• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Trump Announces Change in Religious Affiliation

Left Coast

This Is Water
Staff member
Premium Member
I would think it varies by location.

giphy.gif

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
One week before the national election, Trump has announced a change in his religious affiliation. He no longer considers himself a Presbyterian, but rather a "non-denominational Christian."

Presbyterianism is a mainline Protestant denomination and is more liberal these days than the typical conservative church, complete with female pastors and gay marriages. Many Evangelicals, by contrast, identify as "non-denominational."

Should we believe this is anything more than political pandering to Trump's right-wing Evangelical base?

President Trump's Q&A with Religion News Service | The White House
Well, we know for sure that he has had a Bible in his hand at least twice -- the inauguration, and that silly photo-op outside the church in Washington.

I will bet dollars to donuts, however, that he hasn't the least freakin' clue what's in the thing. I do know for an absolute certainty that this atheist has much more familiarity with that book than Trump ever will.

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
Okay. I don't accept it. Agree to disagree, I suppose.
I've never seen a scintilla of evidence to suggest that Biden's faith is neither real nor important to him. If you have, I think you ought to post it. It is always better, if you have an opinion about something, to provide your reasons. It makes you more credible.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
we all have character flaws. I'm more concerned about a lack of human empathy in our current POTUS, especially during a pandemic. That's more than a reasonable expectation. Joe knows how to have true empathy. It shows. For a leader right now, that's what's needed most. One who understand loss. Donald can't understand that, as he is a broken child.

The ability to be empathetic is a remarkable trait, and nearly all people have it. There is one premier here in Canada that I used to practically despise, for his policies, and attitude. But when covid hit, he became so empathetic, practically crying while making announcements, and pleading with people to follow protocol, that I entirely changed my opinion on him, the man. I would still disagree with his policies, but in these times most folks just set that aside for the greater good, like in wartime. Many other places have seen one-side elections for the incumbent just because of this one factor alone.

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
The ability to be empathetic is a remarkable trait, and nearly all people have it. There is one premier here in Canada that I used to practically despise, for his policies, and attitude. But when covid hit, he became so empathetic, practically crying while making announcements, and pleading with people to follow protocol, that I entirely changed my opinion on him, the man. I would still disagree with his policies, but in these times most folks just set that aside for the greater good, like in wartime. Many other places have seen one-side elections for the incumbent just because of this one factor alone.
Agree (I assume you're talking Ontario). I was opposed, I have a bit of a problem with the newest restrictions, but overall, I've had to give him a lot more credit than I did before. It's important to give credit where credit is due -- otherwise, we're just dishonest.

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
Why religion is such a factor and issue is a head scratcher.
No, it's not. You damn well know that it's a huge *** deal with the vast majority of U.S. conservatives. Why else would they obsess over squashing LGBT rights, women's rights, the establishment clause of the first amendment, and scientific literacy?

Last edited:

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
One week before the national election, Trump has announced a change in his religious affiliation. He no longer considers himself a Presbyterian, but rather a "non-denominational Christian."

Presbyterianism is a mainline Protestant denomination and is more liberal these days than the typical conservative church, complete with female pastors and gay marriages. Many Evangelicals, by contrast, identify as "non-denominational."

Should we believe this is anything more than political pandering to Trump's right-wing Evangelical base?

President Trump's Q&A with Religion News Service | The White House

Only a buffoon would belive he was a serious christian of any kind, regardless of denomination.
The same could be said of his supporters, considering that much of the right's platform and policies are the antithesis of Christ's teachings and examples.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Agree (I assume you're talking Ontario). I was opposed, I have a bit of a problem with the newest restrictions, but overall, I've had to give him a lot more credit than I did before. It's important to give credit where credit is due -- otherwise, we're just dishonest.
You guessed right. Our guy here (Alberta) is just the opposite. He's cutting jobs from health care and making enemies as we speak. Two days ago some health care workers had a wildcat strike. They are incredibly frustrated, and he acts like the POTUS ... indifferent, political, and nuts, with tons of controversy all around. Meanwhile, your guy is making friends.

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
Oh no. Now that gives Trump the authority to handle snakes.
Please keep in mind that the original manuscripts ends at Mark 16:8 ( No snake handling )
For one, King James added the verses 8 to 20.
The style of writing changes after verse 8.
There are No corresponding cross-reference verses as there is with the the rest of Mark up to 16:8.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Probably best we shouldn't get into the details. For my blood pressure, ya know. If you think that's a joke, I do in fact get very angry when I think about Biden's character with contrast to the amount of approval ratings he gets from his base.
The history of Christianity is basically summed up as hypocrisy. But that generally doesn't get people questioning and doubting their faith. The louder a Christian proclaims their faith, often times the worse their character. Christians can be such "great" people with their intrusiveness, prejudice, and hate I moved to get away from them. Now I live in one of the most "post Christian" places in America according to a church study looking at not just religious identity but behaviors as well. And life has improved greatly because I got away from the Christians who won't mind their own business and will go out of their way to point fingers and condemn people who are different and who don't fit in with them.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Well, we know for sure that he has had a Bible in his hand at least twice -- the inauguration, and that silly photo-op outside the church in Washington.

I will bet dollars to donuts, however, that he hasn't the least freakin' clue what's in the thing. I do know for an absolute certainty that this atheist has much more familiarity with that book than Trump ever will.
Oh, oh! He knows it has a "two Corinthians."

Harel13

Am Yisrael Chai
Staff member
Premium Member
I've never seen a scintilla of evidence to suggest that Biden's faith is neither real nor important to him.
Obviously you can never prove what's in one's heart. However, he certainly doesn't act as though any key Christian ideas are important to him. Guess his shoulder devil is just too strong, too convincing.

It'll take some time, but I'll gather some evidence for you to make the case.