Yes, ball lightening can have different shapes with unusual patterns around the edge.
It wasn't ball lightning. Both sightings were at dusk. The second of them was just above tree-top level over the main driving lane of a strip mall. It headed directly at me then slowly veered to my left. Before it veered off, I saw the underside of a silver metal craft glowing red, reflecting the neon lights of the stores.

On the first sighting, a neighbor called the Washington Post. She was told that they had gotten 200 calls and that it was probably a weather balloon. Weather balloons are put up at dawn and they rise straight up high in the sky.

The following day there was nothing in the Post -- not even a report that they had gotten 200 calls. Both sightings could have been authenticated by the Post by collecting the phone numbers of those callers, verifying that there was no collusion, and comparing their descriptions of the sightings.

Last edited:

joe1776

Also, what exactly do we know about false information from the military and how it might be to their advantage to present the UFO scenarios - as covers for their military research
I considered the possibility that what I saw was secret military aircraft but that possibility is much less likely than the alien-produced theory:

1. The military would have no reason to fly a secret design, at a very low level, over a heavily populated suburb of Washington D.C.

2. The flying characteristics of the craft would be a major advance over anything we have now.

3. The power source would be another major advance. From the glowing white light I saw, I suspect it was nuclear fusion which the UK has experimented with but this is an expensive project which some scientists think is a pipe dream.

4. We've been hearing reports of UFO sightings for too many years to think that the military could keep a secret that long.

Last edited:

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
I considered the possibility that what I saw was secret military aircraft but that possibility is much less likely than the alien-produced theory:

Perhaps, but are you sufficiently technical to know this? I would have hardly believed that a car could drive over water until Top Gear demonstrated this, or that certain coatings and shapes would have made an aircraft essentially invisible to radar.
1. The military would have no reason to fly a secret design over a heavily populated suburb of Washington D.C.
Who knows, there are often mistakes made or other reasons for some things not so explicable.
2. The flying characteristics of the craft would be a major advance over anything we have now.
I've seen planes stand on their tail and vanish quickly as they accelerated and also others apparently moving although stalled - something that would have been impossible decades ago. Just advances that appeared no doubt after much research.
3. The power source would be another major advance. From the glowing white light I saw, I suspect it was nuclear fusion which the UK has experimented with but this is an expensive project which some scientists think is a pipe dream.
But this is just supposition. Perhaps it was a new power source, and one that we still don't know about, so not exactly remarkable.
4. We've been hearing reports of UFO sightings for too many years to think that the military could keep a secret that long.

One could counter this with - we've had so many apparent sightings over the years with very few, if any, decent pictures of any UFOs that could definitely be placed as not being from Earth.

Last edited:

joe1776

Perhaps, but are you sufficiently technical to know this? I would have hardly believed that a car could drive over water until Top Gear demonstrated this, or that certain coatings and shapes would have made an aircraft essentially invisible to radar.
I have the only ability necessary: I can reason about probability.

Who knows, there are often mistakes made or other reasons for some things not so explicable.
You can't separate this reason from the other three I offered to judge probability.

But this is just supposition. Perhaps it was a new power source, and one that we still don't know about, so not exactly remarkable.
That perhaps it was a new, unknown power source is highly unlikely.

One could counter this with - we've had so many apparent sightings over the years with very few, if any, decent pictures of any UFOs that could definitely be placed as not being from Earth.\
We've seen UFOs tracked on radar; we've heard commercial and military pilots talk about sightings; but certainly ALL these reports including mine could be hoaxes.

But I put four reasons together to argue against the notion that the sightings are highly unlikely to be secret military aircraft. TOGETHER my reasons make that possibility unlikely.

If it was false, your most likely explanation for my report is that I'm perpetrating a hoax. Arrogant people love to deceive others.

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
I have the only ability necessary: I can reason about probability.

You can't separate this reason from the other three I offered to judge probability.

That perhaps it was a new, unknown power source is highly unlikely.

We've seen UFOs tracked on radar; we've heard commercial and military pilots talk about sightings; but certainly ALL these reports including mine could be hoaxes.

But I put four reasons together to argue against the notion that the sightings are highly unlikely to be secret military aircraft. TOGETHER my reasons make that possibility unlikely.

If it was false, your most likely explanation for my report is that I'm perpetrating a hoax. Arrogant people love to deceive others.

The last is uncalled for since I didn't imply that at all. But perhaps you are since taking offence so easily. :rolleyes:

joe1776

The last is uncalled for since I didn't imply that at all. But perhaps you are since taking offence so easily. :rolleyes:
You misunderstand. Mine is a statement of fact. Not an accusation against you at all. In your shoes, I'd have to consider that possibility.

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
You misunderstand. Mine is a statement of fact. Not an accusation against you at all. In your shoes, I'd have to consider that possibility.

OK. We'll have to leave it there. Obviously I can't know what you or others have seen or experienced.

Besides the problems with sightings, I have serious concerns about where any such UFOs come from, live, etc., given the vast distances involved, and find it hard to believe that life could exist in our galaxy when there is a nice warm place called Earth upon which to live. But each to their own I suppose, and they may just prefer cold places of whatever form. Perhaps there is some alien-made object where they live with all the comforts of home. I know this isn't necessarily a convincing answer though since they might be very different from us.

joe1776

OK. We'll have to leave it there. Obviously I can't know what you or others have seen or experienced.

Besides the problems with sightings, I have serious concerns about where any such UFOs come from, live, etc., given the vast distances involved, and find it hard to believe that life could exist in our galaxy when there is a nice warm place called Earth upon which to live. But each to their own I suppose, and they may just prefer cold places of whatever form. Perhaps there is some alien-made object where they live with all the comforts of home. I know this isn't necessarily a convincing answer though since they might be very different from us.
I don't recall the name of the book. However, years ago, the science editor of the New York Times wrote a book which essentially argued that in an infinite universe -- if intelligent life happened once, it very likely happened several times. So, it's unlikely that we are alone.

Moreover, he argued that not only is it unlikely that we are alone but unlikely that we are the most intelligent life.

EDIT: His name was Walter Sullivan. His book: We Are Not Alone

Last edited:

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
I don't recall the name of the book. However, years ago, the science editor of the New York Times wrote a book which essentially argued that in an infinite universe -- if intelligent life happened once, it very likely happened several times. So, it's unlikely that we are alone.

Moreover, he argued that not only is it unlikely that we are alone but unlikely that we are the most intelligent life.

EDIT: His name was Walter Sullivan. His book: We Are Not Alone

I have no problem with life existing elsewhere, and think it highly likely this is so, even to the extent of there being intelligent life more advanced than us possibly. I just have a problem with the likelihood of us meeting them. One thing that one might consider. If they do actually travel from distances very far away (outside of our galaxy) and perhaps using such things as wormholes or whatever, I would have thought they might have conquered invisibility (or cloaking) for their vehicles since we have almost managed this ourselves. Just seems a bit clumsy for them to be seen when they probably could avoid this or just gather all the information they need by monitoring our communications - just as the TLAs do. It just seems a mismatch of technology.