1. Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

This is why I do not trust the police

Discussion in 'General Debates' started by Epic Beard Man, Aug 29, 2018.

1. Shadow Wolf

Shadow Wolf Rival's Wife

Ratings:
    +28,221
    Religion:
    God is in the Rain
    Yes to both.
    ETA: for clarity, there was literally no where for me to run to or go to when this happened. Both times I was in a cop car, there isn't much hiding when it's a mile or two to the next intersection.

2. Subduction Zone

Subduction Zone Veteran Member

Ratings:
    +23,580
    Religion:
    Atheist
    Different areas are going to have different training, and different environments. Here being Latino and of high school age would mark one as being in a gang. I will have to watch the video when I have some time.

3. Subduction Zone

Ratings:
    +23,580
    Religion:
    Atheist
    One loses quite a few "rights" when one drives. Most states have it written in when you accept a licence that you are also allow police to test you if they feel suspicious. Why did he not just breathalyze you? In many states just refusing to take a breathalyzer test can cause instant suspension of one's license.

4. Shadow Wolf

Shadow Wolf Rival's Wife

Ratings:
    +28,221
    Religion:
    God is in the Rain
    I don't know. But the sheriff that had me then, he's known throughout the mid-to-southern part of the county as an *******.

5. Kangaroo Feathers

Kangaroo Feathers Yea, it is written in the Book of Cyril...

Ratings:
    +8,448
    Religion:
    Catholic
    When I'm pulled over for an RBT, if I'm not in a hurry, I make a point of making the cop in question record in writting that I will comply with his directions, but do so under protest as I believe the practice infringes on my right to a presumption of innocence.

6. Subduction Zone

Ratings:
    +23,580
    Religion:
    Atheist
    I doubt if that would have any effect on a trial. In my youth I overindulged at times, not very often, and I was lucky I guess. Never got caught, never got in an accident. One time it was work related and I got nominated to drive since I was the least drunk out of four. Best to avoid drinking and driving altogether.

7. Earthling

Earthling David Henson

Ratings:
    +758
    Religion:
    Bible Believer
    I understand why you might think that way, but I hope you don't continue in that thinking. Especially given your work. As the Latin term says: Abusus non tollit usum: abuse does not cancel use : misuse of something is no argument against its proper use.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Kangaroo Feathers

Ratings:
    +8,448
    Religion:
    Catholic
    Oh, I never drink and drive, and I'm not suggesting trying it to avoid a brethalyser. It's just my way of letting the cops know the population isn't completely cowed by them. It's only a small thing, I know.

9. Subduction Zone

Ratings:
    +23,580
    Religion:
    Atheist
    I don't think they will be too impressed. When people tell the cops "I know my rights" they rarely do. Still the ones that I have met both socially and in law enforcement issues, tend to take their job seriously. I have been lucky enough not to run into any that I would qualify as jerks.

10. Kangaroo Feathers

Ratings:
    +8,448
    Religion:
    Catholic
    It's not an "I know my rights" type exercise. Like I say, I comply with their instructions.

11. HonestJoe

HonestJoe Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,577
    Religion:
    None
    While I somewhat support the point the OP is trying to make, isn't the generic assertion of not trusting (any) police exactly the same kind of profiling that is implied in police officers not trusting any black people?

• Like Like x 1
  12. Buddha Dharma

Buddha Dharma Dharma Practitioner

Ratings:
    +1,488
    Religion:
    Bhedabheda Vedanta
    I think we always have to be skeptical of law enforcement, and keep them up to task- even in the best of scenarios. Because it's easy to misuse such a position, and because- law enforcement can actually be enforcing unjust laws. Then it isn't living up to the ideal of justice.

It is noted that at the Nuremburg trials many of the Nazis answered the accusations with 'simply following orders'. I think these are good points of consideration for why we always need to objective toward law enforcement.

13. Earthling

Earthling David Henson

Ratings:
    +758
    Religion:
    Bible Believer
    It isn't about one cop, if it were about one cop we wouldn't be having this discussion, with such a wide variety of people having the same opinion and experience. It's about a system that is corrupt and broken. It's about a nation of statutes, acts and regulations and hidden taxes (fines and licences) instead of laws. Then each cop has to follow the pack for survival and protection of their own. It becomes us against them when it was meant to be protect and serve. It's about fear. Its about racism incorporated by greed. It's about privatization of a prison state. It's about a need to fulfill a quota - stats - created by corrupt politics that derives profits from arrests and the systematic and unfair incarceration of dark skinned people for private gain and the political manipulation that encourages it for profit and control.

14. Stevicus

Stevicus Veteran Member
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +10,644
    Religion:
    Agnostic
    I generally don't trust police either. I think a lot of the problem is that people put far too much trust and authority in them, simply because of their uniform or badge. I've heard of the phenomenon where some people get drunk with power the minute they put on a badge or uniform, but it's also true from the other side, where people automatically give deference and respect merely because of a badge or uniform.

It's similar with the pseudo-patriotic mentality of "support the troops" or that "they're fighting for our freedom."

The idea is that we are expected to respect their authority "just because," and it's this mentality which gives cops license to do what they do. If more people would question them, call them to account, and stop running interference on their behalf when others question/criticize the police, then I have a feeling that we'd get better behavior out of the police department.

Actually, that would probably be true about the entire government as a whole, if only people would question authority more often. The trouble is that too many are all too willing and eager to run interference on behalf of the cops or the military or the intel agencies or other aspects of the government. There is too much faith that "the system works," and it's this faith which leads to the kinds of abuses we've been seeing.

15. rocala

rocala Active Member

Ratings:
    +615
    Religion:
    Buddhism / Druidry
    And your qualification to write about the police of this world is what exactly?

16. Stevicus

Stevicus Veteran Member
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +10,644
    Religion:
    Agnostic
    It's also stories like this which make one wonder: Video shows cop-suspect trackside scuffle before train kills man

What strikes me is that they said it took "months" before the police would actually release the video footage. It's that kind of stonewalling and refusal to release information that also makes the police look bad.

If it's really just a few bad apples, then the police should have nothing to hide. There's nothing to gain by maintaining this culture of secrecy and their lack of transparency.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Earthling

Earthling David Henson

Ratings:
    +758
    Religion:
    Bible Believer
    My qualifications? A citizen and observer. Or should I graduate the Maritime School of Critics of the police state? Get a degree to frame and hang on my wall. Would that impress you? Are you qualified to ask me stupid questions? Did you graduate the Academy Of Stupid Questions?

18. rocala

rocala Active Member

Ratings:
    +615
    Religion:
    Buddhism / Druidry
    A citizen of what? What citizenship do you hold that entitles you to make derogatory statements of people doing a particular job in countries, cities etc that you have never been to, and in some cases probably never even heard of.

19. Subduction Zone

Ratings:
    +23,580
    Religion:
    Atheist
    And yet the vast majority of supposed abuses are not when investigated .

Policing is a high risk job and errors will be made. Two things make policing more difficult in the U.S. than in other countries. Our high diversity is both a strength and a weakness. On the downside diversity tends to create communities where people feel that they are opposed to others. Europe is just beginning to run into that sort of problem in areas of high immigrants. Unfortunately @Epic Beard Man was a victim of this sort of us against them mentality that a cop had. The system is far from broken, it could definitely be improved, but we are going to have these sorts of problems due to our diversity as a nation.

By the way, fines and licenses are not hidden taxes. That is the sort of claim that one of the loony Sovereign Citizens would claim. As a supposed Christian you should be following the Bible, especially the New Testament in these matters.

20. Earthling

Earthling David Henson

Ratings:
    +758
    Religion:
    Bible Believer
    I'm a citizen of these United States Of America, mister! And as such I have the inalienable right to make derogatory statements of people doing a particular job in this county, so you better watch out or I shall practice this upon the as well!