• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Trump Paid 25%, Obama 19%, and Bernie Paid 13%

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
You missed the point, but that's okay. It wasn't that ground breaking anyway.
I miss so much.
Tis good that you're tolerant.

Taxation & effects are very complicated.
People who just earn a wage seldom glimpse even the tip of this iceberg.
I don't have a good feel for how they interpret what they see.
But I suspect that they found great comfort & joy in Hillary's making hay
at her prediction that Trump pays no tax. What a loss they must now feel, eh.

Last edited:

Quetzal

A little to the left and slightly out of focus.
Premium Member
I miss so much.
Tis good that you're tolerant.
It's fine, the main protest from me (being a Bernie supporter) is the false equivalency by comparing his tax percentage in the title as lower than Trump's. My discomfort isn't because it may not be true. My problem is that the comparison serves no purpose but to attempt to bring down Bernie in addition to pushing Trump up. The numbers make sense, I just bring the OP's tone and inferences into question, not the post itself.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
It's fine, the main protest from me (being a Bernie supporter) is the false equivalency by comparing his tax percentage in the title as lower than Trump's.
This is not a false equivalency fallacy.
It's 2 pieces of info without any argument presented.
Bernie pays a lower percentage of income in tax.
This is to be expected, given his lower bracket.
My discomfort isn't because it may not be true. My problem is that the comparison serves no purpose but to attempt to bring down Bernie in addition to pushing Trump up. The numbers make sense, I just bring the OP's tone and inferences into question, not the post itself.
Your error is in assuming the motive of bringing down Bernie.
While that's possible, you don't know it.
A more likely motive is to embiggen Trump in the eyes of those who want him to pay a lot of income tax.
What's a Hillary voter to do when discovering that she mislead them into belief that he paid no tax?
Attack the bringer of bad tidings, of course!

Quetzal

A little to the left and slightly out of focus.
Premium Member
Your error is in assuming the motive of bringing down Bernie.
While that's possible, you don't know it.
A more likely motive is to embiggen Trump in the eyes of those who want him to pay a lot of income tax.
That is another alternative. Although, back to Trump's taxes for a sec, I think we can all agree this whole click bait with the taxes blew back pretty hard on MSNBC. Even as a leftie, I did find a bit a pleasure in that.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
That is another alternative. Although, back to Trump's taxes for a sec, I think we can all agree this whole click bait with the taxes blew back pretty hard on MSNBC. Even as a leftie, I did find a bit a pleasure in that.
You are wicked little.....uh....just what are you?

jonathan180iq

Tax rates are one thing...But I don't see how it's a win for anyone, really.

We're talking about 2 pages from a 12 year-old tax return that, to this day, has still not been willfully released to the public. This release proves that he paid taxes 12 years ago...

And?

There is absolutely nothing of substance aside from that. If he's the champion of the system and the average American that he claims to be, why not show us the rest of the document? Why not show us the last 12 years? Why not substantiate what you claim and shove it as far down the Democrat's throats as possible?

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Again back to Sanders, I find it funny how people keep trying to discredit him when he's consistently held the same views and went to protests for literally decades. He's literally the most honest nationwide-known politician alive today and I don't see how anyone can top him in that respect.
Not too many others can also say they have been arrested for civil rights.

Falvlun

Earthbending Lemur
Premium Member
This doesn't address the "misleading" claim.
Facts, out of context, can be misleading, especially when it is known that most people have a poor grasp on how taxes work.
What's a Hillary voter to do when discovering that she mislead them into belief that he paid no tax?
Trump himself chose to encourage such claims. Did you forget that not paying taxes makes him smart?

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Facts, out of context, can be misleading, especially when it is known that most people have a poor grasp on how taxes work.
It appears that "misleading" is a desperate attempt to dismiss disturbing info.
What do those numbers mean to you?
Trump himself chose to encourage such claims. Did you forget that not paying taxes makes him smart?
I remember Trump's statement, but I didn't take it literally.
I inferred that avoiding taxes is simply the normal & smart thing to do.

Falvlun

Earthbending Lemur
Premium Member
It appears that "misleading" is a desperate attempt to dismiss disturbing info.
What do those numbers mean to you?
That's just it: the numbers aren't disturbing. That's precisely the incorrect inference such a headline is hoping to get.

I remember Trump's statement, but I didn't take it literally.
I inferred that avoiding taxes is simply the normal & smart thing to do.
Ah, yes. I forgot: Trump isn't to be taken literally, whenever it's inconvenient.

But note: he didn't say "that would make me smart." He said "that makes me smart". There was absolutely no rebuttal of the concept that he doesn't pay taxes; he welcomed it. You can't pin this misconception merely upon Hilary's questioning.

leibowde84

Veteran Member
Report: Trump’s 2005 Taxes Revealed

Twitter Just SHREDDED Rachel Maddow Over Trump Tax Return 'Story'

URLs really say it all, but I expected as much. I bet Hillary didn't pay a damn dime. :D
We still have no idea what Trump paid in taxes in the past decade, as he refuses to release any tax returns.

It seems pretty obvious that Trump released his 2 page 2005 tax return himself. It was a peak earning year for him (before the recession), and he actually paid substantial taxes.

Let's see his 2015 tax returns. Nobody cares about his 2005 returns. This is barely news at all.

As for Hillary, she paid a lot more than Trump.

"In 2015, Clinton paid a federal tax rate of 34.2% and a New York state rate of 9% for a total effective tax rate of 43.2%. Her tax rate has been above 40% every year since she left the state department in 2013."
Here's How Much Hillary Clinton Paid in Taxes Last Year

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
We still have no idea what Trump paid in taxes in the past decade, as he refuses to release any tax returns.

It seems pretty obvious that Trump released his 2 page 2005 tax return himself. It was a peak earning year for him (before the recession), and he actually paid substantial taxes.

Let's see his 2015 tax returns. Nobody cares about his 2005 returns. This is barely news at all.

As for Hillary, she paid a lot more than Trump.

"In 2015, Clinton paid a federal tax rate of 34.2% and a New York state rate of 9% for a total effective tax rate of 43.2%. Her tax rate has been above 40% every year since she left the state department in 2013."
Here's How Much Hillary Clinton Paid in Taxes Last Year
I suspect the Time article is incorrect in calculating Hillary's tax rate.
State taxes are a deductable expense regarding fed taxes.
One cannot simply add state & fed tax rates together to determine the total rate.
This is shown by calculating the total rate from the figures provided in the same article.

Last edited:

leibowde84

Veteran Member
One cannot simply add state & fed tax rates together to determine the total rate.
That's not true in every state. In MD, for example, I have to pay state taxes on top of federal taxes. I"m pretty sure it's the same way in NY.

leibowde84

Veteran Member
Either way, it's pretty clear that Hillary paid a higher federal tax rate than Trump, probably every year.