• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Truth: either God exists or He don't.

capumetu

Why do you think we would have any responsibility to God, if God exists? Most human definitions and conceptions of God have God holding all the power, and all the control. So it stands to reason that God would shoulder all the responsibility, then.

Did you have responsibility to your parents? Why?
Kinda chilly here today. Only going to get up to 77.

You poor sucker ;)

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
I fully agree with you here. What tends to happen is that people see evidence of or or are convinced of a few things in the Bible (or any other religious text) and then jump to the conclusion that there is truth here and that everything is true. How they are convinced of the rest is often through mental gymnastics and logical fallacies. The biggest problem here is that they will fall head first into the religion based on a few things they see as true, and then become trapped when they see something in their book which contradicts their beliefs or reality. I have been there myself. Not a good reason to join a religion.
I don't consider the Bible to be a single book. It's an anthology of 66 to 81 books (depending on which denomination we're talking about), most with separate authors.

No matter how accurate, say, Judges is, this would do nothing to establish that, say, the Pauline epistles are reliable.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
There is no doubt in my mind that Jehovah's way is best. When I was not a Christian I lived the satanic philosophy: "I say to you whoever smites you on the right cheek, smash him on the other, return to him fourfold, aye, a hundred fold"

Now I am living the command to do unto others as you would have them do to you, quite a difference. But you know what? Peace and happiness is a result. I like myself now, and have many more actual friends.
That was a long-winded way to not answer the question.

capumetu

And what if he doesn't? Billions of heartfelt prayers, every single day, all totally useless.

(But then, one must notice, that all those prayers don't seem to change anything anyway -- the cancers don't disappear, the abducted kids don't come home, the bank forecloses on the house, the hubby continues his affair. So really, pretty much all of the time, appearances seem to say, "nope, doesn't exist.")

Eat, drink, and be merry for the remainder of your time

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
I perceive you have a very keen sense of justice maam, however it is misplaced. You didn't say how you would have reacted to the sin of Adam, you simply accused the wrong God. If you are going to place the blame on someone, place it accurately. Jehovah said not to eat of the tree, satan said be your own god.

Correct me if i am wrong but your omni everything god created adam as well as everything else did he not? And being omni you say he created a faulty first human. To me that smacks of incompetence, not all knowing. However you are welcome to your own apologetics.

capumetu

Correct me if i am wrong but your omni everything god created adam as well as everything else did he not? And being omni you say he created a faulty first human. To me that smacks of incompetence, not all knowing. However you are welcome to your own apologetics.[/QUOTE

Then how would you have done differently?

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
Of course. In fact my lead in was:
Truth: either God exists or He don't.

More specifically: either your concept of God describes something that exists or it doesn't.

You are not understanding that Jehovah is only one concept of God: there are many others.

Have you considered the possibility that Jehovah doesn't exist, but some *other* deity does?

capumetu

More specifically: either your concept of God describes something that exists or it doesn't.

You are not understanding that Jehovah is only one concept of God: there are many others.

Have you considered the possibility that Jehovah doesn't exist, but some *other* deity does?

Of course anything that I offer is opinion. I shopped around only a small bit, logically because I live in the United States. But with my research, I have chosen Jehovah as my God.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member

I am not your god, however if i was a designer i would do my utmost to ensure my designs were adequate for the purpose

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
Of course anything that I offer is opinion. I shopped around only a small bit, logically because I live in the United States. But with my research, I have chosen Jehovah as my God.

But you realize that not everyone does? even those that believe in a God? So to simply give the dichotomy that God exists or does not exist isn't allowing for the ambiguity in the concept of 'God'?

capumetu

How many gods are there? What if you picked the wrong one? It's not a 50/50 proposition unless you have specific evidence that ONLY one god exists.

You know sir, you are perhaps much more accurate than you realize. In reality there are two real Gods, Jehovah and satan. So your 50/50 is quite correct. We believe you serve one or the other.

Wandering Monk

You know sir, you are perhaps much more accurate than you realize. In reality there are two real Gods, Jehovah and satan. So your 50/50 is quite correct. We believe you serve one or the other.

You must have missed the part where I said 'specific evidence.' But, I imagine what you and I consider evidence are different.

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
There is no doubt in my mind that Jehovah's way is best. When I was not a Christian I lived the satanic philosophy: "I say to you whoever smites you on the right cheek, smash him on the other, return to him fourfold, aye, a hundred fold"

Now I am living the command to do unto others as you would have them do to you, quite a difference. But you know what? Peace and happiness is a result. I like myself now, and have many more actual friends.
Pity. I wonder if that doesn't say something about your character? I mean, I'm an atheist, and I've never once in my life sought to get back at somebody the way that you suggest you did. And I've managed to be at peace with myself, and happy in my life. And I've always managed to like myself, too.

I guess I didn't need an excuse to be a good person.

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
Did you have responsibility to your parents? Why?

When I was young, my parents (actually, grandparents) had responsibility to me to teach, feed, and keep me healthy. That is the role parents play in many mammalian species.

Do I have responsibility to my parents otherwise? That solely depends on whether I *want* to accept responsibility to them in some way. If they did their duty correctly, I would probably *want* to help them out in their old age.