• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Top 5 movies

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
To add to Zulu:

The Wizard of Oz
The African Queen
The Bridge on the River Kwai
Ben Hur

But could be many others perhaps. :oops:

Like ...

A Clockwork Orange
The Sound of Music
West Side Story
The Green Mile
Seven Samurai
LA Confidential
etc.

Given - seen so many and forgotten them too. :D

Last edited:

Wildswanderer

Veteran Member
I have a very hard time picking five.. but I tend to like epic stories and westerns the best.

So: Gladiator
Quigley down under.
Shane.
The last of the Mohicans.
The Patriot

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
The top movies I have enjoyed for one reason or another.

1. Lord of the rings trilogy - As an epic tale and a trilogy it is a masterpiece in my opinion. A fairly simply tale between good and evil, friendship, loyalty and temptation.

2. Star wars trilogy - Same as with Lord of the Rings, a simple story about good and evil and hope.

3. Godfather trilogy - Don't really think there is a lot to explain here, it's a masterpiece.

4. The Neverending story - In my opinion the best children/young movie ever made, that can teach them some good lessons.

5. Alien / Alien 2 - As a horror sci-fi, this is top-notch, with some of the most iconic monsters ever created.

6. Forrest Gump - It is a very good tale and a story of an underdog hero. Might not be a movie you watch countless times, but it is one that you will not forget once you have seen it.

7. Indiana Jones (the first 3) - Good adventure movie with a likeable main character.

Could add more, but to me, these are movies within film history that I think stand out, either as being genre-defining or simply delivering entertainment at the highest level.
Whenever someone mentions The Neverending Story the theme song immediately starts playing in my head lol
The movie was a really good adaptation but I kind of preferred the animated TV series.
Though it was much more lose in adapting the novel. I think it was produced by a Canadian company????
Makes me wonder if there was any German adaptions, since the original novel is actually a German one

Nimos

Whenever someone mentions The Neverending Story the theme song immediately starts playing in my head lol
The movie was a really good adaptation but I kind of preferred the animated TV series.
Though it was much more lose in adapting the novel. I think it was produced by a Canadian company????
Makes me wonder if there was any German adaptions, since the original novel is actually a German one
I don't know anything about it really. Except that, to me, it stands out as the perfect movie for young people, kind of like ET, which probably should be on the list as well.
It has so many good messages in it I think and just as a good fantasy family movie, I don't think any other movie can beat it in that genre. It got amazing and funny characters, evil and good, heroes and the fight for something greater than oneself.

I'm honestly surprised that Hollywood hasn't gotten their fingers on it yet and ruined it. :)

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
I don't know anything about it really. Except that, to me, it stands out as the perfect movie for young people, kind of like ET, which probably should be on the list as well.
It has so many good messages in it I think and just as a good fantasy family movie, I don't think any other movie can beat it in that genre. It got amazing and funny characters, evil and good, heroes and the fight for something greater than oneself.

I have to agree. It’s among one of my favourites. A really solid wholesome childhood movie
Though I have more of a soft spot for the show. Childhood nostalgia and all that. It sadly only had one season and the animation is admittedly “tv animation” lol
But I do recommend it if you liked the movie. It’s just kind of a fun exploration into the lands of the book.
The Book is better though. I’ll admit that.

I'm honestly surprised that Hollywood hasn't gotten their fingers on it yet and ruined it. :)
You clearly haven’t seen the sequels!!
My advice? Don’t. Lol

Nimos

I have to agree. It’s among one of my favourites. A really solid wholesome childhood movie
Though I have more of a soft spot for the show. Childhood nostalgia and all that. It sadly only had one season and the animation is admittedly “tv animation” lol
But I do recommend it if you liked the movie. It’s just kind of a fun exploration into the lands of the book.
The Book is better though. I’ll admit that.

You clearly haven’t seen the sequels!!
My advice? Don’t. Lol
I have seen them, and yes they are not included in my praises for the first one :D

Watchmen

Premium Member
In no particular order (and the list likely changes daily!);

Star Wars
Moulin Rouge
The Silence of the Lambs
Ex Machina
The Wrath of Khan

Watchmen

Premium Member
Pan's Labyrinth - Absolutely beautiful, touching and frightening at the same time. I'm not sure there's anything I could criticise here.

Donnie Darko - I watched this in my teens and it definitely left an impression on me. I think the sense of not belonging I felt (and still feel) made this film resonate with me on a more personal level.

Army of Darkness - It's cheesy, goofy and divisive among horror fans. It's also the film that sparked my love of horror so it will always have a special place in my heart.

Martyrs - The best film I've seen that I never want to watch again. I felt genuinely cold and dirty after seeing it in a way that no other horror film has managed.

Re-animator - This is the film I've probably watched the most frequently as an adult. The pitch black humour makes me grin in a way that probably warrants therapy.
Love Pan’s Labyrinth!

Heyo

Veteran Member
The NeverEnding Story (film) - Wikipedia

It is a German production.

gnomon

Watership Down (Martin Rosen version)...always my number one movie.
Joker
The Lord of the Rings trilogy
The Man From Nowhere
Stalag 17

edit: If I could add a close fifth it would be Kontroll.

Last edited:

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Casablanca
Pulp Fiction
Lawrence of Arabia
Spartacus
Brief Encounter
Apocalypse Now
2001, A Space Odyssey

Sorry, couldn’t reduce it to 5. I’ve already left out Taxi Driver, both Blade Runners, The Deer Hunter, Picnic At Hanging Rock, etc etc

I was thinking that we should have more Lawrence of Arabia nominations.

And for the OP, I would suggest a movie that he has already seen, sort of. It also caused a delay of the release of For a Fistful of Dollars. Watch Yojimbo. It was the move that A Fistful of Dollars was based upon. In fact you can watch alternating scenes from the two movies and get the full story.

RestlessSoul

In no particular order (and the list likely changes daily!);

Star Wars
Moulin Rouge
The Silence of the Lambs
Ex Machina
The Wrath of Khan

I’m going to have to give Moulin Rouge another watch. I wasn’t that impressed the first time, but lots of people seem to like it, and Baz Luhrmann movies can grow on you, I find.

RestlessSoul

I was thinking that we should have more Lawrence of Arabia nominations.

And for the OP, I would suggest a movie that he has already seen, sort of. It also caused a delay of the release of For a Fistful of Dollars. Watch Yojimbo. It was the move that A Fistful of Dollars was based upon. In fact you can watch alternating scenes from the two movies and get the full story.

Yeah, Kurosawa was a great director. A lot of his movies got remade in Hollywood - Seven Samurai/The Magnificent Seven being another example