• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tiny Houses

Master Vigil

I don't know if this has been talked about here or not... but have any of you every seen one of these houses in person?

They are called Tumbleweed houses. They are tiny, TINY houses. With most ranging from 70 to 120 sq ft. They can be built on utility trailers, or on a foundation. They are extremely efficient, and extremely cute!!

What do you think of this idea, and of the tiny house movement?

Nanda

Polyanna
Papersock's long-term goal is to build himself a tumbleweed house. He's the perfect candidate for one, too. He's likes privacy and his needs are very simple.

Sola'lor

LDSUJC
I think it's an awesome idea. But I too could only do it for the few months I have left that I'll still be single.

would be funny if someone forget to put the break on and it rolled down the hill, "warning house aproaching"

Ringer

Jar of Clay
Seems a little pricey for what you get. I'm no carpenter but it'd seem like if you bought those materials yourself and had a little know-how you could do it for probably half that price. Someone can correct if I'm wrong.

Nanda

Polyanna
Seems a little pricey for what you get. I'm no carpenter but it'd seem like if you bought those materials yourself and had a little know-how you could do it for probably half that price. Someone can correct if I'm wrong.

You're correct. You can buy the blueprints and make them yourself. The price varies depending on which one you decide to build, but I believe the one Papersock plans to make cost about $4,000 in materials.

trinity2359

Slightly OT: I love our local IKEA store. They have these layouts for entire apartment/houses from like 275 sq feet and up. They make it so it looks totally liveable ... for 1 or 2 people, not the family of 4 I've got now.
I also love RVs - not too green, I know, but that's not what I was looking for - I just love seeing the inguinity (sp) to make the most of such small spaces. One ya'll might like is called icamp: urvusa.com icamp elite

Somkid

It's kind of cool as a cabin kind of thing but where is the toilet??? I'm looking to sell the house we currently have because it has tripled in value in the past 3 years and the trend is coming to an end but my wife and I would like to either build the type of house that is all separate buildings (kind of like the tiny house) connected by gardens and decks or a box house where the center is hollow and contains the garden while the four walls have all the rooms. I can't find any examples on the web but the Thai house magazines are full of these styles and these designs are as "green" as can be.

+Xausted

up until we had to move in september, we had a play house for the girls that was bigger than these houses!!!!

Nanda

Polyanna
Useless. There are many people needing LARGER houses to support families. There houses are good if you want to live alone all your life...

You've completely missed the point, I'm afraid. These aren't for large families, these are for single people and yes, even couples, depending on which one you build. The people who live in these houses love them. Just because you wouldn't want one personally doesn't make it stupid.

You've completely missed the point, I'm afraid. These aren't for large families, these are for single people and yes, even couples, depending on which one you build. The people who live in these houses love them. Just because you wouldn't want one personally doesn't make it stupid.

They are practical for one person only. Unless you could upgrade to a larger one, then it is pointless, even for just two people. For one person, its good.

Master Vigil

The tiny one's are meant for 1-2 people yes. But they do make larger ones, and ones that are permanently affixed to a foundation that very comfortably fit 2 or more people. That is not the point, the point is living simply and ecologically friendly.

This is a great blog for tiny houses.

I myself am going to either build a tumbleweed house, or a low impact woodland house.
As seen below...

front.jpg

wide.jpg

flowers.jpg

candle.jpg

kitchen.jpg