• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

True religion

Elliott

Why do other religions view themselves as the only true religions?

And on top of that why do they make such a big deal out of it feeling an endless need to convince others of their truth?

Jedster

And on top of that why do they make such a big deal out of it feeling an endless need to convince others of their truth?

I have never experienced that from most of the Dharmic religions or from Pagans..

I think only the fear-based religions do that( and Lubuvitchers :) ).

Jedster

While I would agree that the Orthodox do consider themselves the only legitimate halachic Jews, I've not seen Chabadniks wanting to convert everyone to Judaism.
I was referring to them approaching people on the street(usually Jews) and harassing them to be religious. Orthodox, in general, don't do this.

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
I was referring to them approaching people on the street(usually Jews) and harassing them to be religious. Orthodox, in general, don't do this.
Oh that. To be fair I never really saw this as a problem; they have the right to do so and they are only wanting other Jews. The whole aim of Chabad, in one regard, is to missionise other Jews. I can kind of understand it, considering the Jewish people are such a small peoplegroup that is rapidly intermarrying, their numbers are going to decline pretty fast. Since halachic Jews don't intermarry, this is a plus for them.

Well, that's just my opinion though.

Jedster

Oh that. To be fair I never really saw this as a problem; they have the right to do so and they are only wanting other Jews. The whole aim of Chabad, in one regard, is to missionise other Jews. I can kind of understand it, considering the Jewish people are such a small peoplegroup that is rapidly intermarrying, their numbers are going to decline pretty fast. Since halachic Jews don't intermarry, this is a plus for them.

Well, that's just my opinion though.
I agree they do alot of good works, amongst Jews and non-Jews(in the USA).
Here is an example of what I object to.
The last time I encountered them (in Golders Green), I had 3 of them shouting at me to lay Tephillin . This was after explaining that I don't practice Judaism.

Enoch07

It's all a sick freaking joke.
Premium Member

For some people religion makes them happy, so they want to spread that joy in hopes others can experience that joy as well.

Some people want to force it down others throats because it gives them a (false) sense of accomplishment.

That's pretty much all there is to it.

The_Fisher_King

Trying to bring myself ever closer to Allah
Premium Member

In my case, because my religion is the only true religion (so I believe)! It just is.

Well, I certainly don't go around ramming my religion down people's throats (I'm pretty certain I don't in my life beyond RF, and hope I don't do that on RF!). But insofar as I think my religion is the true religion and all others are less true, I want others to share in that truth - I believe that is a major part of my mission. I also seek allies in the world against my enemies.

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
Your question reminds me of the story called The Mouse That Roared. A very small country, smaller than Luxembourg, was running out of funds, so a meeting was called and it was decided that the best way to refill the treasury was to invade the USA and surrender. From this they would get reparations and rebuilding funds. So they sent a small squad in to the USA to create a ruckus and pillage until the army came to stop them, but the small squad made the terrible mistake of stealing an experimental nuclear bomb which could blow up the planet. The USA immediately surrendered.

The reason it reminds me of the story is that we often don't know the results of the decisions that we make, and in the case of religious people who decide to say that their religion is the only one it is doubly true. Its an easy boast to make and seemingly harmless when the group is small, but then if that group grows the claim grows, too. Suddenly a harmless claim becomes an experimental bomb that no one intended to steal.

It varies from person to person. Political influences are a major factor.

Jumi

They think they will be rewarded for their efforts by their gods, they think they are helping others by converting them or making the world a better place. Sometimes a combination of these.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.

I think it's a need for people to feel that they are on top of things, to be on the right track.

Muslim-UK

Premium Member
A Muslim is obligated to tell others about Monotheism. otherwise all those people they met will be blaming them on the Day of Resurrection, telling GOD, that person did not convey the message, hoping to shift the blame.

We are not obliged to sit with mockers, the rude or those who are hostile.

The_Fisher_King

Trying to bring myself ever closer to Allah
Premium Member
Who are your enemies and what makes them so?

Those who are the Goddess' enemies - anyone who supports the Demiurge, the creator of this energetic-material universe, i.e. Yahweh, is an enemy of the Goddess (Who is Above the Demiurge). Because I am on the side of the Goddess, and they are not.

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member

I've narrowed it down to ego, pride, and fear.

Grandliseur

If I thought I was wrong, I would change. Atheists, and everyone else usually think they are right about their personal beliefs. If someone is convinced that their religion, philosophy, is wrong, they are usually trying to find that which is right. I know of no one who thinks they are wrong, whatever their philosophy of life is.