• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

This is why I do not trust the police

Epic Beard Man

Bearded Philosopher
*The following recently happened and is an anecdote however given the climate that many black and brown individuals face in the inner city, this event is indicative of the type of profiling that goes on.

I was recently stopped yesterday and placed in the back seat of a police car for investigatory reasons. now to get here let me dial it back to the beginning. Prior to going to work, I was having car trouble at my house as my car wouldn't kick over so no worries I ended up calling uber on my phone app and sure enough I was on my way. Now twelve hours later, I needed a ride back home and one of the RNs in my department didn't mind helping me out to drop me off. Now during my shift, my uncle was recently hospitalized for high fever and incontinence so to check on him I prompted my co-worker to drop me off on his street which was a block over from my house. While walking, I had spotted two L.A. County Sherriff deputies patrolling his street doing all kinds of U-Turns in apparent attempt to look for someone. I made eye contact with one, waved my hand in a salutation and kept it moving.

Approximately not even a minute later as I was coming up to my uncle's house the same deputy whom I've made eye contact with drove and jumped the side walk I was on only to hop out and ask me if I was the one that had witnessed a car accident a couple days ago. I concurred that an accident did occur around that time in which I administered assistance to a young lady who was disorient and who appeared to have been released from my hospital (she word blue "scrub" pants and our hospital socks not to mention I asked her if she was released and she did acknowledge in the affirmative, and she was also a psychiatric patient). Apparently according to this deputy the detective working on that case wanted to identify me because apparently in that major cross street there are several cameras somehow they singled me out among others who were there.

The deputy then told me to turn around and place my hands in an upside down prayer position while being detained and searched. I asked the officer why am I being detained, and according to the officer, he stated I was being detained because the detective wanted to identify me. I informed the officer that I'm a hospital employee, and I just got off of work and was visiting my uncle. Apparently, the officer knew I was obviously an employee considering in my right back pocket I had hospital gloves, and my badge as he placed it on the hood of his vehicle. The officer then placed me in the back seat of his patrol vehicle (I'm 6ft and 230lbs and this was extremely uncomfortable) where I was to wait while he called the detective. Shocked as I was, I tried to recall the events of that accident to see if I had done anything wrong.

While the officer was on the phone I overheard him say to whoever he was speaking to on the phone that "I didn't run his name for any criminal background." The officer hung up the phone, asked me my name and date of birth and ran my name. I asked the officer why is my name being ran. the officer said, "to identify who you are." Who knew that doing a good deed would land me in the back seat of a patrol vehicle. Now in my mind if this was a mishap of information and considering I was never questioned on scene and also considering I assisted the officer upon arrival, I didn't realize I'd be criminally investigated for something that had nothing to do with me. After running my name nothing popped up he shut his computer off and let me out and I was free to go.

With a smile on his face, he apologized and went about his business. This is one of many examples. I've been stopped on foot and was frisked without provocation. I don't even wear hats any more since certain hats are associated with certain gangs. More importantly, what bothers me wasn't the fact I was questioned, what bothers me was that I was questioned with my hospital attire on and treated as if I committed a crime. Of course I could have pressed the issue but usually complaints really don't get you nowhere but many of us in these communities get our rights violated and sadly enough, we've become complacent.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
It's sad to say that you were lucky given what's happened to some. Your crimes, walking while black and breathing while black, were fortunately minor while still being outrageous.

Frog

Cult of Kek.
*The following recently happened and is an anecdote however given the climate that many black and brown individuals face in the inner city, this event is indicative of the type of profiling that goes on.

I was recently stopped yesterday and placed in the back seat of a police car for investigatory reasons. now to get here let me dial it back to the beginning. Prior to going to work, I was having car trouble at my house as my car wouldn't kick over so no worries I ended up calling uber on my phone app and sure enough I was on my way. Now twelve hours later, I needed a ride back home and one of the RNs in my department didn't mind helping me out to drop me off. Now during my shift, my uncle was recently hospitalized for high fever and incontinence so to check on him I prompted my co-worker to drop me off on his street which was a block over from my house. While walking, I had spotted two L.A. County Sherriff deputies patrolling his street doing all kinds of U-Turns in apparent attempt to look for someone. I made eye contact with one, waved my hand in a salutation and kept it moving.

Approximately not even a minute later as I was coming up to my uncle's house the same deputy whom I've made eye contact with drove and jumped the side walk I was on only to hop out and ask me if I was the one that had witnessed a car accident a couple days ago. I concurred that an accident did occur around that time in which I administered assistance to a young lady who was disorient and who appeared to have been released from my hospital (she word blue "scrub" pants and our hospital socks not to mention I asked her if she was released and she did acknowledge in the affirmative, and she was also a psychiatric patient). Apparently according to this deputy the detective working on that case wanted to identify me because apparently in that major cross street there are several cameras somehow they singled me out among others who were there.

The deputy then told me to turn around and place my hands in an upside down prayer position while being detained and searched. I asked the officer why am I being detained, and according to the officer, he stated I was being detained because the detective wanted to identify me. I informed the officer that I'm a hospital employee, and I just got off of work and was visiting my uncle. Apparently, the officer knew I was obviously an employee considering in my right back pocket I had hospital gloves, and my badge as he placed it on the hood of his vehicle. The officer then placed me in the back seat of his patrol vehicle (I'm 6ft and 230lbs and this was extremely uncomfortable) where I was to wait while he called the detective. Shocked as I was, I tried to recall the events of that accident to see if I had done anything wrong.

While the officer was on the phone I overheard him say to whoever he was speaking to on the phone that "I didn't run his name for any criminal background." The officer hung up the phone, asked me my name and date of birth and ran my name. I asked the officer why is my name being ran. the officer said, "to identify who you are." Who knew that doing a good deed would land me in the back seat of a patrol vehicle. Now in my mind if this was a mishap of information and considering I was never questioned on scene and also considering I assisted the officer upon arrival, I didn't realize I'd be criminally investigated for something that had nothing to do with me. After running my name nothing popped up he shut his computer off and let me out and I was free to go.

With a smile on his face, he apologized and went about his business. This is one of many examples. I've been stopped on foot and was frisked without provocation. I don't even wear hats any more since certain hats are associated with certain gangs. More importantly, what bothers me wasn't the fact I was questioned, what bothers me was that I was questioned with my hospital attire on and treated as if I committed a crime. Of course I could have pressed the issue but usually complaints really don't get you nowhere but many of us in these communities get our rights violated and sadly enough, we've become complacent.
Its kind of your own fault for getting involved in their investigation.

rocala

There are a huge number of policemen / women in this world. Your post might begin to be sensible if either your title or the section of the forum in which you post had some sort of geographical reference.

Frog

Cult of Kek.
There are a huge number of policemen / women in this world. Your post might begin to be sensible if either your title or the section of the forum in which you post had some sort of geographical reference.
Better yet she had recored the incident.
If she requests freedom of information act for her footage of that scene maybe. But this post sounds like Nazism and a cry out because one does not understand what it means to be subjected to authority.

rocala

Better yet she had recored the incident.
If she requests freedom of information act for her footage of that scene maybe. But this post sounds like Nazism and a cry out because one does not understand what it means to be subjected to authority.
I still want to know why ALL police officers are being accused here.

Hockeycowboy

Witness for Jehovah
Premium Member

That's sad! There should be some procedure in place to provide compensation, when someone is wrongfully detained and they are humiliated....that's what it is: humiliation.

I'm sorry you went through that!

Epic Beard Man

Bearded Philosopher
That's sad! There should be some procedure in place to provide compensation, when someone is wrongfully detained and they are humiliated....that's what it is: humiliation.

I'm sorry you went through that!

My first guess was the officer forgot to include me in the report, but I was asking some of the officers that come into the ER if this was a part of procedure and they're like "that's weird, if they were going to identify you, they can do it while you're standing outside a patrol car." One officer was like "you're sadly a victim of profiling, and even though you did the right thing, that area [the area of the accident where I was] is a haven for drugs. Most likely the one cause the accident was under a criminal investigation and you just happened to make first contact. Whatever the reason, they shouldn't have had you in the back seat considering you guys [my hospital] helps our officers out."

Funny thing is the city cops know us and tend to let us off the hook on some BS stuff that others would get tickets over but I wasn't even driving and this dude jumped the curb just to catch up to me. I thought dude was looking for someone else! What this means is never get involved to help someone else.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
My first guess was the officer forgot to include me in the report, but I was asking some of the officers that come into the ER if this was a part of procedure and they're like "that's weird, if they were going to identify you, they can do it while you're standing outside a patrol car." One officer was like "you're sadly a victim of profiling, and even though you did the right thing, that area [the area of the accident where I was] is a haven for drugs. Most likely the one cause the accident was under a criminal investigation and you just happened to make first contact. Whatever the reason, they shouldn't have had you in the back seat considering you guys [my hospital] helps our officers out."

Funny thing is the city cops know us and tend to let us off the hook on some BS stuff that others would get tickets over but I wasn't even driving and this dude jumped the curb just to catch up to me. I thought dude was looking for someone else! What this means is never get involved to help someone else.

I would not judge all cops by one incompetent cop. Odds are that the cops you talked to will have a little talking with the one that screwed up. People will tend to profile. It is instinctual and hopefully they are training people to avoid that, though there will always be some that screw up.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
I would not judge all cops by one incompetent cop. Odds are that the cops you talked to will have a little talking with the one that screwed up. People will tend to profile. It is instinctual and hopefully they are training people to avoid that, though there will always be some that screw up.
I've even been in cop cars over some ****ed up bs. Until police start holding other police accountable, I am judging them all. It's not one incompetent cop but an entire system of systematic abuse and cover ups.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
I've even been in cop cars over some ****ed up bs. Until police start holding other police accountable, I am judging them all. It's not one incompetent cop but an entire system of systematic abuse and cover ups.

I have been in the back of cop cars twice, but each time it was a welcome trip. The first time I had broken three bones, badly, in my left foot. Free ride to the university hospital by university police at 2:00 AM. The second time was after I was in a hit and run. I was walking to a local grocery store, went to cross the last street when a car, that had been at a complete stop took a left turn into me. Up and over the hood and onto the pavement. I was not hurt too badly except for a slight gash above one eye. I got a free ride home. He got a call on the way so it was a very rapid trip. Each street had a stop sign so he was on the gas and then the brake all the way.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
I have been in the back of cop cars twice, but each time it was a welcome trip. The first time I had broken three bones, badly, in my left foot. Free ride to the university hospital by university police at 2:00 AM. The second time was after I was in a hit and run. I was walking to a local grocery store, went to cross the last street when a car, that had been at a complete stop took a left turn into me. Up and over the hood and onto the pavement. I was not hurt too badly except for a slight gash above one eye. I got a free ride home. He got a call on the way so it was a very rapid trip. Each street had a stop sign so he was on the gas and then the brake all the way.
Have you been in one because the cop wanted to smell your breath?

Epic Beard Man

Bearded Philosopher

Yeah I've heard this before. The sad thing is people forget when it comes to Sherriff Deputies, before they become beat cops, they have a stint in the jails so a lot of them come out with that hardcore jail mentality. Cops in the Compton, Watts, Lynwood, Los Angeles areas have more bad than good. you guys don't understand because you're not out here. This is the third time I was stopped in my hospital uniform on foot. My shirt literally said "Emergency Department. What criminal is walking around with a work badge, and some hospital gloves looking to do crime? It's hard to not judge. I've been stopped wearing a philly hat. I've been stopped wearing a dodger hat. I've been stopped and asked if I'm on probation or parole simply for walking down the street.

We (I say we as in people in my city) get stopped so many times that we've become complacent to the injustices that affect us. I think the only thing that would open people's eyes is a documentary of everyday people who live in the inner city. I'm not talking about people who are hanging around trouble makers, but actual people who are profiled and to document how often people that look like me are always stopped. Look I'm 6'0 athletically built guy with tattoos but I'm educated and I work for a living. The problem is the being 6'0 and athletic build and tattoos I'm automatically a gang member in the eyes of law enforcement.

This cop gets it in this video