• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

This is why I do not trust the police

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
I'm a citizen of these United States Of America, mister! And as such I have the inalienable right to make derogatory statements of people doing a particular job in this county, so you better watch out or I shall practice this upon the as well!

Yep, that is your right. Others have the right to laugh at you when you make foolish and ignorant statements.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
That's the American way, sir. You got a hang up on ignorance as applying to anything you disagree with don't you old timer?

I find ignorance and rudeness a very bad combination. There really is no excuse for it on a forum. This is a chance for you to learn from your errors. Why don't you try that for once? You might be pleasantly surprised by the results.

And no, it it is a terribly false claim to say that things I disagree with are ignorance. There are many with different political views than mine that can support their beliefs. I may not agree with them, but at least they can make a cogent argument. And there are those that are both more conservative and more liberal than I that can do so.

Remember, the proper attitude when you do not understand something is to ask questions properly and politely. This is a behavior that you would benefit from.

rocala

I'm a citizen of these United States Of America, mister! And as such I have the inalienable right to make derogatory statements of people doing a particular job in this county
Hmm, I do not recall this post referring to any particular country, hence my objection. You know where you can stick your inalienable( and I suggest racsist) right mister.

Earthling

David Henson
Hmm, I do not recall this post referring to any particular country, hence my objection. You know where you can stick your inalienable( and I suggest racsist) right mister.

Well, I know for a fact that it's the same in Britain as it is in the U.S. A. but I can only imagine it's either just as bad or worse in most places. With the exception of a few nations like France and Norway, that I'm aware of. But since the OP was specifically mentioning the police in the U.S.A. that is the country which I was referring specifically to.

Racist? Explain that empty accusation, please?

Earthling

David Henson
I find ignorance and rudeness a very bad combination.

But you seem very adept at that smug sort of self righteous dismissal and dishonest slandering. A more subtle and insidious rudeness. You are interested in looking good so you don't have to be good. That's an atheist thing, isn't it. Or maybe a product of over education. By that I mean a false sense of superiority. You were basically taught that this and this and this is what enlightened or an educated gentleman is supposed to believe well founded, but it's all nonsense. So when you come across something like the Bible, which you know almost nothing about, you have that confident ignorance that is so transparent to everyone but yourself. That's atheist. I find that a very bad combination.

There really is no excuse for it on a forum.

Yeah there is, actually.

This is a chance for you to learn from your errors. Why don't you try that for once? You might be pleasantly surprised by the results.

Why don't you **** yourself.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
But you seem very adept at that smug sort of self righteous dismissal and dishonest slandering. A more subtle and insidious rudeness. You are interested in looking good so you don't have to be good. That's an atheist thing, isn't it. Or maybe a product of over education. By that I mean a false sense of superiority. You were basically taught that this and this and this is what enlightened or an educated gentleman is supposed to believe well founded, but it's all nonsense. So when you come across something like the Bible, which you know almost nothing about, you have that confident ignorance that is so transparent to everyone but yourself. That's atheist. I find that a very bad combination.

Hardly. You are merely projecting again. I am far from smug. I am willing to help the ignorant. You may have a well earned inferiority complex and this is a way of striking back at others for you. And you have a terrible understanding of the Bible. You make several basic errors in your approach to it that limits your ability to understand it. By the way, any sense of superiority that I have over you is only confirmed by your posts.

And you have no idea how atheists work. Atheists know that they can't say I am sorry to an imaginary friend and everything will be okay. If I do something wrong it is up to me to make it right. Unlike too many Christians we do have a proper sense of right and wrong and how to try to make things better. No atheist is perfect, but hopefully we try to clean up our own messes.

Yeah there is, actually.

Really? I would like to hear it.

Why don't you **** yourself.

Now see, this is the sort of attitude that will trap you in ignorance. This is not a Christian attitude. Amazingly enough almost every atheist here follows the teachings of Jesus better than you do.

Shad

Veteran Member
I've even been in cop cars over some ****ed up bs. Until police start holding other police accountable, I am judging them all. It's not one incompetent cop but an entire system of systematic abuse and cover ups.

For America I would, if I were American, advocate for a separate investigation department not attached to the police such as the Canadian system. Internal investigation failed repeatedly here so the government took action to remove the problem at the source; cops investigating cops.

rocala

Well, I know for a fact that it's the same in Britain as it is in the U.S. A. but I can only imagine it's either just as bad or worse in most places
1/The key word here is "imagne" in other words you are making it up.
2/ The OP was not specifying the U.S. police it was titled "Why I do not Trust the Police" and it was placed in a general sction of the forum. In case you have not noticed the internet is part of the WORLD WIDE WEB. Your failure to acknowledge this is the reason that I referred to your comment as rascist and that I continue to consider you as one.

Epic Beard Man

Bearded Philosopher
Different areas are going to have different training, and different environments. Here being Latino and of high school age would mark one as being in a gang. I will have to watch the video when I have some time.

But as one member here said they're all trained the same way

Epic Beard Man

Bearded Philosopher

I understand why you might think that way, but I hope you don't continue in that thinking. Especially given your work. As the Latin term says: Abusus non tollit usum: abuse does not cancel use : misuse of something is no argument against its proper use.

Wise words.. Of course I do not think all cops are bad, but my encounter has made me wary. I just thought considering my department is a trauma unit and a lot of times I have to deal with family and having to assist police, I would've thought the police would see us as a part of their team. I guess not.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member

Are they? I am unaware of a universal training center for the police. I know that in my area the Seattle police got in trouble for uneven application of the law and massive work was done on the department. There may be similarities, but I am betting that from state to state there will be large differences on how they are trained.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Wise words.. Of course I do not think all cops are bad, but my encounter has made me wary. I just thought considering my department is a trauma unit and a lot of times I have to deal with family and having to assist police, I would've thought the police would see us as a part of their team. I guess not.

Unfortunately, and unfairly, you fit into the category of "criminal" for the uneducated. One would think that a cop could realize that not too many street thugs wear hospital scrubs. They are not exactly the most fashionable clothing items out there. They need to learn to look beyond your skin color and build.

You probably know some cops, you might want to ask a follow up question on the one that pulled you over. See if you can politely ask if they had a little talking to him. Cops, like everyone else, do not like to look foolish and the one that gave you a hard time made the rest of his comrades look bad.

Epic Beard Man

Bearded Philosopher
Unfortunately, and unfairly, you fit into the category of "criminal" for the uneducated. One would think that a cop could realize that not too many street thugs wear hospital scrubs. They are not exactly the most fashionable clothing items out there. They need to learn to look beyond your skin color and build.

You probably know some cops, you might want to ask a follow up question on the one that pulled you over. See if you can politely ask if they had a little talking to him. Cops, like everyone else, do not like to look foolish and the one that gave you a hard time made the rest of his comrades look bad.

Well I did follow up and ask....

But yeah I do fit the description as I was told which makes me trust them even less because I am pre-judged without even spoken to. As the Baltimore cop video said, beat cops do not get out and talk to the public. They are seen as enforcers.

Earthling

David Henson
1/The key word here is "imagne" in other words you are making it up.
2/ The OP was not specifying the U.S. police it was titled "Why I do not Trust the Police" and it was placed in a general sction of the forum. In case you have not noticed the internet is part of the WORLD WIDE WEB. Your failure to acknowledge this is the reason that I referred to your comment as rascist and that I continue to consider you as one.

Well, then, you're an idiot. There's nothing I can say.

sealchan

*The following recently happened and is an anecdote however given the climate that many black and brown individuals face in the inner city, this event is indicative of the type of profiling that goes on.

I was recently stopped yesterday and placed in the back seat of a police car for investigatory reasons. now to get here let me dial it back to the beginning. Prior to going to work, I was having car trouble at my house as my car wouldn't kick over so no worries I ended up calling uber on my phone app and sure enough I was on my way. Now twelve hours later, I needed a ride back home and one of the RNs in my department didn't mind helping me out to drop me off. Now during my shift, my uncle was recently hospitalized for high fever and incontinence so to check on him I prompted my co-worker to drop me off on his street which was a block over from my house. While walking, I had spotted two L.A. County Sherriff deputies patrolling his street doing all kinds of U-Turns in apparent attempt to look for someone. I made eye contact with one, waved my hand in a salutation and kept it moving.

Approximately not even a minute later as I was coming up to my uncle's house the same deputy whom I've made eye contact with drove and jumped the side walk I was on only to hop out and ask me if I was the one that had witnessed a car accident a couple days ago. I concurred that an accident did occur around that time in which I administered assistance to a young lady who was disorient and who appeared to have been released from my hospital (she word blue "scrub" pants and our hospital socks not to mention I asked her if she was released and she did acknowledge in the affirmative, and she was also a psychiatric patient). Apparently according to this deputy the detective working on that case wanted to identify me because apparently in that major cross street there are several cameras somehow they singled me out among others who were there.

The deputy then told me to turn around and place my hands in an upside down prayer position while being detained and searched. I asked the officer why am I being detained, and according to the officer, he stated I was being detained because the detective wanted to identify me. I informed the officer that I'm a hospital employee, and I just got off of work and was visiting my uncle. Apparently, the officer knew I was obviously an employee considering in my right back pocket I had hospital gloves, and my badge as he placed it on the hood of his vehicle. The officer then placed me in the back seat of his patrol vehicle (I'm 6ft and 230lbs and this was extremely uncomfortable) where I was to wait while he called the detective. Shocked as I was, I tried to recall the events of that accident to see if I had done anything wrong.

While the officer was on the phone I overheard him say to whoever he was speaking to on the phone that "I didn't run his name for any criminal background." The officer hung up the phone, asked me my name and date of birth and ran my name. I asked the officer why is my name being ran. the officer said, "to identify who you are." Who knew that doing a good deed would land me in the back seat of a patrol vehicle. Now in my mind if this was a mishap of information and considering I was never questioned on scene and also considering I assisted the officer upon arrival, I didn't realize I'd be criminally investigated for something that had nothing to do with me. After running my name nothing popped up he shut his computer off and let me out and I was free to go.

With a smile on his face, he apologized and went about his business. This is one of many examples. I've been stopped on foot and was frisked without provocation. I don't even wear hats any more since certain hats are associated with certain gangs. More importantly, what bothers me wasn't the fact I was questioned, what bothers me was that I was questioned with my hospital attire on and treated as if I committed a crime. Of course I could have pressed the issue but usually complaints really don't get you nowhere but many of us in these communities get our rights violated and sadly enough, we've become complacent.
*The following recently happened and is an anecdote however given the climate that many black and brown individuals face in the inner city, this event is indicative of the type of profiling that goes on.

I was recently stopped yesterday and placed in the back seat of a police car for investigatory reasons. now to get here let me dial it back to the beginning. Prior to going to work, I was having car trouble at my house as my car wouldn't kick over so no worries I ended up calling uber on my phone app and sure enough I was on my way. Now twelve hours later, I needed a ride back home and one of the RNs in my department didn't mind helping me out to drop me off. Now during my shift, my uncle was recently hospitalized for high fever and incontinence so to check on him I prompted my co-worker to drop me off on his street which was a block over from my house. While walking, I had spotted two L.A. County Sherriff deputies patrolling his street doing all kinds of U-Turns in apparent attempt to look for someone. I made eye contact with one, waved my hand in a salutation and kept it moving.

Approximately not even a minute later as I was coming up to my uncle's house the same deputy whom I've made eye contact with drove and jumped the side walk I was on only to hop out and ask me if I was the one that had witnessed a car accident a couple days ago. I concurred that an accident did occur around that time in which I administered assistance to a young lady who was disorient and who appeared to have been released from my hospital (she word blue "scrub" pants and our hospital socks not to mention I asked her if she was released and she did acknowledge in the affirmative, and she was also a psychiatric patient). Apparently according to this deputy the detective working on that case wanted to identify me because apparently in that major cross street there are several cameras somehow they singled me out among others who were there.

The deputy then told me to turn around and place my hands in an upside down prayer position while being detained and searched. I asked the officer why am I being detained, and according to the officer, he stated I was being detained because the detective wanted to identify me. I informed the officer that I'm a hospital employee, and I just got off of work and was visiting my uncle. Apparently, the officer knew I was obviously an employee considering in my right back pocket I had hospital gloves, and my badge as he placed it on the hood of his vehicle. The officer then placed me in the back seat of his patrol vehicle (I'm 6ft and 230lbs and this was extremely uncomfortable) where I was to wait while he called the detective. Shocked as I was, I tried to recall the events of that accident to see if I had done anything wrong.

While the officer was on the phone I overheard him say to whoever he was speaking to on the phone that "I didn't run his name for any criminal background." The officer hung up the phone, asked me my name and date of birth and ran my name. I asked the officer why is my name being ran. the officer said, "to identify who you are." Who knew that doing a good deed would land me in the back seat of a patrol vehicle. Now in my mind if this was a mishap of information and considering I was never questioned on scene and also considering I assisted the officer upon arrival, I didn't realize I'd be criminally investigated for something that had nothing to do with me. After running my name nothing popped up he shut his computer off and let me out and I was free to go.

With a smile on his face, he apologized and went about his business. This is one of many examples. I've been stopped on foot and was frisked without provocation. I don't even wear hats any more since certain hats are associated with certain gangs. More importantly, what bothers me wasn't the fact I was questioned, what bothers me was that I was questioned with my hospital attire on and treated as if I committed a crime. Of course I could have pressed the issue but usually complaints really don't get you nowhere but many of us in these communities get our rights violated and sadly enough, we've become complacent.

I can see no good reason for physically detaining a person who is cooperating...it sounds to me like the police are operating under some sort of pressure to treat people as guilty before accepting them as innocent. I can accept that they ask for your information and run a background check but to make you do anything else seems to be outside of any reasonable procedure.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Well I did follow up and ask....

But yeah I do fit the description as I was told which makes me trust them even less because I am pre-judged without even spoken to. As the Baltimore cop video said, beat cops do not get out and talk to the public. They are seen as enforcers.
So a suspect wearing scrubs. Sounds interesting. Part of the problem with cops not getting out to meet the people might be that there are fewer police per capita than in the past. They may be too busy dealing with problems rather than dealing with people. Most civilians do not know any policemen on a first name basis. When police only deal with problems they tend to look at all people that way.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member

There may be procedural differences and different laws from state to state. However, one thing that seems common for all police officers is their need to assert their authority in all situations. That's what was explained to me by a former top sergeant with the local police here. If they believe anyone is bucking police authority, they have to come down hard on them. The police officer doesn't really have any choice in the matter, as it's considered part of their duty for the good of the department. They can't allow anyone to defy them or disrespect police authority.

I think that's part of their mind game - they have to show people who's boss.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
There may be procedural differences and different laws from state to state. However, one thing that seems common for all police officers is their need to assert their authority in all situations. That's what was explained to me by a former top sergeant with the local police here. If they believe anyone is bucking police authority, they have to come down hard on them. The police officer doesn't really have any choice in the matter, as it's considered part of their duty for the good of the department. They can't allow anyone to defy them or disrespect police authority.

I think that's part of their mind game - they have to show people who's boss.

They cannot afford a discussion. In that they are right. The discussion occurs in a court of law.