• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

This is why I do not trust the police

I will stand by my claim that when actually investigated the police usually do not come out as being in the wrong

Incidents that actually get investigated are a tiny minority of the total incidents of police misconduct. The ones which do get investigated also have to come up against a culture of police covering each other's backs. Then there is a very high bar to clear to 'prove' their response was inappropriate.

The deck is very much stacked in their favour.

There is a sizeable minority of cops who enjoy their power and use it abusively. Any profession has its 'bad apples', and joining the police is also attractive people with a certain mindset. Also the nature of police work can create an us against them attitude.

Even if we assume (very generously) that 90% of cops are paladins of virtue, that still leaves a whole lot of problems. It also makes it reasonable to distrust cops in general as you can't tell the good from the bad from a distance.

Are you an advocate of body cams? I am. The protect both the police and the accused. LA is a fairly modern city. Don't the cops there have body cams?

In general a good thing, although we can expect plenty of 'malfunctions' at convenient times. Being caught on camera committing abuses still isn't always enough though, as the Eric Garner case clearly demonstrated.

The deck is still stacked.

Epic Beard Man

Bearded Philosopher
Let's go over your last claim first. You do not seem to realize that Eric Garner,

The rest of the post that you ignored explained why. Quoting out of context is almost always an improper debating technique. Why use it?

Eric Garner?

You assume I refuse to approach this as an adult. Well you challenge my maturity. I just don’t kiss a$$ to cops like you do.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Eric Garner?

You assume I refuse to approach this as an adult. Well you challenge my maturity. I just don’t kiss a$$ to cops like you do.

Sorry, I had started a response to another and deleted all but one line of it since I decided that post did not merit a response. I missed that one line. And it is sad to see that you still can't act as an adult. False accusations and useless cursing are not marks of maturity.

Shad

Veteran Member
While I somewhat support the point the OP is trying to make, isn't the generic assertion of not trusting (any) police exactly the same kind of profiling that is implied in police officers not trusting any black people?

Remember what trust actually means. I see it as irrational to trust cops as a whole and to extend trust to individuals you or I know nothing about. Especially in America where the cops have often enforced draconian law such as Jim Crow, are answerable to elected official and their commands such as sanctuary cities.

Cops do not trust people as evident by investigation procedures. Often those procedures promote lying by the cops to trip up a citizen under suspicion.

Just to add my own experiences. I have had cops draw and point their weapon at me 3 times freaking out (yelling). Each time the cop apologized once they realized what they were doing. Each time the cop was reassigned to my city from a city which just had a cop murdered as they told me why they are "edgy or on edge". These cops had PTSD but were still working.They pulled their weapons as their mindset was still grounded in those murders. This was in Canada, by the RCMP and I am not a minority nor female. (demographics can often dictate treatment by cops)

The OP in question include demographic profiling which has gone nuts by American use. Epic Beard Man (sorry no idea how to tag a user) fits within a well known demographic due to statistics and procedure. He is a black male that appears to be in the age range of 16-28 in a city with ghettos (LA city planning created this). This demographic damns him without him doing anything but being himself in that city.