• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Top 5 movies

an anarchist

Your local anarchist.
What are your favorite top 5 movies, in no particular order?

I'm a huge movie geek. I like to tell people that I've seen every good movie there is. That's not true, but I've seen a lot of movies.

I'll start (I'm putting 7 because I can't narrow it down)
  1. Jurassic Park: watched this movie a literal thousand times. Watched it every day as a toddler/kid, and it never grows old for me. Just excitedly watched it this week. It made me love dinosaurs as a kid, and I still do.
  2. Fight Club: that ending! If you know, you know. This movie is slick, layered, and psychological. Fight Club Brad Pitt is my favorite Pitt, though his performance in 12 Monkeys comes close.
  3. Silence of the lambs: the most thrilling film I've seen. Anthony Hopkins elevates an already expert film to the level of masterpiece. It deserved all of the Oscars it won.
  4. The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly: the final film of my favorite trilogy (the dollars trilogy). Sergio Leone broke all kinds of Hollywood rules with this trilogy. With each movie, it got more grand and better production value. My favorite western, and my favorite actor (Clint Eastwood)
  5. One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest: winning a plethora of Oscars, this film pits a Jack Nicholson against the mental health system of the 60's. It could be said this film is about friendship. Jack Nicholson sure does crazy good, he does all kinds throughout his acting credits!
  6. The Seventh Seal: a film I have only visited twice, due to it's heavy themes and how I resonate with them. A film that questions the existence of God, the purpose of life, and death. It's on YouTube I think some of you would particularly like this film. It's right up our alley.
  7. Paths of Glory: a film I have only visited once, as it heavily depressed me. Stanley Kubrick paints the grimmest picture of war I've seen with this film.

Now your turn! Give me your top 5, maybe I might find a few new movies!

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member

I'm a huge movie geek. I like to tell people that I've seen every good movie there is. That's not true, but I've seen a lot of movies.

1. Jurassic Park: watched this movie a literal thousand times. Watched it every day as a toddler/kid, and it never grows old for me. Just excitedly watched it this week. It made me love dinosaurs as a kid, and I still do.
  2. Fight Club: that ending! If you know, you know. This movie is slick, layered, and psychological. Fight Club Brad Pitt is my favorite Pitt, though his performance in 12 Monkeys comes close.
  3. Silence of the lambs: the most thrilling film I've seen. Anthony Hopkins elevates an already expert film to the level of masterpiece. It deserved all of the Oscars it won.
  4. The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly: the final film of my favorite trilogy (the dollars trilogy). Sergio Leone broke all kinds of Hollywood rules with this trilogy. With each movie, it got more grand and better production value. My favorite western, and my favorite actor (Clint Eastwood)
  5. One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest: winning a plethora of Oscars, this film pits a Jack Nicholson against the mental health system of the 60's. It could be said this film is about friendship. Jack Nicholson sure does crazy good, he does all kinds throughout his acting credits!
  6. The Seventh Seal: a film I have only visited twice, due to it's heavy themes and how I resonate with them. A film that questions the existence of God, the purpose of life, and death. It's on YouTube I think some of you would particularly like this film. It's right up our alley.
  7. Paths of Glory: a film I have only visited once, as it heavily depressed me. Stanley Kubrick paints the grimmest picture of war I've seen with this film.

Top 5 in no particular order (and this tends to change based on my mood lol.)
Rabbit Proof Fence. Based on the Australian modern classic novel (and indeed is a true story) the film is about three aboriginal girls who are snatched up by the government in 1931 and follows their harrowing journey in search of freedom and against oppression.
Disney’s (animated) Beauty and the Beast. Still one of my all time favourite films from my childhood that still holds up lol
Monty Python and the Holy Grail. Hilarious and often quoted by anyone even remotely familiar with Monty Python. I grew up on their comedies since my uncle is a Brit so that, meaning of life and Life of Brian were required viewing basically lol
Back to the Future trilogy. I know that’s 3 films, but it was meant to be one continuous story throughout.
Rocky shorty Picture Show. That was my childhood

Shoutout to the Lord of the Rings trilogy, Harry Potter (though I prefer the books mostly) regardless both are in my top 10, easily.
The Castle an Aussie classic comedy and I will second many of your choices. Jurassic Park, Fight Club etc
Though I very slightly prefer Red Dragon to Silence. Just because it’s a battle of wits moreso with the two main leads. Whereas in Silence the protagonist is mostly in awe of Hannibal.
Though I suppose Hopkins kind of looks ancient by the time Red Dragon came out so it’s a bit odd viewing lol
Have you seen Manhunter? It came out a few years before Silence of the Lambs and is based on the Red Dragon Novel. It’s a pretty cool adaption, imo
And nod towards Batman 89 and the Dark Knight. Still among my faves of DC movies.
For Marvel I have to give a nod to Into the Spiderverse, my favourite Spider-Man adaption. The Spider-Man films from the 2000s, and the old X Men films, just because they’re my childhood lol

Ahh I have way too many faves to make a top 5 list lol

Last edited:

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
1. The Castle
2.Monty Python and The Holy Grail
3. Life of Brian
4. Zulu (the 1964 one)
5. History of the World: Part 1
I might come back with four others, but Zulu probably would be one of the five, given it did seem to be quite honest in covering this event, even if much depicted was not apparently true.

Erebus

Pan's Labyrinth - Absolutely beautiful, touching and frightening at the same time. I'm not sure there's anything I could criticise here.

Donnie Darko - I watched this in my teens and it definitely left an impression on me. I think the sense of not belonging I felt (and still feel) made this film resonate with me on a more personal level.

Army of Darkness - It's cheesy, goofy and divisive among horror fans. It's also the film that sparked my love of horror so it will always have a special place in my heart.

Martyrs - The best film I've seen that I never want to watch again. I felt genuinely cold and dirty after seeing it in a way that no other horror film has managed.

Re-animator - This is the film I've probably watched the most frequently as an adult. The pitch black humour makes me grin in a way that probably warrants therapy.

PureX

Veteran Member
Wow, you all have terrible taste in movies! (Just kidding)

I can never make these lists. But I noticed no one mentioned The Godfather 1and 2. And I would add Being There. And for those into historic cinema, don't forget 8 1/2.

pearl

Not Without My Daughter
On the Beach
The Queen
Hunt for Red October
Most of the original Star Trek movies

pearl

What first attracts us to a particular movie, the plot, the special effects, or the particular actors? I find myself looking to the actors first.

Nimos

The top movies I have enjoyed for one reason or another.

1. Lord of the rings trilogy - As an epic tale and a trilogy it is a masterpiece in my opinion. A fairly simply tale between good and evil, friendship, loyalty and temptation.

2. Star wars trilogy - Same as with Lord of the Rings, a simple story about good and evil and hope.

3. Godfather trilogy - Don't really think there is a lot to explain here, it's a masterpiece.

4. The Neverending story - In my opinion the best children/young movie ever made, that can teach them some good lessons.

5. Alien / Alien 2 - As a horror sci-fi, this is top-notch, with some of the most iconic monsters ever created.

6. Forrest Gump - It is a very good tale and a story of an underdog hero. Might not be a movie you watch countless times, but it is one that you will not forget once you have seen it.

7. Indiana Jones (the first 3) - Good adventure movie with a likeable main character.

Could add more, but to me, these are movies within film history that I think stand out, either as being genre-defining or simply delivering entertainment at the highest level.