• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Trump Announces Change in Religious Affiliation

Left Coast

This Is Water
Staff member
Premium Member
One week before the national election, Trump has announced a change in his religious affiliation. He no longer considers himself a Presbyterian, but rather a "non-denominational Christian."

Presbyterianism is a mainline Protestant denomination and is more liberal these days than the typical conservative church, complete with female pastors and gay marriages. Many Evangelicals, by contrast, identify as "non-denominational."

Should we believe this is anything more than political pandering to Trump's right-wing Evangelical base?

President Trump's Q&A with Religion News Service | The White House

Vouthon

Dominus Deus tuus ignis consumens est
Staff member
Premium Member
Should we believe this is anything more than political pandering to Trump's right-wing Evangelical base?

Nah, Trump is not a man of principle - whether of religious convictions or otherwise.

This is naked political opportunism, masquerading as a change of confessional identity. How convenient that he does it mere days before the election :rolleyes:

Most sincere spiritual conversion since St. Paul on the Dasmascus road - I do declare!

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member
One week before the national election, Trump has announced a change in his religious affiliation. He no longer considers himself a Presbyterian, but rather a "non-denominational Christian."

Presbyterianism is a mainline Protestant denomination and is more liberal these days than the typical conservative church, complete with female pastors and gay marriages. Many Evangelicals, by contrast, identify as "non-denominational."

Wait, Trump is a Christian? Is this in the jokes section?

Hey wait, tell him if he declares himself an Atheist, he'll win the election! Tell him there's millions and millions of atheist supporters who'd vote for him if he announces that.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Why religion is such a factor and issue is a head scratcher.

A politician should make decisions that may not reflect ones faith lest one is accused of using their religion in politics. Its essentially a qualification for making decisions not influenced by personal religious beliefs.

Yet, when one does make such antithetical decisions, they are accused of not following their religion and subsequently chided for it.

exchemist

Veteran Member

Just a gimmick to ingratiate himself with the Religious Right and, most importantly, to get himself in the news again for something other than his gross negligence during the pandemic.

But there is more than a whiff of desperation about it. Is that really his best shot at this stage?

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Okay. I don't accept it. Agree to disagree, I suppose.
BS. I doubt you have any reason to say that. Read the article. This is a sincere human being. Donald has not one fiber of integrity in his body, and lacks anything resembling a human soul, as he is incapable of human empathy. Biden feels others pain.

Last edited:

Left Coast

This Is Water
Staff member
Premium Member
Why religion is such a factor and issue is a head scratcher.

A politician should make decisions that may not reflect ones faith lest one is accused of using their religion in politics. Its essentially a qualification for making decisions not influenced by personal religious beliefs.

Yet, when one does make such antithetical decisions, they are accused of not following their religion and subsequently chided for it.

On the Right, using your religion to shape your politics is considered a virtue. Sadly, those who do so usually cherry pick which parts of their religion they utilize to shape their politics - thus get criticized for hypocrisy.

Ideally, as you suggested, religion would be irrelevant to politics. Sadly, we're still in a place where many Americans would never vote for a President if they were an atheist.

Left Coast

This Is Water
Staff member
Premium Member
BS. I doubt you have any reason to say that. Read the article. This is a sincere human being. Donald has not one fiber of integrity in his body, and lacks anything resembling a human soul, as he is incapable of human empathy.

In fairness, I don't think any of us have anything resembling a human soul. But that's another topic. :p

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member
In fairness, I don't think any of us have anything resembling a human soul. But that's another topic. :p
Very well then. Let's say what the word soul represents then, one's depth of love for life, for the world, and for others, is nonexistent in Donald, whereas in Biden, it's abundantly formed. :)

Harel13

Am Yisrael Chai
Staff member
Premium Member
I doubt you have any reason to say that. Read the article. This is a sincere human being. Donald has not one fiber of integrity in his body, and lacks anything resembling a human soul, as he is incapable of human empathy. Biden feels others pain.
Pffffffffffff.

And let's not get into all of ol' Joe's many, many character flaws.

Harel13

Am Yisrael Chai
Staff member
Premium Member
Probably best we shouldn't get into the details. For my blood pressure, ya know. If you think that's a joke, I do in fact get very angry when I think about Biden's character with contrast to the amount of approval ratings he gets from his base.