• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Trump Paid 25%, Obama 19%, and Bernie Paid 13%

whirlingmerc

Report: Trump’s 2005 Taxes Revealed

Twitter Just SHREDDED Rachel Maddow Over Trump Tax Return 'Story'

URLs really say it all, but I expected as much. I bet Hillary didn't pay a damn dime. :D

Would be interesting to know how much of their own money they gave away to charities, meaning other than themselves.

It's hard to compare their situations in a fair way since they are so different but all the above are considerabley more affluent than the average taxpayer. Seems all four are atypical according to this chart:

A chart of typical rates is here The Average American Pays This Much in Income Taxes -- How Do You Compare? -- The Motley Fool

Last edited:

Underhill

Of course there is more to the story. As a senator Bernie spends much of his time on the road. So he had a lot of write offs on his 205k salary.

Trump made millions in the same period and still paid less than most of us who work for a living.

I'm not sure what exactly is expected here. Because Bernie believes in higher taxes for the wealthy he should just write a check for more? That's silly.

And I don't know what it has to do with Obama. He's never been big on taxing the rich like more liberal democrats.

Quetzal

A little to the left and slightly out of focus.
Premium Member
I'm not sure what exactly is expected here. Because Bernie believes in higher taxes for the wealthy he should just write a check for more? That's silly.

And I don't know what it has to do with Obama. He's never been big on taxing the rich like more liberal democrats.
I don't either. I think some from the right want to take the W and spin it in a way to legitimize things that are unrelated.

Kapalika

Premium Member
Bernie makes substantially less than them which is probably why he paid less.

And I know that people made a huge fuss about him having three houses last year but what every story seems to neglect to mention is that they inherited one house and that they had it while in the process of selling it to buy one closer to home. Add to that everyone made a big deal about their cost but the cost of all the houses were well within the range of the average cost of a home in the U.S. At any rate Sanders is the poorest Congressmen largely by choice. So get this, they basically inherited a second house from one of his wife's relatives. The third house only came into the equation because they were selling the second one, leaving them at only having two houses again *after* a house-worth being an inheritance left to his wife. That's hardly scandalous.

Sanders isn't against people having nicer things he is just against people being disgustingly rich and for people having all the necessities for a healthy life. It would be actually shocking if he was just as rich as Trump and Clinton, it's not that he makes much much less than them and isn't even in the high class like they are. He doesn't own any mansions or fancy jets or helicopters.

Also added to what someone else said, Sanders probably gives a lot away to charities and so that's why the number is lower. Also keep in mind that someone's income tax is NOT a good measurement of how much taxes they pay overall since Trump is likely to get away from a lot of taxes through business loopholes and so it isn't technically "his" money even though it is.

Again back to Sanders, I find it funny how people keep trying to discredit him when he's consistently held the same views and went to protests for literally decades. He's literally the most honest nationwide-known politician alive today and I don't see how anyone can top him in that respect.

Quetzal

A little to the left and slightly out of focus.
Premium Member
How is it misleading?
He is comparing taxes from different tax brackets from different individuals with different deductions. I am willing to (and already have) concede the fact that the left has some egg on it's face from this fiasco. But to try to rope Bernie and Obama into it is silly and fruitless.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
He is comparing taxes from different tax brackets from different individuals with different deductions. I am willing to (and already have) concede the fact that the left has some egg on it's face from this fiasco. But to try to rope Bernie and Obama into it is silly and fruitless.
I don't find it misleading.
If accurate, such figures would be expected.
The problem is discomfort with inferences, both correct & otherwise.

Falvlun

Earthbending Lemur
Premium Member
Rachel Maddow really screwed herself and those who want Trump's taxes released with this story.

Whether Trump payed taxes or not is about the larger argument of what's fair for super rich people to pay in taxes.
This is pretty much all the 2005 info contained, and the info doesn't look bad for Trump. It's even likely that Trump's team themselves leaked this info.

The real issue with Trump's tax returns is about him, personally. The tax returns are needed to gain info on his business holdings, any foreign sources of income, as well as a comprehensive picture of tax laws that benefit him, all things which can affect Trump's ability to impartially govern the country.
And the 2005 info we have tells us nothing about this. But people will use that info to discredit the "release your taxes" contingent by pointing to it and saying "see? Nothing here!"

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I explained my position already.
You think people are led astray by not pointing out that income tax is progressive?
It only possibly misleads people who are woefully unaware of basics of the tax code.
But even then, the tax rates are what they are, & these dullards would be discovering reality....
....perhaps a reality they don't like, ie, that Trump really does pay more than they were told,
thereby deflating a balloon they depend upon to keep him demonized.

If anything, the tax rates shouldn't hide the Social Security tax aspect of taxation, which wasn't
addressed in the proffered numbers.