• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Today it will mainly be - this genre

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
Dave Holland.

It's odd, I used to love all his albums, whether trio, quartet, quintet... until he did a big band album. Now, years later I love those two big band albums the most.

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
Well you've covered a lot of bases there!

Here's the trumpeter Avishaii Cohen...

Possibly my first introduction, apart from Take Five from a friend at Scouts, was Benny Goodman and this, along with a Gene Krupa album - both I got from an older brother. All the rest I can blame on Dobells on Charing Cross Road in London. :eek:

I think I saw the following in concert - Dave Brubeck, Bill Evans, Thelonious Monk, Freddie Hubbard, Stan Getz, and Dizzy Gillespie, as well as those mentioned previously - all in London.

Last edited:

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
That's impressive gigging. I think my dalliance with jazz only resulted n three gigs - Sun Ra, Ronald Shannon Jackson, and David Murray.

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
That's impressive gigging. I think my dalliance with jazz only resulted n three gigs - Sun Ra, Ronald Shannon Jackson, and David Murray.

Fortunately many of the greats were still alive then. Just can't remember if I ever saw Miles playing but I don't think so.

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
I missed out a couple - the MJQ and Ornette Coleman, and I apparently saw Monk twice according to the programmes I still have (all priced at two shillings and sixpence). :D And it was Stan Kenton (Orchestra), not Stan Getz. :oops:

Also have the programmes for some Blues and Gospel events, which featured Muddy Waters, Otis Spann, Mississippi John Hurt, Buddy Guy, John Lee Hooker, Mississippi Fred McDowell, along with others. And I still have the 1966 Bob Dylan programme from the Free Trade Hall concert in Manchester too (the Judas event).

Can't remember any of them though. :D (apart from the Dylan concert and bits of others)

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
Very nice this - I really should seek out more from the Jazz side as not much appears in my random playlist, but mainly due to circumstances - not being able to play the LPs mostly. :oops:

I don't have as much as I used to have, the genre was particularly badly hit by one of my occasional purges. As fartdom beckons I find the kind I enjoy typically appears on the ECM label.

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
I still find a lot to enjoy in the music of ROVA. It seems they have a classical music "approach" to jazz. Not always easy listening but worth the effort IMO.

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
So today we have - Traditional/Country Dance/Folk dance music - but I'm not sure what might be included as such, since Country and Western might be included here (not one of my favourites), so I'll leave it to others as to what they want to post. One might suspect I have a particular love for one - Blowzabella - and I can only thank the person who put me on to this band. :heart:

Last edited:

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
Today we have - Dixieland/Traditional Jazz - with the British Trad Jazz revival being current when I was a youth, but of course the source material was generally a lot better, so I do have quite a few LPs of such, including an EP of The Original Dixieland Jazz Band's first (acoustic) recording in 1917. I believe electric recording, and so much better, only came about in 1922/23.