• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Throw Your Curiosity Out the Window!

beenie

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
That's what I was told when I asked someone about a religious belief. I asked a thought-provoking, but very respectful, question. Why are the religious questions so taboo? I wasn't questioning the validity if the entire belief system, but I was told that asking too many questions leads to trouble and doubt.

IMO, avoidance of answering the question leads to trouble and doubt; are we so weak in our beliefs that we can't be challenged? I was disappointed with this.

The Wizard

That's what I was told when I asked someone about a religious belief. I asked a thought-provoking, but very respectful, question. Why are the religious questions so taboo? I wasn't questioning the validity if the entire belief system, but I was told that asking too many questions leads to trouble and doubt.

IMO, avoidance of answering the question leads to trouble and doubt; are we so weak in our beliefs that we can't be challenged? I was disappointed with this.

Well, that is true, but depends on circumstances and beliefs. It's about how unguided scepticism can destroy a rational belief and its affects on life. A simple example. A person finds that their beliefs in luck actually helps them remain luckier. So, then they sit their constantly questioning, analyzing and skeptisizing over it, looking for a box-cutter reason to believe the belief in which everyone can relate without ridicule. But, what happens is through the whole process they are just turning their developed belief into a notion to ponder about or entertain, it no longer is a true belief (as in an action or verb) and is just a thing or noun. In so doing they have ruined or weakened the belief and its objective affects in life and will have to regain the relationship towards it again... Just as happiness don't need any reason or analization to exist or work, so of many beliefs to create values and positive results.. That is why many will stay away from someone's scepticism.. if they can't understand the nature of what it is to believe in something in the first place....imo.

Onkara

To the OP.
Sometimes people don't have the answer, although they feel they are right, and so they dismiss questions or result in attacking each other.

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
I was always taught to never discuss religion or politics. My husband discusses politics nonstop and he alienates everyone.

atanu

Premium Member

ssainhu

Arguments are said to harmful for spiritual progress but enquiry is said to be good. I think, it all depends on the intention of the questioner. A general rule is that good intentions bring no harm.

Zardoz

Wonderful Wizard
Premium Member
I think sometimes questions are seen as an attack, and often they are. Sometimes it's hard to tell if a question is genuine, especially online where there's no clues as to intent. Especially if that type of question is common and often accompanied by negative signals, in the RL. When we read that question (or something close) online, sometimes the mental picture we conjure up in our mind of the way the question is being asked is like the unpleasant negative manner that we have heard it before in RL. That mental image and assumption of intent can certainly be wrong.

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
I can see how it can be construed when you take into account that the majority of people who talk about their faith won't listen to what others have to say about their faith. Kind of like telling someone all your troubles and telling the person they are talking to to be quiet when he or she brings any of his troubles.

Onkara

I was always taught to never discuss religion or politics. My husband discusses politics nonstop and he alienates everyone.

I found it happened to me when I became more aware of the wrong in the world. A bit like watching or reading the news you end up angry with everyone, just because. Best not to get involved, yet remain aware as possible of change (i.e. curiosity). All politics are driven by desire, based on self-identity. Remove the need for self-identity and there is less conflict.

BruceDLimber

Precisely why one of the central precepts of the Baha'i Faith is Individual Investigation of Truth!

What this means is that each and every individual has both the right and the duty to investigate the various religions, decide where the truth lies, and follow that!

And NO ONE has the right to interfere in this process--not parents, spouse, clergy, friends, or anyone else!

Simple as that.

And whether you become a Baha'i, something else, or nothing at all is strictly YOUR business, no one else's! We will support your decision no matter what it is.

Works great for us! :)

Bruce

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member

Some "religious questions" just make no sense in context, not because the question is wrong but because the context is wrong.

(And sometimes just because the context is.)

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member

It happens often enough, however. It seems to me that you understood the situation perfectly. Or, at least, the situation you describe is all too common.

Unfortunately, for many people, belief is something to bet on, not to be made solid and trustworthy.

elmarna

people who are insecure about their beliefs would feel they "under attack"
I doubt the Rabbis, priests, ministers, vicars,Imoms, ect. ect. would say questioning the beliefs are unwise. they may even enjoy a debate that challenges them.
Of course they are steadfast in how they are placeing its value & not likely swayed.
I say it is unhealthy to have blind faith unless the person you assume is preaching truths is so wise he or she has shown you that what it can do can make you respond wisely in a life full of unwise ways. Abelief in your service will always be found in the show of hands you have!

science_is_my_god

Philosophical Monist
I don't know. There are times when I really do think ignorance is bliss. If I could just accept things as others describe them life would be much easier.

In general, I think thousands of years of religious dogma have essentially put up barriers between us and "god."

Many of us (although few of us here on the forums) don't even try to define what "god" is. We look at a guy with a bushy white beard, a specific physical manifestation of spirits, etc. Why? Because our religions say so! We have preachers, holy texts, and renaissance paintings to show us and tell us what god is. Many of us are NOT outside of the box thinkers. We are lazy. It is so much easier to just embrace other people's ideals than to come up with our own, let alone the social implications of casting everything else aside.

But what we fail to realize is that if a higher power does exist, then he/she/it is something that we obviously have not experienced. We have no point of reference. If physics cant lead us to god, then surely even our own imagination can not.

In conclusion, I think questioning a religion is something that can actually strengthen your faith, not weaken it. Any religious person should be able to understand this. If they can not, then they simply are not adhering to religion for the right reasons...

Gjallarhorn

N'yog-Sothep

Doubt is good, to start. Doubting at the first sign of disappointment though is bad.