• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Throwing the baby out with the bathwater ...

What is your primary concern?

• Saving the child.

Votes: 20 87.0%
  • Saving the puppy.

Votes: 3 13.0%

• Total voters

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
(The following is posed with a @SalixIncendium thread in mind.)

You are sailing and, roughly 3 miles from land, you see a child and puppy struggling in the water.

Your primary concern is ...
see poll

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
But in all seriousness, I answered the question in the other thread, and neither choice reflects my view, or at least it's not that black and white.

I would do my best to save both. Given puppies are generally better swimmers than young children, I'd probably go for the baby first, then go to the puppy.

PureX

Veteran Member

You are sailing and, roughly 3 miles from land, you see a child and puppy struggling in the water.

see poll
... How the hell did THAT happen?

Then ... someone should help them!

Hmmm ... I'm hungry. Time for a sandwich.

It Aint Necessarily So

Veteran Member
Premium Member

see poll
Assuming that one and only one can be saved, whichever is closer. I don't see myself swimming or sailing past either to get to the other. But that evades your purpose in asking. If they were equidistant, probably the puppy. In a room containing one of each, I would go to the puppy and away from the child.

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member
While I generally like puppies better than babies, I would choose the baby because:

--- letting a puppy drown would probably keep me up fewer nights than letting a baby drown.

--- the death of a puppy would probably represent less collateral angst than the death of a baby.

--- as a theist I'm always operating under the assumption that God is watching, and if I had to hazard a guess I would say God would probably want me to save the baby (then again who knows?)

--- people tend to live longer than dogs, so if we want to quantify life in years, saving a baby would represent saving more of it.

Of course while I was processing all of this both would drown, so on to the next delema.

(And now you know why the admins never get anything done here)

Last edited:

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
If possible figure out the shortest direct between the two. Make that heading, scoop whichever is first out of the water, then scoop out the second.

If they are equidistant I'd go for the baby first then try and retrieve the dog.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I'd save the child, whose life is far far far more valuable.
The puppy is merely a snack.
Albeit a cute one.

Last edited:

icehorse

......unaffiliated...... anti-dogmatist
Premium Member
In life saving training we learned "reach, throw, row, go". The last resort is to jump in the water. So not sinking your boat is the first priority.

If you can save only one and not sink your boat, I think you save the baby. I think most morality is based on the range of emotional states a being can experience, and we assume that a human has a wider range than a dog. We might be wrong about that, but for now that's our assumption.

Personally I think humans tend to vastly underestimate the emotional lives of mammals and birds, and that we treat them badly as a result.

Last edited:

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
A bit obvious to me (the baby), and seemingly most all those who answered, given that I would probably have a hard time trying to explain to a parent why I did otherwise if the baby died. And as remarked, if the puppy is alive it is probably a more natural swimmer.