• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

To speak only truth

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
Human beings are known for twisting the truth to avoid unpleasant situations. But why should we twist the truth when it is the truth that will enlighten us?
We are all on a journey through life where one time or another we have told untruth, But how does that make us feel afterward? Is it not worth struggling to become 100% truthful even it hurts in the short run, but save us in the long run?

Is it not just an attachment that keeps us from speaking the truth? the attachment of feeling hurt when someone gets angry at us because we speak the truth.
If we look at it deeper, is it not the person who feels angry that is truly suffering and not us?

dianaiad

Human beings are known for twisting the truth to avoid unpleasant situations. But why should we twist the truth when it is the truth that will enlighten us?
We are all on a journey through life where one time or another we have told untruth, But how does that make us feel afterward? Is it not worth struggling to become 100% truthful even it hurts in the short run, but save us in the long run?

Is it not just an attachment that keeps us from speaking the truth? the attachment of feeling hurt when someone gets angry at us because we speak the truth.
If we look at it deeper, is it not the person who feels angry that is truly suffering and not us?

I agree:

. Oh say, what is truth? 'Tis the fairest gem
That the riches of worlds can produce,
And priceless the value of truth will be when
The proud monarch's costliest diadem
Is counted but dross and refuse.
https://lyricstranslate.com

2. Yes, say, what is truth? 'Tis the brightest prize
To which mortals or Gods can aspire.
Go search in the depths where it glittering lies,
Or ascend in pursuit to the loftiest skies:
'Tis an aim for the noblest desire.

3. The sceptre may fall from the despot's grasp
When with winds of stern justice he copes.
But the pillar of truth will endure to the last,
And its firm-rooted bulwarks outstand the rude blast
And the wreck of the fell tyrant's hopes.

4. Then say, what is truth? 'Tis the last and the first,
For the limits of time it steps o'er.
Tho the heavens depart and the earth's fountains burst,
Truth, the sum of existence, will weather the worst,
Eternal, unchanged, evermore.

One of my favorite hymns. Mostly because of the first line, and that very important question:

Oh, say...what IS truth?

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
I agree:

. Oh say, what is truth? 'Tis the fairest gem
That the riches of worlds can produce,
And priceless the value of truth will be when
The proud monarch's costliest diadem
Is counted but dross and refuse.
https://lyricstranslate.com

2. Yes, say, what is truth? 'Tis the brightest prize
To which mortals or Gods can aspire.
Go search in the depths where it glittering lies,
Or ascend in pursuit to the loftiest skies:
'Tis an aim for the noblest desire.

3. The sceptre may fall from the despot's grasp
When with winds of stern justice he copes.
But the pillar of truth will endure to the last,
And its firm-rooted bulwarks outstand the rude blast
And the wreck of the fell tyrant's hopes.

4. Then say, what is truth? 'Tis the last and the first,
For the limits of time it steps o'er.
Tho the heavens depart and the earth's fountains burst,
Truth, the sum of existence, will weather the worst,
Eternal, unchanged, evermore.

One of my favorite hymns. Mostly because of the first line, and that very important question:

Oh, say...what IS truth?
The text of the hymn is very good :) Thank you for sharing :)

Dan From Smithville

What we've got here is failure to communicate.
Staff member
Premium Member

People are emotional. We get our feelings hurt. We sometimes have difficulty giving up long-held ideas even if there is no good reason to retain them.

I think we should strive to be as honest as possible. It is an ideal advocated by many religions.

However, there are trivial areas of life where we often see 'white lies' as irrelevant, harmless and sometimes holding together the feelings of others. While it may ultimately be of value to tell Uncle Tony his toupee is obvious and looks goofy, we often find it better not to give him both barrels of truth so immediately or bluntly. It is an art to being honest in some situations.

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש

The truth is like a virus. It can be shocking, painful, and counter-productive. It's better to do nothing than to make matters worse. There are several examples of how sharing "The truth" can be counter-productive and make matters worse. The one that I thought of immediately is called "psychic shock" ( link ).

Also, it's arrogant and ignorant to assume that any belief system is true for everyone. That is part of the definition of "preaching".

So if there is hostility in the audience, the simple answer is: People don't like preaching, especially intelligent adults who have developed their own world view and are not asking for help.

Here is my advice: take it or leave it:

1) If the audience is an adult, always wait for them to ask for help. Never offer unsolicited advice. Unsolicited advice is preaching, and preaching naturally renders a negative response in most intelligent adults.

2) Always develop a baseline of understanding of the audience before offering information or answering. Use this baseline of understand to tailor the information to each individual person.

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש
Human beings are known for twisting the truth to avoid unpleasant situations.
I want to focus on this...

It's important to remember that we are all human. That means even if there is a universal belief system that is true for everyone and for everything, anyone who is human who is sharing this belief system is also going to be "twisting" and "avoiding".

wizanda

One Accepts All Religious Texts
Premium Member
But why should we twist the truth when it is the truth that will enlighten us?
It is easier to spot the fallacies in a subject, truth is subjective in some way; the idea we're down near Hell, and people seek truth is not logical.

In my opinion. :innocent:

SigurdReginson

Grēne Mann
Premium Member
When people already know all the answers, there's not much room left for any new information. It takes a willingness to clear the attic and to toss out the old information to make room for new ideas. A lot of folks just aren't willing to and would rather surround themselves with familiar concepts that they've grown attached to whether it's accurate or not. Times change regardless, though. It'll leave you in the dust if you don't try to keep up.

As for twisting the truth, those are folks who care more about winning than the truth. They don't really care about facts.

Heyo

Veteran Member

It is not the impuls to speak in a way that makes us look good that brings us to lie; it is the impuls to speak. Period.
You don't have to tell the truth, you just have to stop telling lies.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member

Everyone has their own version of "the truth." As a Baha'i, I believe that all roads lead to Rome so all the major and even the minor religions teach the same spiritual truths....

"If each investigate for himself, he will find that Reality is one; does not admit of multiplicity; is not divisible. All will find the same foundation and all will be at peace.” – Abdu’l-Baha, Star of the West, Volume 3, p. 5.

To be truthful, it is not attachment of feeling hurt when someone gets angry that keeps me from speaking "what I believe" is the truth on this forum; it is fear of being banned for proselytizing. Mum's the word.

danieldemol

Premium Member

I don’t idolise truth telling but I do value it very very highly

Mindmaster

Premium Member

What is the truth? :D

Truth is very much subjective to the individuals involved in a conversation or for that matter anywhere else. But, let's spit-ball a bit...

Ok, so "truth" is basically accepted to be:

1) Shared knowledge between two parties who attest to the same facts to another party.
2) One persons account of something as well as they know it. "Truth as far as they know."
3) Religious banter that must be accepted unquestioningly. (Not exactly a truth, since one isn't allowed to investigate.)

Which one are you getting at? :D

Anyway, there are valid reasons to lie as well and I can think of a few. For example, it's certainly better to lie when what you might say would hurt someone for absolutely no gain for you or them. If your truthful idealism causes wreckage in other peoples lives I'd hardly call that a kindness. In fact, I'd call it selfishness really -- as you have no consideration of the feelings of others and absolve yourself in some mock virtue of telling the truth at all times. Even the times where it would absolutely destroy someone and you could have just spared their feelings because you felt guilty about withholding the information or worse superior and egoistical about the behavior. Anyway, I think it speaks more of your character that you know when to pick the battles and know when to take it for the team.It won't make you feel good if you have any conscience whatsoever, but you're certainly the stronger person if you act in this manner.

It's more valuable in all aspects of society to be seen as truthful so I'd not make a habit of it but there is no value in sticking to ones guns on this point.

stvdv

Veteran Member: I Share (not Debate) my POV

IMHO: If you want to know the Truth, you better start "worshipping" the Truth

stvdv

Veteran Member: I Share (not Debate) my POV
Human beings are known for twisting the truth to avoid unpleasant situations

Not speaking the Truth only means that you have fear. Once you realize this, you can decide if you want to stay in fear or not.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
The truth is like a virus. It can be shocking, painful, and counter-productive. It's better to do nothing than to make matters worse. There are several examples of how sharing "The truth" can be counter-productive and make matters worse. The one that I thought of immediately is called "psychic shock" ( link ).

Also, it's arrogant and ignorant to assume that any belief system is true for everyone. That is part of the definition of "preaching".

So if there is hostility in the audience, the simple answer is: People don't like preaching, especially intelligent adults who have developed their own world view and are not asking for help.

Here is my advice: take it or leave it:

1) If the audience is an adult, always wait for them to ask for help. Never offer unsolicited advice. Unsolicited advice is preaching, and preaching naturally renders a negative response in most intelligent adults.

2) Always develop a baseline of understanding of the audience before offering information or answering. Use this baseline of understand to tailor the information to each individual person.
Truth does not mean preaching :) Truth means we speak as truthful as we can to our ability and knowledge of each situation, Suguagrcoating the situation does not work in the long run in my understanding :)
But truth also comes in different levels (in spiritual life anyway) Because the truth I see now is not the highest truth of a situation, but when cultivating to a more advanced level the truth will look different again.

An example can be if someone from earth was taken to one heaven, and saw a spiritual scripture in heaven, they would not recognize it even it was the same teaching, because the truth in heaven and the truth we understand on earth is very different (since the truth in heaven is closer to the very essence of truth (this is how i understand it)

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
I want to focus on this...

It's important to remember that we are all human. That means even if there is a universal belief system that is true for everyone and for everything, anyone who is human who is sharing this belief system is also going to be "twisting" and "avoiding".
The wording i used was because as an example " a group of people have seen someone in the group do wrong, and when the boss ask them who did it. none of them are going to say who the person is, nor is the person him/her self willing to say it because they are afraid of the consequence. But if the person was speaking the truth they would admit it was them, and the consequence would be less painful when it would be discovered who did it anyway later on.
Just think of the guilty thoughts, worries, agony the person would have because they would be worried they got busted later. in this case, truth is best from the beginning.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
It is easier to spot the fallacies in a subject, truth is subjective in some way; the idea we're down near Hell, and people seek truth is not logical.

In my opinion. :innocent:
The only way out of this realm is to become truthful :) to stop doing the wrong deeds that lead us to be reborn in this realm close to hell , in my understanding anyway, but I see your point Wizanda :)

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
What is the truth? :D

Truth is very much subjective to the individuals involved in a conversation or for that matter anywhere else. But, let's spit-ball a bit...

Ok, so "truth" is basically accepted to be:

1) Shared knowledge between two parties who attest to the same facts to another party.
2) One persons account of something as well as they know it. "Truth as far as they know."
3) Religious banter that must be accepted unquestioningly. (Not exactly a truth, since one isn't allowed to investigate.)

Which one are you getting at? :D

Anyway, there are valid reasons to lie as well and I can think of a few. For example, it's certainly better to lie when what you might say would hurt someone for absolutely no gain for you or them. If your truthful idealism causes wreckage in other peoples lives I'd hardly call that a kindness. In fact, I'd call it selfishness really -- as you have no consideration of the feelings of others and absolve yourself in some mock virtue of telling the truth at all times. Even the times where it would absolutely destroy someone and you could have just spared their feelings because you felt guilty about withholding the information or worse superior and egoistical about the behavior. Anyway, I think it speaks more of your character that you know when to pick the battles and know when to take it for the team.It won't make you feel good if you have any conscience whatsoever, but you're certainly the stronger person if you act in this manner.

It's more valuable in all aspects of society to be seen as truthful so I'd not make a habit of it but there is no value in sticking to one's guns on this point.
To tell the truth, is actually helping everybody if I saw someone do something wrong and was asked about I have two choices, to say it how i saw it unfold, or to keep silent and not say anything.

Then if I keep silent I have not hurt or ranted on the other person, but in the same time his karmic retribution would take place another time, and he would need to suffer no matter what since he has committed something wrong, Karma does not stop just because someone does not say anything.

So actually if i knew who it was and told when asked, both would gain from it, because the one who did wrong could explain why it happened, and I would not need to tell a lie to "save his ***"

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member

I'll keep this in mind when my friend asks me, "Do these pants make my butt look big?" :D

Last edited: