• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Trump and Melania have Covid

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Setting aside the fact that Trump can't be trusted, can you think of a reason that he might have for lying?
I just touched on that:

I think it's plausible that he could try to spin this if he ends up not having severe symptoms - or if he's lying - to either portray himself as a tough guy, or to argue that COVID-19 isn't that big a deal (and therefore that his crappy response to COVID-19 isn't a huge blunder that didn't cost countless lives).

I also wouldn't put it past him to have done it because he simply doesn't want to put in the work of campaigning when he thinks he's going to lose, like a child who pretends to be sick to get out of a test.

Also, considering what this announcement has (predictably) done to the markets, someone who knew what Trump would be tweeting ahead of time could have stood to make a lot of money off that knowledge.

joe1776

I just touched on that:.
I saw your post after posting mine. Thanks for the reply.

I considered the possibility that he might not want to do two more debates and then lose badly without an excuse. It sounds weak but then I find it hard to think like Trump.

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
I see your commentary is still as thoughtful amd insightful as ever.
As I write this ...

15869 / 57842 = 0.27435 <-- you
12910 / 39085 = 0.33030 <-- me​

But, given ...

A deity manufactured from the pareidolia of the credulous.
Enh. People tend to have Gods that agree with them, and schadenfreude is a pretty normal reaction to hearing about the misfortune of an awful person.

you, like Trump, clearly have the best biggest words.

Last edited:

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
I'm excited to see the implications of the election tbh, if anyone knows any links to really knowledgeable political commentaries or experts weighing in. Still very breaking but still
Well, Boris Johnson got a boost from feelings of sympathy when he got ill. Could happen here, too.

And if he winds up non-symptomatic, he'll get to claim, "see, I told you it's nothing!"

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Yes. Of course.

In what way is it fishy?

I think it's entirely possible that Trump really has COVID-19. I think it's also entirely possible that he's lying. We probably won't be able to say for sure that he's telling the truth unless it's confirmed by an independent doctor or if he ends up on a ventilator.

In the meantime, I think I'll take my lead from how other world leaders respond. An ill American president is a potential worldwide crisis; hopefully other countries will have intelligence on whether this is real or fake.

I just think it's too convenient for him to all of the sudden become sick. That. It sounds too convenient that he, out of all people who were tested negative, would catch it. I don't trust media.

It's just too convenient. I doubt he "and" his wife has it. It just sounds like you guys want the guy dead. Maybe another means of assassination, come to think of it.

It needs to be confirmed by doctor. All illnesses should be confirmed by doctors (not just one doctor) no matter what that illness is and how it spreads etc. It's always good to have second and third opinions-and of course-it has to be more than coughs and germs.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
I just think it's too convenient for him to all of the sudden become sick. That. It sounds too convenient that he, out of all people who were tested negative, would catch it. I don't trust media.
I don't see what testing negative in the past has to do with anything. I mean, NFL players are tested all the time too, but this still happened:

https://www.cbc.ca/sports/football/nfl/nfl-coronavirus-postponement-titans-steelers-1.5744567

It's just too convenient. I doubt he "and" his wife has it.
Why?

It just sounds like you guys want the guy dead. Maybe another means of assassination, come to think of it.
For me, it's not really that I want him dead, but I wouldn't shed a tear if he died.

It would be better if he were utterly trounced in an election, but if it's human life we're worried about, considering the tremendous death toll he has while alive, his death would probably save countless lives.

It needs to be confirmed by doctor. All illnesses should be confirmed by doctors (not just one doctor) no matter what that illness is and how it spreads etc. It's always good to have second and third opinions-and of course-it has to be more than coughs and germs.
The White House physician has put out a statement, but I agree: I can't be sure that he has it - or that he's lying - until there's corroboration.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
The theological interpretations of this will vary by the gods one honors. For polytheists, there are many gods, including gods that are considered adversarial to humans. Bringers of diseases, bringers of war, and so forth. Anyone coming down with an illness has been favored by gods of disease and is now an agent of such gods. Being a channel for adversarial gods is not exactly something this person is unfamiliar with.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
I don't see what testing negative in the past has to do with anything. I mean, NFL players are tested all the time too, but this still happened:

https://www.cbc.ca/sports/football/nfl/nfl-coronavirus-postponement-titans-steelers-1.5744567

Why?

For me, it's not really that I want him dead, but I wouldn't shed a tear if he died.

It would be better if he were utterly trounced in an election, but if it's human life we're worried about, considering the tremendous death toll he has while alive, his death would probably save countless lives.

The White House physician has put out a statement, but I agree: I can't be sure that he has it - or that he's lying - until there's corroboration.

They tested everyone that attended the debate. Chris said it beforehand. I watched it on CBS. They had some comments before the debate itself.

So, it's mighty fishy that he and his wife would be tested positive. Sounds more like they want to "kill him" before the election not just an out of the blue infection.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member

Why?

Since I don't know the guy personally, I'd probably be upset for a second someone died. Has nothing to do with his politics but just the loss of human life. I don't feel he should be president at all but I wouldn't hold his politics to determine whether I should have empathy for him. That just sounds inhumane.

I'm more game that he's lying. I wouldn't use COVID though. People are sensitive with it insofar they'd crucify him for that alone.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member

Illnesses should have a series of tests. Since it's still new I wouldn't be surprised if only a handful of symptoms would diagnose someone. I think later on wed be more skeptical of symptoms but for now, every other person can be considered a case.

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
Mask or no mask. Everybody will eventually get it at some point.

All the mask accomplishes is putting off the inevitable.
Time will tell, and hardly matters if those at risk get a proper vaccine, but until then they are still at risk of dying. Such that doing all the necessary things to avoid being contaminated is the sensible thing - which trump failed at.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member

We are all at risk of catching viruses by virtue of being human. Unless it's a plague or gas, I'm really indifferent to it if going by situation and other factors that put one at more or less risk themselves.

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member

That is not accurate at all. If a vaccine that provides immunity for some period of time becomes available, then those who take that vaccine will develop antibodies WITHOUT getting COVID-19.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member

Getting exposed to COVID-19 eventually may be inevitable, but things that aren't inevitable:

- getting the viral load typically associated with the worst outcomes.
- getting infected when your local hospital has already run out of ICU beds.
- getting exposed before a vaccine is available.

That's what masks are for.