• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Today it will mainly be - this genre

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
Perhaps not so much a genre as category but no complaints. :D Anyway, back to normal, and I suppose I can't not post these:

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
The next genre will perhaps be even more niche for a Western audience but well worth getting into - Traditional Chinese Instrumental Music - and with some from Japan and Vietnam included too. My interest was awakened by a radio programme from 1979 called Lover's Sorrow, a mixture of Chinese music and poetry, with much dating from long ago. I actually recorded the programme on cassette at the time and I wish that it could have been released on CD, so enjoyable it was and I think it would have sold.

Later, I came across a couple of cassettes with similar music - unfortunately just described in Chinese so I know not what the title of each piece of music is - and these are equally enjoyable. One of the main instruments used is a bowed two-string fiddle called an erhu, and it is remarkable what can come from such a simple instrument. So, much is solo instruments or small combinations, but a full ensemble is especially pleasing when playing a popular piece like Dance of The Golden Snake. The piece played on the radio programme was just perfect (for me at least), and I have searched to find this version but alas to no avail - other versions are either too fast, too slow, lack the vibrancy, etc., but two are included here. So enjoy (or not). :D

Last edited: