• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

True religion

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
Why do other religions view themselves as the only true religions?

And on top of that why do they make such a big deal out of it feeling an endless need to convince others of their truth?

Judaism considers it the only true religion, and it does not acknowledge any other religion nor Holy scripture as Divinely revealed.

So what;s new?!?!?!?

"We have meet the enemy and they are us!" - Pogo

Last edited:

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
Oh that. To be fair I never really saw this as a problem; they have the right to do so and they are only wanting other Jews. The whole aim of Chabad, in one regard, is to missionise other Jews. I can kind of understand it, considering the Jewish people are such a small peoplegroup that is rapidly intermarrying, their numbers are going to decline pretty fast. Since halachic Jews don't intermarry, this is a plus for them.

Well, that's just my opinion though.

In my opinion. exclusive inbreeding spiritually and physically, is product believing 'our way is the only,' not that much different from those that try to convert to 'our way is the only way.'

Elliott

I was referring to them approaching people on the street(usually Jews) and harassing them to be religious. Orthodox, in general, don't do this.
i thought you meant about how Chabad makes it sound like their Torah is unique and even the only true Torah.

DavidFirth

I believe this verse is the key:

Jeremiah 29:13
You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart.

Of course the "me" is God.

corynski

Reality First!
Premium Member
Why do other religions view themselves as the only true religions?

And on top of that why do they make such a big deal out of it feeling an endless need to convince others of their truth?
Well, you wouldn't want to belong to an untrue religion would you? Why would anyone? Religion is like a 'glue' that unites people with common belief, and has always been a tribal or group identification. Certainly a powerful 'god' would allow a group to become victorious in any combat situation, thus providing a sense of tribal security. Yahweh for example was a storm god from the south, as one writer put it. Apparently this world is not enough for many people, and they're prepared to accept any help a deity can offer.

Elliott

In my case, because my religion is the only true religion (so I believe)! It just is.

Well, I certainly don't go around ramming my religion down people's throats (I'm pretty certain I don't in my life beyond RF, and hope I don't do that on RF!). But insofar as I think my religion is the true religion and all others are less true, I want others to share in that truth - I believe that is a major part of my mission. I also seek allies in the world against my enemies.
i found that most people in this world spend so much time trying to get others to believe as them, and it doesn't work. On top of that the people their trying to convince are in turn trying to convince others of their beliefs as well. Everyone is trying to convince each other and no one is really hearing each other.

i know that what i believe is true, so now i could just take all the information that everyone else is sharing and see what i can learn from it. We have a book called "Avote" and one of the teachings in this book says "i grew wise from all my teachers". Even someone who teaches you one thing is considered your teacher. Another teaching is, "there is nothing better for the body than silence." so i find by learning from everyone and not trying to convince them of anything, i have so much more to gain, and i already have.

Elliott

Your question reminds me of the story called The Mouse That Roared. A very small country, smaller than Luxembourg, was running out of funds, so a meeting was called and it was decided that the best way to refill the treasury was to invade the USA and surrender. From this they would get reparations and rebuilding funds. So they sent a small squad in to the USA to create a ruckus and pillage until the army came to stop them, but the small squad made the terrible mistake of stealing an experimental nuclear bomb which could blow up the planet. The USA immediately surrendered.

The reason it reminds me of the story is that we often don't know the results of the decisions that we make, and in the case of religious people who decide to say that their religion is the only one it is doubly true. Its an easy boast to make and seemingly harmless when the group is small, but then if that group grows the claim grows, too. Suddenly a harmless claim becomes an experimental bomb that no one intended to steal.

It varies from person to person. Political influences are a major factor.

Love the story and it's a very good example.

i wouldn't have considered political influence.

Elliott

They think they will be rewarded for their efforts by their gods, they think they are helping others by converting them or making the world a better place. Sometimes a combination of these.
i was speaking to someone once and i pointed out that if you look at the Torah, Bible, and the Koran you will find that each do infact have great and important moral teachings in them. Whether or not the respective religions give them any serious consideration is another story all together. These moral teachings as far as i'm concerned are what truly make the world a better place.

Elliott

If I thought I was wrong, I would change. Atheists, and everyone else usually think they are right about their personal beliefs. If someone is convinced that their religion, philosophy, is wrong, they are usually trying to find that which is right. I know of no one who thinks they are wrong, whatever their philosophy of life is.
You are quite right that most of us are set in what we believe.

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
In my opinion. exclusive inbreeding spiritually and physically, is product believing 'our way is the only,' not that much different from those that try to convert to 'our way is the only way.'
Intermarriage is forbidden for halachic Jews per the Law.

Elliott

Judaism considers it the only true religion, and it does not acknowledge any other religion nor Holy scripture as Divinely revealed.

So what;s new?!?!?!?

"We have meet the enemy and they are us!" - Pogo
It is true, jews do consider theirs the only true religion.

Elliott

I believe this verse is the key:

Jeremiah 29:13
You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart.

Of course the "me" is God.
But does it say something to the effect of, "you will seek them out and bring them to Me"?

"you" being the follower and "Me" being god or something.

Elliott

Well, you wouldn't want to belong to an untrue religion would you? Why would anyone? Religion is like a 'glue' that unites people with common belief, and has always been a tribal or group identification. Certainly a powerful 'god' would allow a group to become victorious in any combat situation, thus providing a sense of tribal security. Yahweh for example was a storm god from the south, as one writer put it. Apparently this world is not enough for many people, and they're prepared to accept any help a deity can offer.
So by convincing others of your (the general "your") religion you feel your religion must be true?

DavidFirth

But does it say something to the effect of, "you will seek them out and bring them to Me"?

"you" being the follower and "Me" being god or something.

You may be referring to Ezekiel 34:11:

"'For this is what the Sovereign LORD says: I myself will search for my sheep and look after them."

Muslim-UK

Premium Member
Judaism does consider itself the true religion, that others have copied. A reading of the Jewish Scriptures clearly shows they have been expecting several key figures, Christians have identified one such individual as being Jesus Christ, peace be upon him, Muslims have identified another key person as Muhammad, peace be upon him.

The core teachings of both these men, Prophets of GOD have been a continuation of the teachings of Moses pbuh.

That core message is simply, Worship GOD alone, turn to him in your times of joy, and in your times of need, He is always there for you, right up until death overcomes you.