• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

True religion

Muslim-UK

Premium Member
Does Islam consider itself to be the only true religion?
No, as GOD says those people of the book, Jews and Christians who follow the guidance and commandments given, worshipping God alone will have success.

Verily, those who have attained to faith [in this divine writ], as well as those who follow the Jewish faith, and the Christians, and the Sabians - all who believe in God and the Last Day and do righteous deeds-shall have their reward with their Sustainer; and no fear need they have, and neither shall they grieve. Qur'an 2:62

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
No, as GOD says those people of the book, Jews and Christians who follow the guidance and commandments given, worshipping God alone will have success.

Verily, those who have attained to faith [in this divine writ], as well as those who follow the Jewish faith, and the Christians, and the Sabians - all who believe in God and the Last Day and do righteous deeds-shall have their reward with their Sustainer; and no fear need they have, and neither shall they grieve. Qur'an 2:62

Well, ah . . . yes Islam considers itself the one true religion, and defines who is potentially saved and who is not. This is true concerning the attitude of Islam to my own religion the Baha'i Faith, which it considers a heresy, and being a Baha'i is punishable by death or at a minimum imprisonment. Any religion that makes the specific judgment as to who is saved and who is not believes it is the one and only true religion.

Muslim-UK

Premium Member
Well, ah . . . yes Islam considers itself the one true religion, and defines who is potentially saved and who is not. This is true concerning the attitude of Islam to my own religion the Baha'i Faith, which it considers a heresy, and being a Baha'i is punishable by death or at a minimum imprisonment. Any religion that makes the specific judgment as to who is saved and who is not believes it is the one and only true religion.
I personally believe, anyone who submits their will to GOD, worships Him alone without ANY partners will have no fear on their return to Him.

No one should face persecution for their beliefs, and I'm sorry to hear that's the case with your faith.

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
I personally believe, anyone who submits their will to GOD, worships Him alone without ANY partners will have no fear on their return to Him.

No one should face persecution for their beliefs, and I'm sorry to hear that's the case with your faith.

As far as the nature of religions I cannot go with 'personally,' because regardless of one's professed religions affiliation they could claim to believe many contradictory things.

Last edited:

Ponder This

False, scientists are NOT obsessed with 'truth(?).' Actually by far the majority, including myself, are more involved with their own specialty, and publishing articles instead convincing others, as I was. They are more looking for acceptance of others in their own specialty especially those that review their articles for publishing. Actually they are obsessed(?) with the falsification of theories and hypothesis in their research based on the objective verifiable evidence.

I'm sorry. I didn't realize that you actually don't care if your science is the true science instead of something you made up. But it doesn't change that there are scientists that are concerned with correct science.

Getting upset by pseudo-science is indeed justified, and fairly easy to determine, because of the lack of legitimate peer reviewed objective falsification of the claims in pseudo-science. A common tactic of pseudo-science is the 'argument from ignorance' when they assert some things that are not known justify unknown beliefs not supported by any evidence,

If they are upset, then we have to ask... why? Why can't we accept that one person has his science and another person has his? ... because there is only one true science. Methods that don't conform with the accepted way of doing science are rejected. It doesn't matter if they call themselves science.

The problems with pseudo-religion is different than with pseudo-science. With religion pseudo-religion is the other beliefs that do not conform to one's own beliefs, and is highly subjective and anecdotal judgment of 'other' beliefs that are different.'

You act as if religious people aren't concerned about radical religious cults.
But people are concerned about radical religious cults. They are concerned that these cults are advocating false religion. I don't deny that conformity plays a role. I'm pointing out that when people have a belief that something is true (religion or science), it's very important to them that other people believe that it is true.

Personally, as with almost all scientists are not interested in 'truth,' we are interested in falsifiable knowledge, My view for philosophy and religion outside the objective physical reality is unknowable concerning claims of truth, and many people claim many different and conflicting claims of 'truth.'

Perhaps, you publish papers and never give a second thought about whether anyone else believes you did actual science. But peer-reviewed journals are very much interested in what constitutes true science and what constitutes pseudo-science. Professors in universities can be quite adamant about what is and is not acceptable. What is true does matter to a lot of people. Do you really deny this? Are you really willing to say the scientific method is just your particular way of looking at things? And that it really doesn't matter if no one else believes in the scientific method? Well good for you... There are some people who don't agonize too much over the truth of religions either. It's all highly subjective and anecdotal anyways, right? It's not like basis of a person's religious beliefs (which maybe also just so happen to be the foundation upon which he lives his life) are important in any way, eh? It's all about as important as some random guy's PhD thesis.:rolleyes:

QuestioningMind

Why do other religions view themselves as the only true religions?

And on top of that why do they make such a big deal out of it feeling an endless need to convince others of their truth?

It seems pretty obvious to me that the reason some religious people are so desperate to convince others of their truth is because in reality they have extremely weak faith.

siti

And on top of that why do they make such a big deal out of it feeling an endless need to convince others of their truth?
How interesting that you chose to ask why "other" religions have that view. Presumably the implication is that your religion (being the true one of course) would not fall into that trap.And maybe that answers you own question, but if we are looking for a deeper cause, I think it boils down to immaturity and insecurity. It takes a great deal more maturity and boldness to admit that we don't have "the truth" than to suppose that we do.

Last edited:

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member

They don't always, or even all that frequently. That is one reason why syncretism is so frequent.

Among the reasons why it often looks that way, many are sociological in nature. Religion is a human and social activity, and gathering prestige and support for its activities is often easier when the competition is discredited.

There is also the fact that on its most basic levels religion often aims to reassure people that they are on the correct path despite the existence of so many others. Many people simply don't understand that truth for religion is not supposed to work that way.

A frequent reason is plain inability to deal with different beliefs. It happens a lot with people who have become reliant on ideas such as rapture or reincarnation.

Subtler reasons include a lack of desire to deal with people who employ noticeably different values and vocabulary. Familiarity is a source of tranquility, and lack of that familiarity can cause disquiet. That is particularly noticeable among people who are close family and have to interact often with each other.

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
I'm sorry. I didn't realize that you actually don't care if your science is the true science instead of something you made up. But it doesn't change that there are scientists that are concerned with correct science.

It is apparent here that you do not understand what I wrote, science, and the philosophy of science. This response is at best bizzaro, and does not reflect anything I write, nor reflects the work of scientists.

If they are upset, then we have to ask... why? Why can't we accept that one person has his science and another person has his? ... because there is only one true science. Methods that don't conform with the accepted way of doing science are rejected. It doesn't matter if they call themselves science.

You act as if religious people aren't concerned about radical religious cults.

But people are concerned about radical religious cults. They are concerned that these cults are advocating false religion. I don't deny that conformity plays a role. I'm pointing out that when people have a belief that something is true (religion or science), it's very important to them that other people believe that it is true.

Perhaps, you publish papers and never give a second thought about whether anyone else believes you did actual science. But peer-reviewed journals are very much interested in what constitutes true science and what constitutes pseudo-science. Professors in universities can be quite adamant about what is and is not acceptable. What is true does matter to a lot of people. Do you really deny this? Are you really willing to say the scientific method is just your particular way of looking at things? And that it really doesn't matter if no one else believes in the scientific method? Well good for you... There are some people who don't agonize too much over the truth of religions either. It's all highly subjective and anecdotal anyways, right? It's not like basis of a person's religious beliefs (which maybe also just so happen to be the foundation upon which he lives his life) are important in any way, eh? It's all about as important as some random guy's PhD thesis.:rolleyes:

It is impossible for me to respond to this. It is not a coherent post concerning what I wrote and the nature of science.

What you propose is some sort anarchistic alchemy.

Akivah

Nice. That means that Islam wouldn't want to convert Christians or Jews to Islam since you state that we are already worshipping God.

Muslim-UK

Premium Member
Nice. That means that Islam wouldn't want to convert Christians or Jews to Islam since you state that we are already worshipping God.

Is there anywhere in your Torah which says, your religion is Judaism?
Do you obey God as instructed in the Torah, following his instructions to obey the Prophets he would send after Moses pbuh?

Akivah

Do you obey God as instructed in the Torah, following his instructions to obey the Prophets he would send after Moses pbuh?
Oh, I knew that you really believe that Islam is the only true religion. now I see your game. When you posted "Verily, those who have attained to faith [in this divine writ], as well as those who follow the Jewish faith, and the Christians, and the Sabians - all who believe in God and the Last Day and do righteous deeds-shall have their reward with their Sustainer; and no fear need they have, and neither shall they grieve. Qur'an 2:62" what you believe is that neither Jews nor Christians truly follow their own faith.

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member

This interesting it is obvious that all Jews reject both Jesus and Muhammad as prophets or Messiahs, and of course Christians reject Muhammad.

Would you obey Baha'u'llah, the prophet Messiah after Muhammad? I doubt it.